Jump to content

Nexstar buying The CW?


The Frog

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Nexstar produces whatever is on NewsNation as well as The Hill's morning show.

 

And they are going to use The CW as a vehicle for that. Be prepared for The CW to have network newscasts.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

And they are going to use The CW as a vehicle for that. Be prepared for The CW to have network newscasts.

IMO, The Hill would be a good branding for CW network newscasts and is a stronger brand compared to NewsNation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 12:15 AM, newsteam13 said:

Moreover, Nexstar has a news network called NewsNation. Will the CW have itself a news division by way of NewsNation?

 

20 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Be prepared for The CW to have network newscasts.

 

FOX has a news division that's been around since 1996, and they still don't have regular newscasts on its stations (besides Fox News Sunday). If Nexstar does buy The CW, I wouldn't expect them to have any regular news shows either, even with NewsNation as their sister division.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, kfc513 said:

 

 

FOX has a news division that's been around since 1996, and they still don't have regular newscasts on its stations (besides Fox News Sunday). If Nexstar does buy The CW, I wouldn't expect them to have any regular news shows either, even with NewsNation as their sister division.

Perhaps not regularly, but I can see them occasionally covering certain national events like elections and presidential addresses, like Fox does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kfc513 said:

 

 

FOX has a news division that's been around since 1996, and they still don't have regular newscasts on its stations (besides Fox News Sunday). If Nexstar does buy The CW, I wouldn't expect them to have any regular news shows either, even with NewsNation as their sister division.

Maybe they'd want to be different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

Perhaps not regularly, but I can see them occasionally covering certain national events like elections and presidential addresses, like Fox does.

If most of these stations and the CW+'ers are sister stations of a Big Four station, the worst thing they could do is dilution of something you can already see on multiple other networks to the point of tossing the remote and choosing Netflix instead.

 

The WB, UPN and CW actually thrive(d) on all-hands-on-deck election nights where they're an option with fictional programming, especially for someone who either doesn't care about elections completely, there's no real races of notice in their state or locality, or would rather wait to get the numbers nicely-counted a day later than in a horserace up-to-the-minute mode with Squash-o-Vision ruining their show.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

And they are going to use The CW as a vehicle for that. Be prepared for The CW to have network newscasts.

 

And anger all the affiliates owned by Sinclair, Gray, Scripps and Hearst? Yeah good luck decimating the affiliate base trying to push a proprietary news service that practically no one is watching.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

 

And anger all the affiliates owned by Sinclair, Gray, Scripps and Hearst? Yeah good luck decimating the affiliate base trying to push a proprietary news service that practically no one is watching.

 

They can retaliate by pulling affiliations, but Nexstar will gladly take them on instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

Nexstar is more than happy.

If the CW Plus (which I would assume is also being sold) is used as a fulcrum for replacement affiliations on .2s, then it's their call. But forcing NewsNation onto the CW creates more problems than it solves.

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

They can retaliate by pulling affiliations, but Nexstar will gladly take them on instead.

Is it enough? Remember that Nexstar isn't in every market.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

They can retaliate by pulling affiliations, but Nexstar will gladly take them on instead.

 

 

16 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

 

And anger all the affiliates owned by Sinclair, Gray, Scripps and Hearst? Yeah good luck decimating the affiliate base trying to push a proprietary news service that practically no one is watching.

What about in markets like Columbia, SC where there’s no Nexstar station to take the CW affiliation that WIS 10.2 could theoretically dump in your scenario?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

 

 

What about in markets like Columbia, SC where there’s no Nexstar station to take the CW affiliation that WIS 10.2 could theoretically dump in your scenario?

 

3 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

They could either pipe it in via cable or find a somewhat friendly owner to help them out.

Or they could buy an existing LP and build an O&O from scratch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Maybe Nexstar is on a Mission to bring their operating practices to markets where they don't own a station, and can't because they're at the cap.

Not happening. They’re done gobbling up full power stations, and they even mentioned it. Should a Democratic Party-led FCC eliminate the UHF discount again, the only protection Nexstar has against this is easy divestitures like WDTN. If they simply move their stations to Mission, that’s cause for an investigation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Not happening. They’re done gobbling up full power stations, and they even mentioned it. Should a Democratic Party-led FCC eliminate the UHF discount again, the only protection Nexstar has against this is easy divestitures like WDTN. If they simply move their stations to Mission, that’s cause for an investigation.

 

But if the cap is eliminated altogether?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

But if the cap is eliminated altogether?

Nope. The cap will never be eliminated, or will it be expanded. Odds are high that the UHF Discount is a goner if but to remove one of the few things Pai actually enacted (which itself was a political response to Tom Wheeler scrubbing it the first time).

 

Heck, a case could be made that Sinclair's mishandling of their attempted purchase of Tribune did in Pai's plans for further dereg, and if HE couldn't get it done...

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I don't see The CW putting a national newscast or a public affairs show either just my opinion.

 

The linked THR article from above says NewsNation execs are "salivating" at the chance of putting news on The CW, so get used to the idea of it bud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Frog said:

 

The linked THR article from above says NewsNation execs are "salivating" at the chance of putting news on The CW, so get used to the idea of it bud. 

Sounds like it might be at 10pm Eastern. Interesting. That’s when a lot of stations run newscasts produced by CBS, NBC and ABC stations. Maybe those stations would delay them to 10:30 or 11pm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.