November 2021 Sweeps

24994J

Tis the season for twinkling lights, hot cocoa, &...

Sweeps ratings.

After the dead heat in May, Chicago's late news ratings returned to normal, with WLS on top. WGN also led at 9pm, as always. No immediate word on the rest of the day, but I can safely assume that WGN was on top from 4-10am and Noon, WLS led from 4-7pm, and 11am was likely a toss-up.

(At last check, about 35,000 viewers equals a ratings point, which would put ABC 7 at about a 6.0.)

Screenshot_20211129-081010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e3c74ab8b21a5371a241ad2f311f0d3.jpg

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/11/29/robservations-abc-7-wins-late-news-ratings-november-sports-anchor-dan-roan-talks-retirement-wgn-radio-overlooks-dan-hampton-arrest/

Here are the Ratings for Pittsburgh Pennsylvania from the Great Rob Owen of TribLIVE.com.  

The big question going into November’s Nielsen ratings sweeps period that ended last week: What will the addition of 4 p.m. newscasts on WTAE-TV and WPXI-TV mean for KDKA-TV’s long-standing newscast in that time period?

In November, KDKA remained No. 1 at 4 p.m. in household ratings, a measure of overall popularity, and in the important-to-advertisers key demographic of viewers ages 25-54. But Channel 2’s ratings and audience share were down compared to a year earlier in household and demos as rival newscasts ate into its lead.

WPXI was last to enter the 4 p.m. race in September, but Channel 11’s Susan Koeppen-anchored newscast (with Joe Arena added as a co-anchor just as sweeps started) ranked second in the time period in households and demos, no doubt boosted by its “Judge Judy” lead-in, which, even in reruns, was No. 1 at 3 and 3:30 p.m.

WTAE, which added a 4 p.m. newscast over the summer, went from an also-ran in the time period a year ago (due to the low-rated “Ellen”) to a competitive third place.

The addition of 4 p.m. newscasts may have contributed to all three stations’ 5 p.m. ratings being down or flat in household ratings year-to-year. (A lack of inclement weather and less pressing pandemic/political news may also be a factor.)

The unexpected departure of Kelly Frey from WTAE at the start of sweeps didn’t seem to have much impact on the morning news ratings. WTAE maintained its lead in household ratings at 6 a.m. WPXI saw the most growth in the hour in households. All three stations saw ratings declines in the demo with WPXI in first place in the demo at 6 a.m. and WTAE and KDKA tied for second.

In household ratings, KDKA was No. 1 at noon, 4, 5 and 11 p.m. and tied for first with WTAE at 6 p.m. WPXI ranked No. 1 at 5 a.m. WTAE was No. 1 at 6 a.m.

In household ratings, KDKA was No. 1 at noon, 4, 5 and 11 p.m. and tied for first with WTAE at 6 p.m. WPXI ranked No. 1 at 5 a.m. WTAE was No. 1 at 6 a.m.

In the key demo, KDKA ranked first at noon, 4, 5, 6 and 11 p.m. WPXI took the top spot at 5 and 6 a.m.

Full Ratings HERE: https://infogram.com/tv-ratings-1hkv2nz3pko7n2x

Here is the full Article HERE: https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-jeannette-woman-competes-on-meet-your-makers-showdown-local-tv-news-ratings-released/?s=09

Screenshot_20211202-103150_Chrome.jpg

32 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Ladies and Gentlemen. Here is your 2021 November Ratings Feed. I will start off with the most competitive market in the country. Pittsburgh Pennsylvania from the Great Rob Owen of TribLIVE. 

The big question going into November’s Nielsen ratings sweeps period that ended last week: What will the addition of 4 p.m. newscasts on WTAE-TV and WPXI-TV mean for KDKA-TV’s long-standing newscast in that time period?

In November, KDKA remained No. 1 at 4 p.m. in household ratings, a measure of overall popularity, and in the important-to-advertisers key demographic of viewers ages 25-54. But Channel 2’s ratings and audience share were down compared to a year earlier in household and demos as rival newscasts ate into its lead.

