Red River Broadcasting Sold to Forum

GodfreyGR

https://www.inforum.com/business/7302587-Forum-WDAY-TV-plan-to-acquire-KVRR-TV-in-Fargo-KQDS-TV-in-Duluth

The proposed transaction also involves the sale of certain satellite stations that deliver the KVRR signal to parts of the Fargo market.

Forum Communications is a family-owned media company specializing in broadcast, print and digital news as well as commercial printing and agency services. The company has more than 35 news, niche and broadcast media brands across North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota and continues to invest in quality journalism in the communities it serves.

More details will be worked out in the weeks and months ahead, Rohrer said. The acquisition is still subject to receipt of regulatory and other approvals.

Also mentions that Forum owns the Duluth News Tribune.

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Some time ago, I vaguely remember predicting that this would happen. I think it was one of those Speculatron  threads.  

Living in the market, it was only a matter of time, and sorry that I don't keep up on the Speculatron as much as I should... My pipe theory was that it would be Nexstar (who has CBS for the state outside of Fargo) who would then do an affiliation swap to get CBS from Gray (Who has Fox for ND outside of Fargo).

It is unfortunate that there will only be two broadcast TV Voices in the market going forward, but in their presser, local ownership was a driving factor... Which can be appreciated, right?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mvcg66b3r said:

We all know Forum can't legally buy KVRR, because it and WDAY/WDAZ are both Top 4 stations. I bet FOX programming gets moved to a WDAY/WDAZ subchannel, most likely 6.3/8.3 which is in HD.

I'm not so sure there won't be a KDLT-style waiver attempted here for a duopoly. The article published by KVRR seems to imply such.

https://www.kvrr.com/2021/11/30/red-river-broadcast-forum-communications-reach-purchase-agreement-for-fargo-duluth-tv-stations/

Red River Broadcast has entered into an Asset Purchase agreement with Forum Communications Co. for the sale of their station assets, FOX affiliates KVRR in Fargo, N.D. and KQDS in Duluth, Minn.  The transaction is pending the grant of a waiver from the FCC.

• Like 2