WEAR on a temporary set

tyrannical bastard

Earlier this week, WEAR in Pensacola started doing their newscasts from the newsroom. 

May be an image of 4 people and people standing

Their set was one of the original Devlin sets that Sinclair debuted in 2008 in Baltimore, Columbus, Asheville and Pensacola when they went HD.  This leaves WLOS as the last Sinclair station on this particular set.

Seeing what WSET just got, could they be in for something similar?

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Earlier this week, WEAR in Pensacola started doing their newscasts from the newsroom. 

May be an image of 4 people and people standing

Their set was one of the original Devlin sets that Sinclair debuted in 2008 in Baltimore, Columbus, Asheville and Pensacola when they went HD.  This leaves WLOS as the last Sinclair station on this particular set.

Seeing what WSET just got, could they be in for something similar?

How many of those Devlin HD sets from 2008-2010 are left now?

there was a whole slew of them like the one WEAR had… with the projector monitors with the rounded frames… among other similarities (desks, frosts, etc.)

The only ones that come to mind are KREX and KOMU.

Used to be quite a few of them out there. 

Maybe @Dan Devlin keeps tabs on these things?

42 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

How many of those Devlin HD sets from 2008-2010 are left now?

there was a whole slew of them like the one WEAR had… with the projector monitors with the rounded frames… among other similarities (desks, frosts, etc.)

The only ones that come to mind are KREX and KOMU.

Used to be quite a few of them out there. 

Maybe @Dan Devlin keeps tabs on these things?

The initial Sinclair ones were virtually identical at the time.  As Sinclair updated more of their (legacy) stations, Devlin introduced new designs over the years.  

WPMI's set is also a Devlin one, but it was commissioned by Newport right before they were sold to Sinclair.  Sister station WHP (also from Newport to Sinclair) got a similar set to theirs,  with some different placement and treatments.

• 2 months later...

WEAR launched their new set this morning on their Dayside news (11am).  Basically the WSET set.

I"d post pics but my DVR-endcoder is inaccessible at the moment.  I"m in the midst of a re-organization of my "command center".

And yes, the fishtank is a part of it! It's behind the weather center this time instead of being one of the "legs" of it.

I believe they have a trade with the provider of it.

21 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, here's the best I can do right now..I can't get the YTTV part off of it when I try to do a screengrab.

image.png.ed524755b973948087d0008336a55ed7.png

It looks good. Sinclair sets have come a long way. It looks a lot like what WSET recently got.

Now can we please get the set people down to Charleston? WCIV needs to get rid of their 20 year old set like a decade ago.

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

It looks good. Sinclair sets have come a long way. It looks a lot like what WSET recently got.

Now can we please get the set people down to Charleston? WCIV needs to get rid of their 20 year old set like a decade ago.

Pretty much all of the former Allbritton stations (with the exception of WJLA) have pretty much held on to their longtime sets, and only now Sinclair is getting around to fixing them.

Allbritton tried in Birmingham with 33/40, but Sinclair replaced that one pretty quickly.

Then again go back 15 years, and it was Sinclair who was notorious for keeping old sets around from prior owners (and even their legacy stations!)  Only going HD was the reason to upgrade. And WEAR was one of them, having a set that was pretty much the same as the day they launched it from their current building in 1994.

Archived