WPXI was last to enter the 4 p.m. race in September, but Channel 11’s Susan Koeppen-anchored newscast (with Joe Arena added as a co-anchor just as sweeps started) ranked second in the time period in households and demos, no doubt boosted by its “Judge Judy” lead-in, which, even in reruns, was No. 1 at 3 and 3:30 p.m.

WTAE, which added a 4 p.m. newscast over the summer, went from an also-ran in the time period a year ago (due to the low-rated “Ellen”) to a competitive third place.

The addition of 4 p.m. newscasts may have contributed to all three stations’ 5 p.m. ratings being down or flat in household ratings year-to-year. (A lack of inclement weather and less pressing pandemic/political news may also be a factor.)

The unexpected departure of Kelly Frey from WTAE at the start of sweeps didn’t seem to have much impact on the morning news ratings. WTAE maintained its lead in household ratings at 6 a.m. WPXI saw the most growth in the hour in households. All three stations saw ratings declines in the demo with WPXI in first place in the demo at 6 a.m. and WTAE and KDKA tied for second.

In the key demo, KDKA ranked first at noon, 4, 5, 6 and 11 p.m. WPXI took the top spot at 5 and 6 a.m.

Full Ratings HERE: https://infogram.com/tv-ratings-1hkv2nz3pko7n2x

Here is the full Article HERE: https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-jeannette-woman-competes-on-meet-your-makers-showdown-local-tv-news-ratings-released/?s=09

Screenshot_20211202-103150_Chrome.jpg

I moved your post to this pre-existing thread.

I haven't seen final numbers, but I think this is how it adds up in KC.

WDAF wins 4a/5a/6a/7a/8a/9a/12pm/6pm/9pm/10pm

KMBC wins 4p (I think)/5p

Those are overall numbers, not demos. Viewership is up for most everyone year-to-year.

I know we're pretty much at the disposal of what stations chose to reveal for the most part, but does anyone have info for Minneapolis-St.Paul? Seems like none of the stations in the market reveal much.

Used to be KARE vs WCCO, but hard to believe that is still the case with Tegna ownership and KMSP stepping up their game the last few years...

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

Thanks @noggi! Appreciate the insight! Fall from grace for KARE over the years- unless they sneak a win at 5pm?

I'm curious to see who performs well in households...who actually has the most viewers.

12 hours ago, jbnews said:

I'm curious to see who performs well in households...who actually has the most viewers.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the station with the "Minnesota's most-watched station" moniker probably has the highest HH. Those taglines usually are HH-centric, not demos. Hard to say if the HH align with the demos, but I don't think it's out of the question here. I'll ask around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, Greggo said:

Re WCCO: It’s odd for a CBS station not to win the noon news. Which station is #1 middays? 

I’m sure it wins it Noon Broadcast it lead- is Y&R and it really has no strong competition. KARE 11 had midday news at 11a and now has syndication show. KSTP air midday news at11am for an hour and double back on KSTC 45 and I’m sure 45’s noon news isn’t beating WCCO. Over the last few years sweeps reports haven’t been published in local newspapers- unless it on the the station website.  I do miss how newspapers would published the latest numbers and etc..

6 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Not a surprise. WBNS imploded and has been destroyed by tegna. CMH has a weak anchor team (minus colleen) 

Ir was only a matter of time before WSYX became #1.  Sinclair has always put them on a pedestal and it's been a top moneymaker for them along with "Fox 28"...now WSYX 6-3.

NBC had success with WCMH, Media General didn't know what to do with them, and now Nexstar has been trying to pick up the pieces.  And they've always had to play second fiddle to WHIZ in Zanesville, while the other Columbus stations round out the market.

As for 10TV, they've been slipping even before the sale.  Andrea Cambern and Jerry Revish leaving was basically the last of their glory days on the anchor desk. Top that off with the passing of Chris Bradley then the shocking revelations of Mike Davis.

Tegna basically finished off what was left of them.  Making them into another Tegna clone took away anything 10TV ever had to offer in the past.

