Nexstar buying The CW?

The Frog

11 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Would they change the network name to Nexstar?

I’m sure the affiliates owned by Scripps, Gray, CBS, Sinclair, Hearst, Sunbeam and Tegna would be delighted at that. /sarc

• Haha 7

23 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

If they gave 2:30/1:30 to the affiliates would allow CT/MT/PT an hourlong midday news but not ET. I think CBS should give the ET affiliates the choice by adding another feed of  YR and another feed of B&B. Either keep YR at 12:30 and 1:30 or move it to 1 and 2. So you’d have three feeds of Y&R at noon, 12:30 and 1 ET and two of B&B at 1:30 and 2 ET. It’s just a suggestion to give affiliates more flexibility but it might be more expensive to add more feeds. 

I support that only in which I believe that there are CBS affiliates out there that wish they had hour-long midday news. I'm looking at WINK Fort Myers and WKYT Lexington as two such examples. There's probably more out there that want to as well.

I'm thinking so does KDKA Pittsburgh and WTKR Norfolk since both are in very competive markets.

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

I’m sure the affiliates owned by Scripps, Gray, CBS, Sinclair, Hearst, Sunbeam and Tegna would be delighted at that. /sarc

Your wrong. They will change the Network name to Entertainment Nation (because of News Nation).  

P.S: I don't really think Nexstar will actually change The CW's name. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I support that only in which I believe that there are CBS affiliates out there that wish they had hour-long midday news. I'm looking at WINK Fort Myers and WKYT Lexington as two such examples. There's probably more out there that want to as well.

I'm thinking so does KDKA Pittsburgh and WTKR Norfolk since both are in very competive markets.

KD has always been dominant at noon.  30 minutes is more than enough time for news.  There's other dayparts they can sell ad time.  I wouldn't mind y&REASON moving to 3, Since wpxi moved days to 1.  That said, I barely follow the soaps anymore.

Hypothetically if b&b moved to 2 it should be an hour, standing fully on its own.  Talk has always been a waste of space/vanity project for Moonves's wife and she's not even there anymore.

Also one hour newscasts on 4 and 12 were no brainers cause Y&R was killing everything at 12:30.  The day late Access Hollywood on ch 4 was a slot warmer for ages.

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Your wrong. They will change the Network name to Entertainment Nation (because of News Nation).  

P.S: I don't really think Nexstar will actually change The CW's name. 

CBS/WB will probably retain some minority share to justify keeping the name the same for a while.

Edited by Superdude
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Superdude said:

KD has always been dominant at noon.  30 minutes is more than enough time for news.  There's other dayparts they can sell ad time.  I wouldn't mind y&REASON moving to 3, Since wpxi moved days to 1.  That said, I barely follow the soaps anymore.

Hypothetically if b&b moved to 2 it should be an hour, standing fully on its own.  Talk has always been a waste of space/vanity project for Moonves's wife and she's not even there anymore.

Also one hour newscasts on 4 and 12 were no brainers cause Y&R was killing everything at 12:30.  The day late Access Hollywood on ch 4 was a slot warmer for ages.

CBS/WB will probably retain some minority share to justify keeping the name the same for a while.

You mean 11 instead of 12?

1 hour ago, Superdude said:

CW would just be another name, despite any future obsolescence.

Even with CBS (Columbia Broadcast System), it doesn't really mean anything anymore, since the "Columbia" it was a part of (the record company) was sold off in 1988, and it, along with the unrelated "Columbia Pictures" were both sold to Sony in 1987 and 1989.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Actually thought about this before you brought it up. Could see them going with a shorter version, like Star Network, with stations branding as Star ##.

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Actually thought about this before you brought it up. Could see them going with a shorter version, like Star Network, with stations branding as Star ##.

Now that’s an idea

Sinclair (Deerfield) may take issue to that, and may already have the rights to the name.  WSTR in Cincinnati had been "Star 64" for much of it's history from 1990-98 and ever since 2009.

Wasn't The Movie Channel also known as "Star" in it's early days as well?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Sinclair (Deerfield) may take issue to that, and may already have the rights to the name.  WSTR in Cincinnati had been "Star 64" for much of it's history from 1990-98 and ever since 2009.

Wasn't The Movie Channel also known as "Star" in it's early days as well?

Yeah scratch that idea

I remember when Les Moonves first announced the CW name, even back then industry insiders thought the name was stupid. But executives felt it didn't matter; they were already full steam ahead, and they had no choice but to keep it. I can see the same thing here, and if anything, there's probably even less incentive to change it; unlike back then, The CW as a brand is firmly established. People know what it is, so why risk confusing the public with a new name? It was actually the same logic used by Nickelodeon executives when they decided against renaming it as part of their move to bring it up from the bottom of the cable ratings back in the mid 80s. Even though it didn't make much sense to the target audience (being inspired by a format that hadn't been relevant since before movies had sound), it was already known to the public, and in the long run, it didn't matter - Nickelodeon, as we all know, saw its ratings skyrocket, and was one of the highest rated networks on TV before streaming came along.

