Nexstar buying The CW?

The Frog

At least Whose Line is still on the schedule. I watch it on the CW app on my smart TV.

One of the things that I like about the app is that its free with mostly no TV Everywhere credentials required. With the way Nexstar's done things lately, I wonder if they will start putting shows behind a TV Everywhere wall? 

12 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

One of the things that I like about the app is that its free with mostly no TV Everywhere credentials required. With the way Nexstar's done things lately, I wonder if they will start putting shows behind a TV Everywhere wall? 

The CW essentially functions as a hybrid linear network/AVOD service. Putting a paywall on their content would be a mistake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Frog said:

The CW essentially functions as a hybrid linear network/AVOD service. Putting a paywall on their content would be a mistake.

Yep. But with #NexstarLogic, you don't know what we'll get. I'm sure they'll be a lot of pissed off female cordcutters if they put a paywall on that site.

Edited by Yankees4life

On 5/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

As I was told by a former CBS GM, Doups aren't core to their mission.

Paramount Global is not the former CBS Corporation. They’re sinking money into developing newscasts for their CW outlets based at KXTA, which I would consider as core.

There is no reason why Paramount will sell those stations when no buyer exists. Nexstar can’t take them and is too stubborn a company to unload dead weight.

2 hours ago, The Frog said:

The CW is losing a majority of their scripted fare this off-season as Paramount and Warners are cutting their losses. It’s being killed off in plain sight.

Perry’s buying a stripped-down frame of a car, which is enough of a mistake to begin with. But he should know a thing or two about mistakes: he launched NewsNation.

• Like 1

Considering Nexstar's "success" with NewsNation, does anyone think if Nexstar does buy the CW, they could have any success?  Call me skeptical.

Regarding Nexstar buying CW stations, there is no increase in ownership caps.  They are already close to being maxed out.  Unless they sell a bunch of stations, how could this happen?   At some  point over use of sidecar sham ownership like Mission all be scrutinized, as it is long overdue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

Considering Nexstar's "success" with NewsNation, does anyone think if Nexstar does buy the CW, they could have any success?  Call me skeptical.

Regarding Nexstar buying CW stations, there is no increase in ownership caps.  They are already close to being maxed out.  Unless they sell a bunch of stations, how could this happen?   At some  point over use of sidecar sham ownership like Mission all be scrutinized, as it is long overdue.

The best (and likely) option is for WBD/Paramount to keep a very small stake in the The CW with a majority owner (running the day to day, etc..) with the option to buy out WBD/Paramount in 5 years.

I don’t think there’s going to be a bunch of upheaval (changing affiliations, buying/selling stations, etc..) unless Nexstar is required to do so. The easiest thing is to keep as much as you can the same while trying to fully monetize what you can.

Edited by jase
  • Like 7

On 5/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, tjt24 said:

If duops aren't CBS' thing 

I don't understand why it wouldn't be. If you have a station in the market, a second station helps you get critical mass. Even if all it shows are old movies from the Paramount library, it's something to attract viewers and advertising.

4 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

The CW is losing a majority of their scripted fare this off-season as Paramount and Warners are cutting their losses. It’s being killed off in plain sight.

The trades consistently report that Paramount and Warner will retain a minority stake in the network post-sale and continue to supply programming.

Most of the shows that were killed off this season were tied into the old Netflix deal and thus The CW was unable to monetize the stacking rights for AVOD. That won't be the case for the new crop of shows. THR reports that Nexstar is particularly interested in that revenue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

I don't understand why it wouldn't be. If you have a station in the market, a second station helps you get critical mass. Even if all it shows are old movies from the Paramount library, it's something to attract viewers and advertising.

Plus it always gives you a backup when you need to push off programming for breaking news or push the bombs off the main station's schedule. Duopoly stations may be the last thing anyone wants, but you're glad to have them not competing with you, or to have a place to put in-house shows. Plus public places or parties still need shows on their TVs during the day that won't annoy everyone and it's free ad money for little outlay.

• Like 2

I think it is a good thing that The CW get back into sitcoms I did like Everybody Hates Chris that was a pretty good show. It would be good to get youth sitcoms I did also like What I Like About You watched that on a 22-hour delay on WZPX as they wanted to put PAX/I Suck Network over The WB which was a big mistake should've been a fulltime WB station. Only thing that was in pattern was Kids WB/WB Afternoon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I think it is a good thing that The CW get back into sitcoms I did like Everybody Hates Chris that was a pretty good show. It would be good to get youth sitcoms I did also like What I Like About You watched that on a 22-hour delay on WZPX as they wanted to put PAX/I Suck Network over The WB which was a big mistake should've been a fulltime WB station. Only thing that was in pattern was Kids WB/WB Afternoon.

Yeah that was crazy. WAXN was smart. They weren’t actually a Pax affiliate, they just aired a few Pax programs. They have always been an overflow WSOC station. But we’re getting off topic.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah that was crazy. WAXN was smart. They weren’t actually a Pax affiliate, they just aired a few Pax programs. They have always been an overflow WSOC station.

There is going to be A LOT of duopolies from non-Nexstar stations (including CBS/CW O&Os that choose not to sell) that will be in the same position as WAXN. I can see WPCW being one of them( they mostly are a dumping ground for KDKA-TV programming that can't fit on the main channel). You know Nexstar will want many of its own stations to be CW affiliates. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

3 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

There is going to be A LOT of duopolies from non-Nexstar stations (including CBS/CW O&Os that choose not to sell) that will be in the same position as WAXN. I can see WPCW being one of them( they mostly are a dumping ground for KDKA-TV programming that can'tfit on the main channel). You know Nexstar will want many of its own stations to be CW affiliates. 

