Jump to content

WDKY New studio/set


LexTVandRadio
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

The green is a nice touch on the FOX package of theirs.  I'm surprised that Nexstar hasn't varied the coloring in this package more.  A blue and gold variant would work with the FOX/CBS duopolies they have, especially those with the CBS package.

 

Had KCPQ stayed with Nexstar, this would have looked good with it, and the "Q" would still be around as well...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
typo
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, LexTVandRadio said:

Here are the new graphics for WDKY and a sneak peek of the set. 

Interesting look with the blue and green. It works here in Kentucky. WTVQ used a lot of blue and green in the 90’s. 

 

The colors give me some Seattle Sounders vibes. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Had WTVQ stayed the course with Media General, they could have ended up as a Nexstar station as well.

At least this way through the Sinclair divestiture, Nexstar has committed to starting a new operation in the market, giving them another voice.

Glad Nexstar is committed to WDKY and the Lexington market. 

 

Not sure how hard Media General tried to improved WTVQ when they owned them. 

 

But I have a good feeling WTVQ will be the 4th ranked station now. Going from a distant third to fourth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

But I have a good feeling WTVQ will be the 4th ranked station now. Going from a distant third to fourth. 

Maybe even to Fox and ABC on another subchannel if this goes very well (yes, the FCC would frown on it, but ABC and Nexstar could easily justify it). The network's been wanting off WTVQ for decades and Morris's odd entry in the competition to have 'most subchannels for a network affiliate' is probably a headache to the network, providers who have to add them onto systems, and viewers who have to delete sub duplicates and the Qrate shopping channels. Sinclair seemed to run the station fine, but really lost it plenty of years where it could've been a lot more competitive.

 

(Yes, they're tied with Nexstar's WJZY for most subchannels. But Nexstar never wanted in on that and had legacy agreements with Capitol and FTS to fulfill, along with the complications of the 'why?!' decision to sell WMYT's spectrum off.)

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Not sure how hard Media General tried to improved WTVQ when they owned them. 

Other than standard branding changes used on their stations, Media General didn't really move the needle with them. 

 

They were more of an "out of core" station at the time with the others (with the exception of the KWCH stations and KIMT, then the NBC O&Os) in a core southeastern region of the country.   

 

WTVQ  was dumped along with WMBB at the time since they were both ABC stations, and not hubbed. 

 

The only exception was their uber-dominant WJBF which ended up being hubbed in Spartanburg with their CBS stations at the time.  They needed to dump some stations to not only digest the NBC O&Os they had just gotten, but they were beginning to feel the pain of still having newspapers at the time. 

 

Finally dumping them in 2012 relieved them of this burden and then they began scaling up again with Young & Standard General.

 

 

Interestingly enough, Perry Sook was involved in the management of this station before he founded Nexstar.  So he himself sold it to Sinclair, and may have factored in his re-purchase of it when Sinclair needed to settle the score with them over the botched Tribune deal...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, mrschimpf said:

Maybe even to Fox and ABC on another subchannel if this goes very well (yes, the FCC would frown on it, but ABC and Nexstar could easily justify it). The network's been wanting off WTVQ for decades and Morris's odd entry in the competition to have 'most subchannels for a network affiliate' is probably a headache to the network, providers who have to add them onto systems, and viewers who have to delete sub duplicates and the Qrate shopping channels. Sinclair seemed to run the station fine, but really lost it plenty of years where it could've been a lot more competitive.

 

(Yes, they're tied with Nexstar's WJZY for most subchannels. But Nexstar never wanted in on that and had legacy agreements with Capitol and FTS to fulfill, along with the complications of the 'why?!' decision to sell WMYT's spectrum off.)

Are you talking about putting ABC on WDKY’s lineup? Yeah I don’t think ABC wants to be apart of 36. I hate watching any sports related event that is on ABC. The quality looks soo bad on there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.