WVUE New Set or Minor Modifications?

EricTheEnthusiast

This morning, WVUE Fox 8 used one, fixed camera angle for the anchors and had both weather and traffic in front of the green screen rather than the usual weather green screen / traffic at a mounted television. Now, at noon for the weather, the anchor is in their "breaking news" set with weather at a green screen.

Are they about to debut a new set, or just doing some modifications? If the former, does that mean a new graphics package, too?

2 hours ago, EricTheEnthusiast said:

This morning, WVUE Fox 8 used one, fixed camera angle for the anchors and had both weather and traffic in front of the green screen rather than the usual weather green screen / traffic at a mounted television. Now, at noon for the weather, the anchor is in their "breaking news" set with weather at a green screen.

Are they about to debut a new set, or just doing some modifications? If the former, does that mean a new graphics package, too?

This must be your first post on here, so let me be the first to say Welcome Aboard! 

In this case, slowly but surely the last holdouts of the Raycom blocks package are getting Gray-ed. KAIT got a new package yesterday, so how many Raycom keepers are left?

Editing my initial post because now I'm not sure if that's a chromakey or a big ol' monitor behind them because the images are changing behind the anchor, but it sure seems like they are in a different spot...unless they just pulled everything in tight?

Here's a grab from today:

1154212650_Screenshot2021-12-15155209.thumb.png.8acf667e9f836e9eaeb20d182f9ce286.png

And here's one from 12/13:

1283020918_Screenshot2021-12-15155152.thumb.png.6a0e88b49edc0a22bc8f851c4798d934.png

On the 4pm today, they are using close-ups on the anchors.

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

This must be your first post on here, so let me be the first to say Welcome Aboard! 

In this case, slowly but surely the last holdouts of the Raycom blocks package are getting Gray-ed. KAIT got a new package yesterday, so how many Raycom keepers are left?

No signs of a Gray hub package yet....custom look?

Watching the 4, it seems as though they're in the main studio with the set with the usual video screen backdrop, however they're hiding all the other elements, where you'd see "Your Weather Authority" and the borders and colors around the various TVs in the set.

Maybe they're doing some minor touch ups/modifications and logo redesigns, and are keeping the set under-wraps until everything debuts.

@hmaxhanson yes it's my first time posting! I've been reading the site for a while and have had the same speculation/questions about when WVUE might update graphics.

Expect new graphics. And I’d expect a new set. There’s not much on the existing set to remodel/refresh. The news studio is not the biggest set, but it would benefit from a wrap around set that’s pushed against the wall to maximize the space available. 

6 years is long enough — especially when the competition has newer/new sets. Plus, FOX8 is kicking ass, so why not invest?!

I was watching their noon show today and noticed Liz Reyes behind what looked like a temp set.

2 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Hawaii News Now (KGMB/KHNL/KFVE), although they do have the Gray ticker for mornings.

Wherever they were, it's back to the main set today, though weather/traffic were still at the green screen only from what I scanned on Vuit from the 8am hour.

EDIT: Looks like it was back to normal as of the 4pm cast Thursday, going back a bit on Vuit.

1619318334_Screenshot2021-12-17102415.thumb.png.9686f29e18bb0c35982b7068a2d764cb.png190851022_Screenshot2021-12-17102345.thumb.png.bec4e76e7addd4a2b67c13421cc923ff.png

They have been expanding the camera shots and angles used, closer to the full suite that you'd expect to see. However, they still won't show the full team (anchors, weather, and sports/traffic) at the desk. They're not showing the area of the set where you'd see "Your Weather Authority" over the weather center.

See this screenshot. In the bottom left, looks like a construction element in studio was picked up by this camera. That area of the studio is where the TV is/was where Kristi did traffic/sports did their segments. Now Kristi is at the green screen and sports is in the breaking news studio. If there are visual elements changing, we'll find out soon enough.

IMG_EE0AB87B56F0-1.thumb.jpeg.88555ebcb56a7a044a3c2e5473169820.jpeg

On 12/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

I was watching their noon show today and noticed Liz Reyes behind what looked like a temp set.

Hawaii News Now (KGMB/KHNL/KFVE), although they do have the Gray ticker for mornings.

This is the same set the WWBT has. It's pretty rough.

9 minutes ago, Wildish said:

They desperately need an update, being the top watched news in New Orleans. But let’s be honest, gray graphics are trash.

Like I said the gray graphics cannot effectively compete with the competition in the media industry. 

WVUE's newscasts are now nearly back to "normal" from the camera angle and studio usage perspective. The only difference that persists is that Kristi does morning traffic from the green screen still. However, reporters and sports have returned to their normal spot in the studio. Maybe there were some post-Ida fixes they just got around to, or some equipment upgrades, or some other set element changes we haven't yet seen on-air ...

Archived