WJZY to become Queen City News starting in the new year

CarolinaWxGuy

28 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Why keep the Fox 46 branding? With everything that Fox did there, maybe they community soured the name.

I like WOIO's non-newscast branding (Cleveland's CBS 19). In addition, this is only applicable to non-newscast branding. The news department (which most people see) can keep their own branding.

Edited by TheSpeedKing

if it means anything, they are dropping the FOX name by the way [Not the network,just the name]

and here is just a suggestion for the look ,a rush job i know, but its just an idea [ using the old UPN 46 look ]

JUST AN IDEA.jpg

Edited by lugnuts6

Forgot about KNTV in San Jose for about 10 years starting in the late 80s

Station: KNTV 11 San Jose

News intro: KNTV 11, The San Jose NewsChannel

Newscast title: KNTV News at 6, 11, etc

Reporter tag:  for KNTV, The San Jose NewsChannel

It was differentiated, but to the point they were also the only station specifically focusing on San Jose. Was successful for its size, but seemed to fragment and get lost as the mid to late 90s rolled around. 

The set didn't have overt '11' cues in its primary shots - just The San Jose NewsChannel branding, but the lower thirds used the 11 logo with no San Jose branding

Any old pop songs about Charlotte? They used Dionne Warwick's 'Do you know the way to San Jose' as the melody for their theme.

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 4:16 PM, Action Newsroom said:

Jeez. While the logo with the city's name looks great and inviting, the initialism isn't... well, the Queen's English. If I lived there, I'd hate to have that represent it, me and the other residents, even if it's supposed to be innocuous instead of provocative.

It's the callsign for Charlotte-Douglas International Airport and has been for years. I don't think Charlotteans have a problem with it.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
triple post

On 12/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, LexTVandRadio said:

I am getting waaay off topic. Is that even a thing anymore? We have WUPX TV and WMOR FM here in KY and both exist as WUPX FM and WMOR TV in other states. 

The first station having the calls is who controls anyone else getting them.  Permission can be granted - and charged for the privilege - by the original station with the calls.
Depending, the original station may have to make a license modification. 

An AM never has a suffix, AMs are always “WXXX”.  This allows for a FM, TV, and AM with the same calls. 
WXXX-FM, WXXX-TV, and WXXX. 

LPFM always has the -LP suffix.  There could be a WXXX-LP owned by a fourth party and all four stations share that same call sign. 

If there is no AM but there is an FM & TV, one of them can be suffixless. 

example, in Greenville, NC:

WNCT 1070

WNCT-FM 107.9

WNCT-TV 9

They originally had the same owner but all three are owned by separate parties now. 

another example:

WCMC is an AM in Wildwood, NJ and WCMC-FM is in Raleigh, NC (technically Holly Springs licensed)

they have never had any relation to one another, so WCMC in Wildwood would have had to give the Raleigh FM permission to use those calls. 

Let’s hypothetically reverse that last one and say that WCMC existed first on FM in Raleigh, without the -FM suffix.  If the AM in Wildwood wanted those calls the Raleigh FM would have had to grant permission, and change their license to have a suffix - becoming WCMC-FM - since an AM never has a suffix.

Edited by appleachian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phillynewslover said:

The new graphics and branding launched today at 4p.

And the first show is on Studio 31 Media Archive (thanks @sanewsguy). Beyond has been dropped for production music. Steve Kamer and Beau Weaver have been retained as VOs (WJZY has two!). WJZY is the first station to decommission the Fox O&O look in favour of a custom version of the Nexstar Fox look, FOX-G. IMO, that’s a downgrade, but the ticker is now removed.

• Like 2

So no one is complaining how tacky using two different VOs? Basically on the same line.

Beau Weaver on the open & Steven Kamer on the tease. Pick One or the other. That's tacky as hell.

And I guess they can't get it straight for their non-news branding either... Suppose to be "Fox Charlotte", but you clearing see "Fox 46" logo on the bug. They surely can't make up their minds.......

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 4

This, to me, looks like a cheaper version of the KDKA graphics with Nexstar's stock Fox look in the Mix. There is WAY too much blue here. BTW, If I was vacationing from Cincinnati OH or Buffalo NY, The Other Queen Cities, I would be very confused here.  I also updated the WJZY Logopedia Page.