2 hours ago, Breaking News said:

sweeps reports haven’t been published in local newspapers-

CJ used to make it part of her column in the Strib, but that ended when she went after a KARE personality. Only station in MSP that would put it on their website is KSTP if and when they ever knock off 'CCO.

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

CJ used to make it part of her column in the Strib, but that ended when she went after a KARE personality. Only station in MSP that would put it on their website is KSTP if and when they ever knock off 'CCO.

Didn't she retired? I didn't know she went after a KARE personality. I thought Strib made cuts with her department. 

KARE 11's story from being an Indy outlet to NBC affiliate. Going from last to first is a story like no other for a TV station. Gannett buying the station in 1983 and changes the fortunes. Knocking down the two old guards of KSTP & WCCO. With both having a long legacy of tradition.

KSTP has always had a good product, but it revolving door of talent hurt them. Paul Magers was the best thing for KARE 11 and WCCO didn't skip a beat. 

The investment of KMSP from being ABC-to Indy-FOX a couple of years back to Indy-UPN-FOX. Over the years it product has strength and Randy Meier doing his best work at FOX9.

KARE 11 from WTCN-WUSA-to KARE has a great success story and with the many top personalities, but when Gannett turn into TEGNA. The once top rated station played #2, but once

TEGNA get a hold of you. You sink to the bottom of the pact.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Ir was only a matter of time before WSYX became #1.  Sinclair has always put them on a pedestal and it's been a top moneymaker for them along with "Fox 28"...now WSYX 6-3.

NBC had success with WCMH, Media General didn't know what to do with them, and now Nexstar has been trying to pick up the pieces.  And they've always had to play second fiddle to WHIZ in Zanesville, while the other Columbus stations round out the market.

As for 10TV, they've been slipping even before the sale.  Andrea Cambern and Jerry Revish leaving was basically the last of their glory days on the anchor desk. Top that off with the passing of Chris Bradley then the shocking revelations of Mike Davis.

Tegna basically finished off what was left of them.  Making them into another Tegna clone took away anything 10TV ever had to offer in the past.

It was a matter of time for 10TV.  I feel bad for Yolanda, because she was told NOT to go over 10TV. Yeah they threw alot of money her way, but people inside BNS & their other properties saw

the writing on the wall. It was a matter of time, before they sold to TEGNA.  I'm no fan of Sinclair, but will give them their due on the achievement of becoming tops in the market.

Also don't forget Outlet had some success with WCMH4 when Doug,Mona, Angela, Gail, Cabot during the 80s when WCMH had the domination and giving WBNS a run for the ratings points. 

Now TEGNA looking for buyers and here hoping Bryon Allen makes good. 

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Didn't she retired?

I stand corrected... She called it quits in 2019... But yes, in 2016 she stirred the pot by writing about a KARE anchor wearing skinny jeans while doing the news.

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Paul Magers was the best thing for KARE 11 and WCCO didn't skip a beat.

Agreed- and CBS coaxing Magers to go to KCBS was the best thing for Don Shelby and WCCO- They took over first place and never looked back.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

NBC had success with WCMH, Media General didn't know what to do with them,

There was basically no reason for NBC to sell WCMH. Media General made WCMH one of their master control hubs because MG was clueless & had very few ideas.

Also, does anyone know the ratings in Cincinnati or NYC? They haven’t been posted on this thread yet.

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

There was basically no reason for NBC to sell WCMH. Media General made WCMH one of their master control hubs because MG was clueless & had very few ideas.

Also, does anyone know the ratings in Cincinnati or NYC? They haven’t been posted on this thread yet.

The real reason NBC dumped Columbus and the other markets at the time was the inability to pair with a Telemundo station in these smaller markets at the time.  Columbus was especially starved for stations, a situation later rectified with digital subchannels. 

Of the 4 that NBC cast off, WCMH was the only one to stay the course with Media General (now Nexstar) AND keep NBC. 

WVTM was flipped to Hearst when Media General took BACK WIAT, from LIn, WNCN flipped to CBS under MG/Nexstar causing WRAL to get NBC, and WJAR was flipped to Sinclair in favor of Media General getting WPRI/WNAC from Lin.

Archived