• Like 4

On 6/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, Superdude said:

700 Club is no worse than that waste of space, The Talk on CBS.  CBS should've  let that show die ages ago.  It'll never be The View no matter how hard they try.

I used to enjoy prior versions of The Talk, as it was a more lighthearted version of The View that did not focus exclusively on politics. But my favorite hostess was Sharon Osbourne and I felt it was wrong they forced her off the program. Not a fan of identity politics or the cancel culture. She may be eccentric, elitist, and a bit arrogant, but she is not racist. She only stood up for Piers Morgan and his right to state his opinion. She should have perhaps been suspended for hostile demeanor but certainly not fired from the program. Now it has moved in a new direction with the male hosts, and I really only appreciate Natalie Morales but would rather see her talents utilized in the CBS News division, as NBC had demoted her on Today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since when does CBS daytime have anything to do with “Nexstar buying The CW”? Seems like that discussion should take place anywhere else. 

As for rebranding, if they decide to change their target audience to “middle America,” as some articles speculate, then I could see a name change. But then again, name recognition is one of the hardest things to earn. Maybe they would consider “WGN America.” It has some recognition and the name was recently vacated by their new corporate owners… /s

• Like 4

I think this business about CBS daytime started with the suggestion of KDKA having an hour-long noon newscast, none of which would be produced by the CW affiliate, and I did my fair share to contribute to it.

• Like 1

Although unlikely, it would be neat if NexstarCW became more of a full network.  With a nightly NewsNation block  once or twice a day.  Maybe other cheap programming cobbled together from their various resources.

Although unlikely, it would be neat if NexstarCW became more of a full network.  With a nightly NewsNation block  once or twice a day.  Maybe other cheap programming cobbled together from their various resources.  Nexstar being in a unique position of being able to own many of their stations.

Would Nexstar have to swap their network affiliates?  Seems like it would be awkward running affiliates for other networks.

Also,is there any possibility this doesn't become WGNA 2.0.  Trib wanted to compete on the scale of USA and TNT and failed big time.

Edited by Superdude
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Superdude said:

Also,is there any possibility this doesn't become WGNA 2.0.  Trib wanted to compete on the scale of USA and TNT and failed big time.

Well, an established network of broadcast stations would be a GREAT place to launch an all-news channel that virtually ANYONE can watch over the air, FOR FREE!

But this is Nexstar we're talking about, the company that invented shaking down cable companies for the privilege of carrying their programming.

So why should another "Fair and Balanced" news channel they created be any different?  There's nothing like it out there so it should rake in the subscribers and retrans dollars...right?

Then again, WGN America would be nice to have back....if they went back to when they actually carried WGN Chicago's newscasts....Heck, just rebroadcast the WGN Morning News and put Tom Skilling on at night, and it would be ratings gold!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Does this mean Nexstar won't be buying The CW?  Plus, switching the network to streaming only would hurt the affiliates, unless MyNetwork TV could fill some slots.

Many CW affiliates can just become independents or be used as alternates for  a big 4 network if they have to cover Breaking News/Severe Weather coverage. It would solve many complaints from viewers.  For example, WPCW airs CBS Programming when KDKA-TV  covers Breaking News/Severe Weather or sports coverage. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

20 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Does this mean Nexstar won't be buying The CW?  Plus, switching the network to streaming only would hurt the affiliates, unless MyNetwork TV could fill some slots.

There's been radio silence since the initial report in January, aside from Deadline saying last month that the deal is closing soon.

I think the situation is still fluid. The moving to streaming scenario may have been an option that was discussed and the showrunner heard it through the grapevine. 

It could be that WBD sees the value in keeping the CW entity in-house and moves the branding and content to HBO Max. Nexstar gets sold a blank broadcast network infrastructure that they can brand and program how they see fit.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

No, it just means someone with a Twitter account talked with a person who had two failed pilots at WB/Discovery. So this Tweet changes nothing; it is just rumor and conjecture. Until there is official word that Nexstar has sealed a deal for the network or that the current owners are shutting down its linear feed (a highly unlikely scenario given the network's affiliate contracts) we know nothing.

More than likely, the producer pitching products was told WB/Discovery was investing in HBO Max instead of CW. That makes sense given everything they have said about making a central streaming destination. Doesn't mean CW is shutting down...just means another owner has to fund it. 😀

• Like 5

Interesting rumor. If Adult Swim goes to streaming only, what happens to CN during nights and overnights? Do what the Disney Channel has done for decades and use the CN Block and programming during these dayparts?

Adult Swim is very popular and some of the other linear channels in the WB Discovery family like Discovery Family and Boomerang are just "there".  Plus, Kids channels are declining every year and are not likely going to gain viewers ever again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Adult Swim is very popular and some of the other linear channels in the WB Discovery family like Discovery Family and Boomerang and HLN are just "there".

FTFY. 😁

• Like 3