The Weather Channel

NBC 5 Chicago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TWC is doing extended coverage of the west coast storm tonight, and instead of their own reporters, they are leaning heavily on their relationship with CBS News, featuring live field reports from both KCBS/KCAL (on their final night of the old branding) and from KPIX.

IMG_20230104_232052280.jpg

IMG_20230104_211422827.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last week on Thursday 3/16, TWC quietly launched a new streaming show every weekday evening from 8pm-11pm ET. It's definitely available on all of their streaming apps (Roku, etc.), but it's unclear if it's also available on the streamtwc.com site or not, and I can't test it, because unlike the streaming apps, their website doesn't allow you to log in with your TV provider's credentials. You need a subscription to watch via the website.

Anyway, the new streaming show is much more off-the-cuff and conversation-based than their TV product. One of the new personalities on the show is Heather Zons, who is one of their behind-the-camera meteorologists. She was given the opportunity to co-host this show on occasion. Last week, the Thursday/Friday shows featured her and Dr. Postel. This week, the Monday/Tuesday shows featured Carl Parker and Todd Borek. Curious to see who will host the rest of the week.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday of this week when there's a big severe weather event in the forecast. Will they pre-empt the streaming-only show for standard live extended coverage on the linear channel, or will they direct all viewers to the streaming platform?

By the way, the new show is so "experimental" right now that it doesn't even have a name. When they come back from break, they just say, "Welcome back to our new streaming show..."

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There is a rather significant tornado outbreak tonight (worse than the SPC's 5% tornado outlook would have implied). I give TWC huge props for pre-empting the 8pm-10pm ET block of long form programming on the linear channel with nonstop live coverage, something they probably would not have done if they didn't already have Carl Parker and Todd Borek in the house for what was going to be the streaming-only show.

But, you'll probably notice I said 8pm-10pm ET, right? Exactly, TWC dumped coverage and went back to long form at 10pm ET even though there were (and still are) multiple tornadoes on the ground.

Over at Fox Weather, they did the exact same thing and dumped live coverage at 10pm ET (as is their regular schedule). I guess both networks equally agree that weather doesn't happen after 10pm ET, just like weather doesn't happen on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Jennifer Lopez not that JLO LOL 😂 is now back on TWC I know she was working at WSB in the ATL when she left TWC for a couple of years. Always liked liked Jennifer Lopez glad she is back as OCM.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I see that Jennifer Lopez not that JLO LOL 😂 is now back on TWC I know she was working at WSB in the ATL when she left TWC for a couple of years. Always liked liked Jennifer Lopez glad she is back as OCM.

Jennifer Lopez has been back on and off for awhile. She freelances at TWC just like Julie Martin, Jeff Morrow and a few others when the full time OCM's are either in the field or on vacation and they need extra help. 

18 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Jennifer Lopez has been back on and off for awhile. She freelances at TWC just like Julie Martin, Jeff Morrow and a few others when the full time OCM's are either in the field or on vacation and they need extra help. 

I didn't know Jennifer and Jeff were still on there. I wonder if Vivian Brown freelances or not.

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I didn't know Jennifer and Jeff were still on there. I wonder if Vivian Brown freelances or not.

Jeff recently came back in... I believe 2021 for the first time since his original departure. I haven't seen Vivian at all since she originally left.

• Like 1

Vivian has sadly never freelanced after her departure from TWC. I was quite sad when she left. She was a huge staple of when I watched in the 90s and 2000s. 

• Like 2

Same with me. She was great on TWC.

On the air, Vivian would often talk about how 76º is the perfect temperature. To this day, I still associate that temperature with Vivian every single time I see a forecast of 76ºF.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I didn't know Jennifer Lopez was still a freelance at TWC see Julie Martin a lot. I miss Vivian I wonder what she is doing now.

Jennifer was gone from TWC freelancing like mid 2021 through early 2023 during her WSB-TV stint. Similarly, Julie Martin was gone from TWC freelancing for basically all of 2022 into early 2023 when she was doing a lot more work for Scripps News. She now says on her LinkedIn that she's a freelancer for both companies simultaneously.

