Nexstar buying The CW?

The Frog

20 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

In the case of WISH-TV, would they love to rejoin CBS? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not. When WISH lost CBS in 2015, many of us said they would probably been happier to gain Fox instead of The CW. With Nexstar taking over majority of The CW, this will make McCoy mad and probably rethink his affiliation rights with The CW when it’s time to renew. For people that don’t, McCoy did work for Fox26 in Houston and many of his former stations were affiliated with Fox. So he knows what Fox wants and how they work. If WISH/McCoy were to get Fox away from WXIN, McCoy could then go to DirecTV/Dish and say, “You are denying people the right to see Big Ten Football, Big Ten Basketball, NFL, MLB, and many other sports events along with Fox programming.” As for weekend programming currently on WISH, just put it on WNDY and put more local program on WNDY instead of just WISH. 

I doubt WISH-TV would go back to CBS but Fox seems like a natural fit for WISH. Fox could sweeten the deal by acquiring WISH and WNDY and making them FOX/My O&Os. WISH already has a news department and Indy has an NFL Team (Colts) which could help Fox market WISH/WNDY. Circle City has basically been Nexstar with a different name anyway( take one look at their news presentation and you will agree). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I doubt WISH-TV would go back to CBS but Fox seems like a natural fit for WISH. Fox could sweeten the deal by acquiring WISH and WNDY and making them FOX/My O&Os. WISH already has a news department and Indy has an NFL Team (Colts) which could help Fox market WISH/WNDY. Circle City has basically been Nexstar with a different name anyway( take one look at their news presentation and you will agree). 

Indy is not an NFC market but that is not as important with the new contract starting next year. Fox might be able to have more Colts games.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Indy is not an NFC market but that is not as important with the new contract starting next year. Fox might be able to have more Colts games.

From my understanding, starting in 2023, all NFL games will be free agents, dates will be announced first with time and channel later, similar to college.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

From my understanding, starting in 2023, all NFL games will be free agents, dates will be announced first with time and channel later, similar to college.

Exactly, which is why Fox needs to consider more AFC markets to buy stations in and make them contenders. WISH-TV/WNDY could be perfect for Fox if they wanted to buy them and give Nexstar the CW affiliate to WXIN 59 at the same time. I know WXIN is the senior partner in that duopoly but you have WTTV CBS 4 as well. Just switch to that station being the senior partner and it will be OK.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Exactly, which is why Fox needs to consider more AFC markets to buy stations in and make them contenders.

My dream is that Fox uses this rationale to hoover up WUTV in Buffalo and finally makes it a Fox station that's respectable for 2023, not 1988. Including a full-scale news department and no more 700 Club. Sinclair can keep just keep WNYO and their tradition of not trying.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

Exactly, which is why Fox needs to consider more AFC markets to buy stations in and make them contenders.

Or, y'know, just not base their purchasing decisions on games involving grown men getting concussions and throwing weirdly-shaped objects wrapped in pigskin.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, mrschimpf said:

My dream is that Fox uses this rationale to hoover up WUTV in Buffalo and finally makes it a Fox station that's respectable for 2023, not 1988. Including a full-scale news department and no more 700 Club. Sinclair can keep just keep WNYO and their tradition of not trying.

I'm sure people in St. Louis would love for someone to do the same with KDNL. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

Or, y'know, just not base their purchasing decisions on games involving grown men getting concussions and throwing weirdly-shaped objects wrapped in pigskin.

It brings in an estimated $10B.

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

Like it or not, the NFL is here to stay for the longhall due to amount of money they are making. Fox, CBS, and NBC all need to capitalize on that. Especially FOX because they don't have much to fall back on now due to the Disney merger from 2019.  It also impacts Nexstar (to get back on topic here) due to how many CBS, NBC, and FOX stations they have but I could see Nexstar investing in The CW while giving up many of their other affiliates to make the CW successful. 

On 5/30/2022 at 3:12 PM, JCB4TV said:

I assume CBS and Fox will alternate between doubleheader weeks 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nomadcowatbk said:

I assume CBS and Fox will alternate between doubleheader weeks 

They do that now as both CBS and Fox have the doubleheader in Weeks 1 & 18 and split 2-17 with 8 each.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, mrschimpf said:

700 Club is no worse than that waste of space, The Talk on CBS.  CBS should've  let that show die ages ago.  It'll never be The View no matter how hard they try.

15 hours ago, Superdude said:

700 Club is no worse than that waste of space, The Talk on CBS.  CBS should've  let that show die ages ago.  It'll never be The View no matter how hard they try.

Wish CBS would give 12:30 to the affiliates, move Y&R to 1, expand B&B to an hour at 2 and dump The Talk. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

If that happens, KDKA-TV could actually have a LIVE 12:30 newscast instead of a recorded CW version. 

There’s no point in doing it if it is just going to be a repeat of the noon news. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

There’s no point in doing it if it is just going to be a repeat of the noon news. 