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-04-54.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-05-09.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-16-10.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-16-22.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-21-02.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-23-32.png

nfl redzone Screenshot 2022-01-10 18-23-39.png

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So no one is complaining how tacky using two different VOs? Basically on the same line.

Beau Weaver on the open & Steven Kamer on the tease. Pick One or the other. That's tacky as hell.

And I guess they can't get it straight for their non-news branding either... Suppose to be "Fox Charlotte", but you clearing see "Fox 46" logo on the bug. They surely can't make up their minds.......

Another reason I consider this a KDKA clone is the Steven Kamer  VO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

BTW, If I was vacationing from Cincinnati OH, The Other Queen City, I would be very confused here.

They modified WCPO's colour scheme and the L3's look an awful lot like WLWT. Why wouldn't you be confused?

Edited by TheSpeedKing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

BTW, If I was vacationing from Cincinnati OH or Buffalo NY, The Other Queen Cities, I would be very confused here.  

Hi Kenneth, as someone who lives in Charlotte I can tell you that Queen City is a well known name for Charlotte.  QC or Queen City has been used heavily for decades. WBTV has two daily shows with Queen City in the title (QC Mornings and QC@3) plus an entire digital initiative called QC Life. WKQC-FM put QC in their calls way back in 2003. There's more examples but you get the point: Charlotteans are very familiar with Queen City. Besides I don't think out of town visitors are a factor in developing a brand geared toward locals. I'm not defending what I view as very messy branding...just sharing some background from a local on the Queen City nickname.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

Hi Kenneth, as someone who lives in Charlotte I can tell you that Queen City is a well known name for Charlotte.  QC or Queen City has been used heavily for decades. WBTV has two daily shows with Queen City in the title (QC Mornings and QC@3) plus an entire digital initiative called QC Life. WKQC-FM put QC in their calls way back in 2003. There's more examples but you get the point: Charlotteans are very familiar with Queen City. Besides I don't think out of town visitors are a factor in developing a brand geared toward locals. I'm not defending what I view as very messy branding...just sharing some background from a local on the Queen City nickname.

Thanks @carolinanews4 for your response. This does bring up another question however. Will WBTV/Gray get rid of the QC branding in their newscasts or sue Nexstar for using "Queen City"? Something to keep in mind here as well.

2 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

And I checked their website. New logo, new masthead, but no new Nexstar website. What. A. Shame. I'm also shocked that Fox46.com is retained.

They'll keep that at least a year or two before turning it into a redirect; you don't want a rebrand messed up by a fake news website (say, "queenscitynews.com") looking to solve your belly-fat issues or clean out your colon, plus there's the 'backlink' problem where you want to keep older Facebook and Twitter links to stories working. Also as discussed before, queencitynews.com still held by a ghost site in Helena, Montana. There could be issues trying to get a hold of that person, and their WHOIS may be massively incorrect after 16 years; the only time they may remember their website even exists these days comes at credit card expiration time.

I am relieved that they seemed to hear the feedback about 'what about news outside Charlotte?' concern with the branding, by appending 'Carolina's Own' naturally into the slogan.

• Like 3

Watching now.  I can say that this is worlds better than the original WJZY launch back in 2014.

I'd say it's a cross between WCCB and "Hello News/Action News" at least by watching the open.  

I like the blue version of the graphics.  Sure, it's the Nexstar Fox package, but at least they made it unique.

If anything, it's like an updated WCCB newscast with a newer set, more camera movement and better graphics.  It almost seems like they're trying to out-do WCCB and force them out of the news game once and for all.

I'm sure WCCB reacted accordingly by finally expanding their 10pm newscast to an hour and bumping "Edge" and "Got Game" to 11pm on Weeknights and Sunday night, respectively.

Sure, there are still some branding holes (Fox 46 vs Fox Charlotte), but at least the months of work have finally produced something of substance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

The open IMO, is a WPVI clone, not a crossover.

WPVI for sure, but all of the people waving for the camera in the 10p intro gave it a little more of the "Hello" vibe, much like many of the "Hello News" stations used to do at the end of the show getting people to wave for the camera.  WPVI, showed more people doing things, creating more of an "action" feeling.

Coupled with the uptempo music and overall vibe draws it close to how WCCB has been.

Seeing the morning intro was a little more WPVI-ish with less waving.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2