Allen Media acquires WCOV from Woods Communications

T.L. Hughes

Allen Media Broadcasting has reached an agreement to purchase Woods Communications’ Montgomery cluster of Fox affiliate WCOV, Cozi TV (and subchannel-only secondary MyNetworkTV) affiliate WIYC and True Crime Network affiliate WALE-LD, from Woods Communications in an all-cash deal worth $28.5 million. The acquisition is expected to close in the first half of 2022.

• CircleSeven changed the title to Allen Media acquires WCOV from Woods Communications
16 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Don't know what's he's going to do with these stations.

Do WAKA still produce news for them? And if they do, how long would that last should Byron completes the sale?

Yep, WAKA still does news for them, WNCF does have a CW subchannel so, I don't know what Byron will want to do with WCOV once they close the deal but I have to imagine he's going to want to build a full scale news department.

It would be good to see Allen start up a news operation again for WCOV.  They had one until 1986 when WAKA refocused on Montgomery after fighting for years to move from Selma and become the sole CBS affiliate for the area.  Had FOX been as bullish when it started as it later became in it's insistence on running newscasts, the original WCOV department could have survived.

It is the end of an era for the Woods family since the previous generation (Charles Woods) built and signed on WTVY in Dothan.

Bahakel is still holding on though, it would be nice if WNCF ended up with Allen Media as well and WBMM remained with WAKA.  But it will likely be status quo until Bahakel cashes out and if SagamoreHill spins it's stations.

8 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Wow! I was hoping Nexstar would snag this station. Allen on the move and is TEGNA his next stop?

If Allen does score the TEGNA stations, things could get interesting in Huntsville.   If he's throwing lots of money into WAAY and giving them a new building, then WZDX could have to be divested yet again, since Nexstar dumped them in favor of Tribune's WHNT.

I have to wonder if SagamoreHill could spin WNCF to another owner.  Woods already has WIYC, a non-factor station they picked up with a failing station waiver, along with WALE-LD, a subchannel repository.   WNCF picked up WBMM under similar circumstances (as a CW station), then spun it off to Bahakel when they entered into the SSA with WNCF.

Ideally, if Allen starts up a news operation on WCOV, and gets control of WNCF, they can provide them with newscasts to create another operation to go head to head against WAKA and WSFA.

Archived