I'm assuming they would make it completely LIVE if they had the full noon hour. Both competitors WTAE and WPXI have LIVE full hour noon newscasts 

I suspect there are more than a few CBS affiliates that would agree about moving Y&R to 1 and B&B to 2.  There must be some that dislike having a half-hour noon newscast when the ABC and NBC affiliates have an hour. OTOH, the CBS affiliate in Raleigh, which is owned by Nexstar, cut its noon news to 30 minutes, moved Y&R from 4 PM to 12:30, and added a 4 PM newscast.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

I suspect there are more than a few CBS affiliates that would agree about moving Y&R to 1 and B&B to 2.  There must be some that dislike having a half-hour noon newscast when the ABC and NBC affiliates have an hour. OTOH, the CBS affiliate in Raleigh, which is owned by Nexstar, cut its noon news to 30 minutes, moved Y&R from 4 PM to 12:30, and added a 4 PM newscast.

I know WBTV probably would like to have the full hour at noon. I was surprised WNCN did that after they inherited the 4:00 Y&R from WRAL in 2016 Maybe CBS could keep the 12:30 ET and 1:30 ET feeds of Y&R and B&B for ET affiliates who only want a half hour of news at noon and they could air syndie fare at 2:30 ET.

• Like 1

WNCN kept Y&R at 4 because WRAL had been carrying it at that time since 1993.  

If Y&R moved to 1 PM and B&B to 2, I  figure that the earlier time zones would still have Y&R at 11 AM and B&B at 1 PM.  There are a few stations (Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, and  Springfield, MO) that presently carry Y&R at 11:30; they might opt to carry it at noon.  I would suspect that CBS would turn it back over to the affiliates at 2:30/1:30.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bpatrick said:

WNCN kept Y&R at 4 because WRAL had been carrying it at that time since 1993.  

If Y&R moved to 1 PM and B&B to 2, I  figure that the earlier time zones would still have Y&R at 11 AM and B&B at 1 PM.  There are a few stations (Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, and  Springfield, MO) that presently carry Y&R at 11:30; they might opt to carry it at noon. [B] I would suspect that CBS would turn it back over to the affiliates at 2:30/1:30. [/B]

If they gave 2:30/1:30 to the affiliates would allow CT/MT/PT an hourlong midday news but not ET. I think CBS should give the ET affiliates the choice by adding another feed of  YR and another feed of B&B. Either keep YR at 12:30 and 1:30 or move it to 1 and 2. So you’d have three feeds of Y&R at noon, 12:30 and 1 ET and two of B&B at 1:30 and 2 ET. It’s just a suggestion to give affiliates more flexibility but it might be more expensive to add more feeds. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

No.  Y&R's 12:30-1:30 slot has been key to its success over the decades.  Gets a half hour jump on the other channels starting shows at 1.  By 1:30 all the hour shows are in progress so you've got a built in audience at 1:30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Superdude said:

No.  Y&R's 12:30-1:30 slot has been key to its success over the decades.  Gets a half hour jump on the other channels starting shows at 1.  By 1:30 all the hour shows are in progress so you've got a built in audience at 1:30.

That’s a fair point, even though some NBC affiliates air Days at noon. 

Over in Central/Mountain, most CBS affiliates air Y&R at 11am, allowing for a 12pm news and B&B at 12:30 to round out the hour.  Many of these stations have just as dominant of a noon show than if TPIR was at 11 (it's at 10am).  LMAD seems like the wild card that goes between 2/3 pm and 9/10am depending on the market (and time zone).

It seems the last time the networks were willing to give the time back to their affiliates was back in the 80s/90s when all the game shows started dropping like flies.  Even when all of the soaps starting disappearing a decade or so ago, the networks kept the time and put on the cheaper "filler" shows we have to this day.  The lone exceptions are things like ABC dumping "Port Charles" and NBC giving up on the "Later" shows for either a repeat of Nightly News or a late news rebroadcast.

Back to "if/when" the CW ends up under Nexstar.   Unless they royally piss off a network on a major scale, they're not going to dump their major affiliations.  It's a good duopoly filler to be able to have a network and to chart their own course with it.  The only churn could be the other groups who want out because their competitors don't want to be afilliated with a network owned by the said competitor.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Back to "if/when" the CW ends up under Nexstar.   Unless they royally piss off a network on a major scale, they're not going to dump their major affiliations.  It's a good duopoly filler to be able to have a network and to chart their own course with it.  The only churn could be the other groups who want out because their competitors don't want to be afilliated with a network owned by the said competitor.

This screams that FOX may be the one who would be upset with Nexstar if they buy the CW. Remember, NONE of the FOX owned UPN stations switched to The CW because Tribune was also in every market they were in and Tribune owned a piece of The WB. Many of Nexstar's board members used to be Tribune employees. If I was FOX, I may want to start looking at other owners to fill gaps, it could be a repeat of 2011's retransmission differences  all over again for Nexstar.  If that happens, 44 markets would switch to The CW from Fox and 23 Stations would lose MyNetworkTV.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

If Nexstar buys the CW, then its Nexstar-owned CW affiliates would be owned by the CW itself, including KWGN Denver and homebase station KDAF CW33 Dallas/Ft. Worth. Is that true? 

We all know the story about rival KCNC from 1986 until 1995, and I'm guessing it'll be the same story with KWGN. KCNC was the NBC affiliate owned by General Electric until 1986, when GE bought NBC, making KCNC an NBC O&O until 1995.

I'm guessing it'll be the same deal with Nexstar-owned CW affiliates KWGN and KDAF, where both stations will be a CW O&O affiliates.

• Like 1