Nexstar buying The CW?

The Frog

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That’s when a lot of stations run newscasts produced by CBS, NBC and ABC stations.

Not to mention that there are large market CW affiliates that run newscasts produced by independents (WLVI) or have a standalone news operation (WPIX). WPIX is operated by Nexstar, so NewsNation at 10pm is a no-go if they want to compete with Fox affilates running newscasts at the same time.

• Like 3

I’m not intending to go into Speculatron mode, but what’s to say that Nexstar is the only one vying for the CW?

Look at the combined footprint for Scripps and Inyo. The CW+ can be a turnkey Katz network with Newsy supplying news.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

Seeing that Nexstar owns FOX-CW duopolies in Denver (CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KWGN) and Colorado Springs/Pueblo (FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU), how is this gonna work? That is, the idea of two Colorado affiliates being CW O&Os (KWGN and KXTU)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

Seeing that Nexstar owns FOX-CW duopolies in Denver (CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KWGN) and Colorado Springs/Pueblo (FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU), how is this gonna work? That is, the idea of two Colorado affiliates being CW O&Os (KWGN and KXTU)?

I don't think I understand your question.

10 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I don't think I understand your question.

Nexstar buying the CW? Possibly making CW O&Os out of some stations like KWGN and KXTU?

Nexstar already owning its CW-FOX duopolies in Colorado (KWGN/KDVR Denver and KXRM/KXTU Colorado Springs)?

How does this conflict with one another? Do you see where I'm getting at?

Edited by newsteam13

1 minute ago, newsteam13 said:

Nexstar buying the CW? Possibly making CW O&Os out of some stations like KWGN and KXTU?

Nexstar already owning its CW-FOX duopolies in Colorado (KWGN/KDVR Denver and KXRM/KXTU Colorado Springs)?

How does this conflict with one another? Do you see where I'm getting at?

It doesn't conflict. I don't know why it would.

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

11 hours ago, The Frog said:

According to Deadline, the pending sale to Nexstar is expected to close in the next few weeks.

The CW also cleaned house earlier this week in preparation of the sale.

If Nexstar does prevail in getting the CW, it's almost like they could be trying to turn the CW into what Tribune tried to do with WGN America, import some cheaper programming.

How long are the CBS O&O's (and stations like WCIU) tied into CW?  And what would CBS do with their O&Os should they lose the CW?  It may be a nice place to put their CBSN local streams OTA for at least part of the day, since many markets are duopolies to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How long are the CBS O&O's (and stations like WCIU) tied into CW?  And what would CBS do with their O&Os should they lose the CW?  It may be a nice place to put their CBSN local streams OTA for at least part of the day, since many markets are duopolies to begin with.

Perhaps they make all there CW affiliates successful independents like LCAL and WLNY.

13 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

And I know Big Bang Theory reruns on WMYT from 9-10 probably outrate the CW programming on WCCB. And maybe Modern Family from 8-9. 

Edited by Nelson R.

7 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Perhaps they make all there CW affiliates successful independents like LCAL and WLNY.

That is most likely. I think Nexstar will take the CW affiliation in all the markets where it isn't on one of their stations and place it on a subchannel or secondary channel as soon as they can. I think NewsNation+ might be an additional subchannel.

12 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is most likely. I think Nexstar will take the CW affiliation in all the markets where it isn't on one of their stations and place it on a subchannel or secondary channel as soon as they can.

At least for Indianapolis, WISH-TV will likely be precluded from that, as you know Circle City would immediately argue to the FCC that Nexstar would conspire to make them as a formerly-owned station a non-factor in the market and that nobody carries (or really watches) WTTV/K-DT2. And internally there will be WGN pushback, though sadly the personnel that would've been able to moot the move will be told by Perry they have no choice (even if the current primetime schedule of sitcom reruns is otherwise ignored by management and the public).

1 minute ago, mrschimpf said:

At least for Indianapolis, WISH-TV will likely be precluded from that, as you know Circle City would immediately argue to the FCC that Nexstar would conspire to make them as a formerly-owned station a non-factor in the market and that nobody carries (or really watches) WTTV/K-DT2. And internally there will be WGN pushback, though sadly the personnel that would've been able to moot the move will be told by Perry they have no choice (even if the current primetime schedule of sitcom reruns is otherwise ignored by management and the public).

They would likely have to come with some other agreement - give up one of the networks already in place through an affiliation switch?

3 hours ago, DENDude said:

I wonder how quickly Nexstar kills off The CW?  Or tries to make it NewsNation+.      Something tells me this is going to go south fast if the sale goes through.

Exactly. NewsNation+. Like that will do anything except sink Nexstar faster.

• Like 2

Tribune threw a bone to Lin/Media General Wish-TV in Indy trading The CW to them Wish was going to be Indie after losing CBS in Jan of 2015. I believe that Wish will become a CW. CBS will keep The CW in markets they have duopolies in just my opinion. Maybe Nexstar does do switches in markets they don't have The CW that don't have a big 4 network  that are duopolies, in West Michigan I could see Nexstar and Sinclair doing a switch as Sinclair owns The CW in West Michigan Nexstar owns MyNet TV WXSP. It could come down to the deals in the contracts and how many years are left maybe if it is only a year they wait it out. Sorry if it now becoming a list and speculation which I already said that in the speculation forum. 

21 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

15 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If Nexstar does prevail in getting the CW, it's almost like they could be trying to turn the CW into what Tribune tried to do with WGN America, import some cheaper programming.

13 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

If the affiliations get pulled I could see them doing what they’ve done with their duopoly station in Miami, affiliate with MNTV. 

8 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

If the affiliations get pulled I could see them doing what they’ve done with their duopoly station in Miami, affiliate with MNTV. 

More likely than not, CBS will keep the affiliations and see what happens. Sunbeam or Scripps, I'm not so sure. What about Sinclair (WLFL or WWHO)?

5 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

What about Sinclair (WLFL or WWHO)?

With WLFL I guess they would get the MyNet from WRDC and CW would go to WNCN 11.2. But a MyNet/independent duopoly would not really be ideal.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:10 AM, PhillyWatch said:

10 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Just a follow up, DFW also has a similar set up as they have an Indy station too.

I wonder if the 10pm news at WPHL becomes an in-house operation, and if so, what happens to Gray Hall?

20 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

And I know Big Bang Theory reruns on WMYT from 9-10 probably outrate the CW programming on WCCB. And maybe Modern Family from 8-9. 

So in Charlotte would Nexstar move CW to WMYT-55.1 and let WCCB pick up MyTV?