I can't see WPCW being dropped.  KDKA-TV has always been one of CBS's strongest stations.  Having a second station is beneficial for additional news and sports programming and to place pre-empted cbs shows when necessary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Superdude said:

I can't see WPCW being dropped.  KDKA-TV has always been one of CBS's strongest stations.  Having a second station is beneficial for additional news and sports programming and to place pre-empted cbs shows when necessary.

I wish all Big 3 stations could have an overflow channel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CBS has shown they're capable of running independent stations in 2022, and we know they're working on an alternative news development hub. I really don't see the potential loss of a marginally successful network (there is zero guarantee Nexstar is going to start pulling affiliations) causing CBS to throw up their hands and have a duopoly fire sale. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

CBS has shown they're capable of running independent stations in 2022, and we know they're working on an alternative news development hub. I really don't see the potential loss of a marginally successful network (there is zero guarantee Nexstar is going to start pulling affiliations) causing CBS to throw up their hands and have a duopoly fire sale. 

My point was that Nexstar would start with moving/buying CW affiliates to stations they would own to make them O&Os

For Example, I could see Nexstar selling its MyNetworkTV/Ion affiliations to Fox, Scripps, or someone else to pick up more CW stations (it would be needed if Nexstar wanted to buy WPSG,WTOG,and KBCW from CBS to keep them CW O&Os) then I could see Nexstar getting rid of its weaker FOX stations after that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superdude said:

WPCW airs CBS Programming if KDKA-TV airs Breaking News, Severe Weather, or Steelers Preseason games and will move The CW lineup to overnights if necessary. I wish more stations would do that.  

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

35 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

My point was that Nexstar would start with moving/buying CW affiliates to stations they would own to make them O&Os

For Example, I could see Nexstar selling its MyNetworkTV/Ion affiliations to Fox, Scripps, or someone else to pick up more CW stations (it would be needed if Nexstar wanted to buy WPSG,WTOG,and KBCW from CBS to keep them CW O&Os) then I could see Nexstar getting rid of its weaker FOX stations after that. 

12 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

WPCW airs CBS Programming if KDKA-TV airs Breaking News, Severe Weather, or Steelers Preseason games and will move The CW lineup to overnights if necessary. I wish more stations would do that.  

I wish Gray would buy WMYT. A WBTV/WMYT duopoly would be more useful. WBTV could put news from 7-9am or even 7-10am on there. They could put 10pm news back on there, or even 8 and/or 9pm news on there. WJZY could put an 8 or 9pm news on WMYT but that’s about it. 

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

I wish Gray would buy WMYT. A WBTV/WMYT duopoly would be more useful. WBTV could put news from 7-9am or even 7-10am on there. They could put 10pm news back on there, or even 8 and/or 9pm news on there. WJZY could put an 8 or 9pm news on WMYT but that’s about it. 

That would be a huge fall for WMYT, It started as a Capital Broadcasting station (they own WRAL), bought by FOX to be an MyNetworkTV O&O, sold to Nexstar and then sold to Gray? OUCH.   

It is more likely that WCCB gets the MyNetworkTV Affiliation or it goes on WJZY as a secondary Affiliation if WCCB wants to go independent so WMYT could grab the CW for Nexstar.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

That would be a huge fall for WMYT, It started as a Capital Broadcasting station (they own WRAL), bought by FOX to be an MyNetworkTV O&O, sold to Nexstar and then sold to Gray? OUCH.   

It is more likely that WCCB gets the MyNetworkTV Affiliation or it goes on WJZY 46.2 if WCCB wants to go independent so WMYT could grab the CW for Nexstar.

There isn’t a 46.2 anymore, 55.1 is 46.2, if WCCB wanted to go indy the MyNet affiliation would go to WAXN or more likely it would go to WJZY as a secondary affiliation.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

There isn’t a 46.2 anymore, 55.1 is 46.2, if WCCB wanted to go indy the MyNet affiliation would go to WAXN or more likely it would go to WJZY as a secondary affiliation.

Or the easiest thing to do would be leave MyNet on WMYT and just have it be a CW/My station since they delay the MyNet programming anyway.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, Nelson R. said:

Or the easiest thing to do would be leave MyNet on WMYT and just have it be a CW/My station since they delay the MyNet programming anyway.

And, more importantly, since MyNet programming is just reruns.

In fact, since MyNet isn't considered a network anymore but simply a programming service, its affiliates are effectively independent stations.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2022 at 5:52 PM, IndyNewsOpens said:

re: the WISH-TV/WTTV situation.

That will be an absolute shitshow if that happens. DuJuan McCoy is still battling it out with DirecTV and Dish three years later, but I could also see CBS being a factor in forcing DirecTV/Dish to negotiate to his terms. WISH-TV has become very odd in the last few years, being a hybrid of a minority-focused station and a general news station. It also still has the news partnership with WIBC, a right-wing talk station, on the other hand.

In the case of WISH-TV, would they love to rejoin CBS? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not. When WISH lost CBS in 2015, many of us said they would probably been happier to gain Fox instead of The CW. With Nexstar taking over majority of The CW, this will make McCoy mad and probably rethink his affiliation rights with The CW when it’s time to renew. For people that don’t, McCoy did work for Fox26 in Houston and many of his former stations were affiliated with Fox. So he knows what Fox wants and how they work. If WISH/McCoy were to get Fox away from WXIN, McCoy could then go to DirecTV/Dish and say, “You are denying people the right to see Big Ten Football, Big Ten Basketball, NFL, MLB, and many other sports events along with Fox programming.” As for weekend programming currently on WISH, just put it on WNDY and put more local program on WNDY instead of just WISH. 

• Like 1