Sara Donchey leaving the Duopoly for KPIX

FiveNews

Lieberman is reporting that 2/9 reporter Sara Donchey is leaving to join KPIX. In her new role, she will anchor the weekday 5pm newscast with newly appointed anchor Ryan Yamamoto.

Interesting development for sure. I liked Sara at 2/9 and was disappointed when she returned from a leave that she was relegated to weekday nightside reporting. She had great chemistry with her weekend co-anchor Chris Holmstrom. Good news for her is that she gets to remain in California and remains in the CBS family.

Link below to Sara anchoring breaking earthquake coverage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwUYOTUC8A

I did some digging because we all know Lieberman can also write his fair share of make-believe, but yes, this does seem to be true.

First off, Donchey's background - she's an SFSU alum and was a production assistant at KPIX after graduating, so she's not a stranger to the area or the station.

Then, KPIX sports anchor Vern Glenn tweeted this and confirms she's likely coming to the station.

And lastly, her recent social media follows suggests she's familiarizing herself with people and entities in the Bay as well as some people at KPIX.

I also liked the rapport between her and Chris but I thought after she had her leave, things seemed different with her and the station.

They never rotated Lesley back out again, so it seemed like an unofficial permanent decision.

It really seems like KPIX has finally dug in to invest in their anchor slate after it had gone stale compared to KGO/KNTV (of course, also helped by new leadership in corporate, which likely encouraged the choices).

Now that Ken and Michelle have left, it seems to have been a catalyst to make some decisions (e.g. anchors Amanda, Ryan, and now Sara, along with relatively new reporters Justin, Max, and Jocelyn to fill all the vacancies).

• 1 month later...

A gratuitous bump, but after Ryan joined the station in early January, Sara has officially confirmed it on her social media today that this week is her last week on KCBS/KCAL and that she is headed for the Bay (that part on Instagram). Seems almost all but official at this point.

Archived