ABC O&O Streaming Channels

C Block

Does anyone have any more info about the streaming channels that the ABC O&Os are launching? I've seen some "streaming producer" positions pop up at some of the O&Os. I haven't seen anything written about it in the trade publications. I'm getting the sense it'll be like the CBSN local editions.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have started to happen, this week. As of Tuesday, all of the O&O's started rerunning newscasts online, plus on-demand availability for each show. There was also a technical update to the way the live channels are displayed on the homepage, plus upgraded stream quality. Several stations have debuted or cemented their expanded offerings. A 7am show seems to be standard, with offerings from at least KGO, WLS, and the existing option at WPVI. WLS also (re)launched a 7pm program. I haven't seen any formal announcements, so we appear to be in the soft launch phase, but I'd be on the lookout as February (sweeps) approaches.

Feel free to post observations from your own market, or stations you have an interest in, because I'm not gonna keep track of 8 stations.

That said, I'll discuss my home market. The evening expansion at WLS is fronted by Cheryl Burton (5 and 10pm), who previously anchored the 7pm newscast on Weigel's WCIU (2015-19), and 4pm anchor Rob Elgas. With no promotion, I've only seen a few long-form interviews they've done in the first two nights. The morning hour is hosted by morning anchor Terrell Brown and Windy City Weekend host Val Warner. The only part of that show I've seen was an interview conducted by meteorologist Tracy Butler. She tossed back to them, and Warner's voice can be heard before the clip ended. This is her first anchor assignment since her days at WGN, pre-2011.

I have the O&Os from the top 4 markets on my device. Since summer 2020, I infrequently watch only the morning newscasts on all, and the quality is really good. I stick to WPVI, and saw the streaming replays of previous broadcasts around Jim Gardner's final 11pm broadcast. I've watched sometimes ever since, but I asked myself then what took them so long.

Tuning in right now. 

KGO is live and it’s called ABC7 @ 7. The format seems more  like it’s 11am show, “Midday Live,” but more relaxed and with more banter. I’m getting KTLA vibes. Then again the chemistry with Reggie, Kumasi and Drew is real as it gets. 😆

WABC is currently airing coverage of the end of the Iranian Hostage Crisis and Reagan's inauguration, interspersed with ad breaks (not custom web ads, actual ads embedded into the feed) Odd choice!

Also in before new O&O graphics speculation, this animated Circle 7 breakfiller was visible for a while:

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.42.15.png

1 hour ago, DMA said:

Also in before new O&O graphics speculation, this animated Circle 7 breakfiller was visible for a while:

It's been updated, as there's a version with the new ABC, but that actually goes back a couple of years, in some form.

• 24994J changed the title to ABC O&O Streaming Channels
  • 2 weeks later...

Press releases are now out for everyone, detailing the new options in a copy/paste statement for all the articles. Seven of the eight stations have local statements, but KFSN posted a blanket release that outlines the changes for all stations.

https://abc30.com/watch-breaking-news-live-channel-local-streaming/11511338/

My two markets: NYC and Houston. WABC seems to be running their newscasts on demand mostly. KTRK has had digital newscast for over a year now. They air an extended 30 min broadcast digitally at 7:00am and then briefer digital newscasts for midday, evening and night.

I know it’s coming but I’m really ready to see the standardized ABC O&O graphics. I hate how horrifically  in-house WABC’s look is compared to the rest of the group.

Recently, there's been talk in the WABC thread, discussing how they seem hesitant to break into network and syndicated programming, as if there's some directive that discourages that. I then find it interesting that they are the only O&O that won't have a morning or primetime streaming newscast, but they're also the only one of the eight counterprogramming the network flagship at 6:30pm.

Here in Raleigh they been promoting it in all newscasts, and the new 7 a.m. show. They also been all over Facebook with it also. WTVD has been demanding it newscasts. And exclusive I-Team reports and exclusive specials and documentary will stream.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, RGSJenkins said:

WABC now has a 7am streaming newscast.

Correction: It seems the newscast debuted in January but it only runs for 15 minutes since they share a control room with Live hence why they still do the news briefs in the newsroom during GMA.

32 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

WTF is this 4x3 safety bullshit in 2022?

It's not on the far edges of the screen, but it's not hardly "safe." That's the least of this package's problems, and it all shouldn't be too long for this world, anyway.

image.png.78af1747b6ffe068dd912159f147f23e.png.f174043888ad12b383ce19f40ebcbb96.pngncs_wabc_008.jpg.dc441de4e214cd5288e40b030974719b.jpg

16 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

The bug appears to be incorrectly placed.

Where to you want it? Dead center? All the way to the screen edge? Left side? Top?

52 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

It’s not even 4:3 safe. The bug appears to be incorrectly placed.

It feels totally a 'co-opt an old system collecting dust into this thing' move where they don't care what the aspect ratio is because it's:

•It works

•For a thing they can cut if few watch

•Outside iPads with that ratio, who has a 4:3 phone now?

1 minute ago, mrschimpf said:

It feels totally a 'co-opt an old system collecting dust into this thing' move where they don't care what the aspect ratio is because it's:

•It works

•For a thing they can cut if few watch

•Outside iPads with that ratio, who has a 4:3 phone now?

Are there suitable options for WABC to replace their systems with? I’m sure they’re in the market for new systems, which could explain why they’re not getting new graphics yet.

The 14:9 bug placement looks out of place in 2022 because that's what the "median" between SD and HD aspects was decided at for SD cropping of widescreen HD back in the day. That said, WABC's graphics were already dated (and infamously contained spelling mistakes) the second they hit air six (!!!) years ago. They really haven't aged well in the meantime. Since they're on VizRT and likely the same version that's running at KABC and the other O&O's, I don't think that's what's keeping them back... more just extremely conservative design choices by the local CS team.

Archived