TWC's in a tough spot right now as both Molly McCollum and Colleen Coyle are on a near-simultaneous maternity leave (I believe Molly just went on leave this past week, while Colleen had her baby in mid-to-late April), so I suspect that we'll be seeing a lot more of Jennifer and Julie from now through July.

It looks like since the beginning of May, TWC has aired reruns of Funny You Should Ask, a show that doesn't have anything to do with Weather. This seems different than other game and reality shows TWC has aired in the past. I laughed when I found that out.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

It looks like since the beginning of May, TWC has aired reruns of Funny You Should Ask, a show that doesn't have anything to do with Weather. This seems different than other game and reality shows TWC has aired in the past. I laughed when I found that out.

The only connection to weather on the show is host Jon Kelley referring to Byron Allen (who is a regular panelist on the show) in many episodes as "the proud owner of The Weather Channel." But, yeah, there's absolutely no point in why FYSA is even on the late night (11:00-midnight ET) schedule; it fits AMG's other networks (like TheGrio, This TV and Comedy.tv), but it sticks out like a broken leg on The Weather Channel. If any show should fill that hour, it should be either one of its other long-form shows or a forecast program similar to the former Evening Edition to serve as a live counterpart to Fox Weather @ Night (and as a weather-focused counterpart to the live shows airing during that hour on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News).

To be fair, this isn't the first questionable programming decision that TWC has made; under both NBCUniversal/Bain/Blackstone and Allen Media ownership, it aired movies with tangential (at best) connections to weather. "Flick and a Forecast" in 2009-10 featured such films as Wind (a film set during the America's Cup boat race), Misery (which takes place during a snowstorm) and The Perfect Storm; not realizing why airing movies on a network about weather didn't fare well the first time, TWC tried this idea again in January and February of this year, with the weekend evening "Winter Movie Fest" block.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

The only connection to weather on the show is host Jon Kelley referring to Byron Allen (who is a regular panelist on the show) in many episodes as "the proud owner of The Weather Channel." But, yeah, there's absolutely no point in why FYSA is even on the late night (11:00-midnight ET) schedule; it fits AMG's other networks (like TheGrio, This TV and Comedy.tv), but it sticks out like a broken leg on The Weather Channel. If any show should fill that hour, it should be either one of its other long-form shows or a forecast program similar to the former Evening Edition to serve as a live counterpart to Fox Weather @ Night (and as a weather-focused counterpart to the live shows airing during that hour on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News).

To be fair, this isn't the first questionable programming decision that TWC has made; under both NBCUniversal/Bain/Blackstone and Allen Media ownership, it aired movies with tangential (at best) connections to weather. "Flick and a Forecast" in 2009-10 featured such films as Wind (a film set during the America's Cup boat race), Misery (which takes place during a snowstorm) and The Perfect Storm; not realizing why airing movies on a network about weather didn't fare well the first time, TWC tried this idea again in January and February of this year, with the weekend evening "Winter Movie Fest" block.

The only other reference on FYSA about TWC was when Jon Lovitz made a joke about Byron buying the network, which made him laugh. I'd love an evening show like TWC had for many year but I don't know if Byron will eventually do that. If FYSA is on three other networks, plus syndication and even via a FAST channel on Local Now. I don't know if Byron saw the success of Gutfeld and CNN running Bill Maher's segments, and decided to run comedy on a mainly serious network. This is a worse fit than any of the times TWC has run movies.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 6:51 PM, abric said:

To quote Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons: "Worst idea ever." That's why I either watch FOX Weather or AccuWeather.

ACCUWeather seems that is just tape and never live in my opinion other than switching OCM's. I do like the local forecast where they show future radar for about 2 days out.

• 5 weeks later...

From everything I can tell, TWC ended their streaming primetime live weather show at the end of May. I went to watch it several weeknights in June, and I saw that it wasn't on.

Even tonight with the severe weather outbreak, TWC ended live coverage at 9pm ET on cable, and they did not do a streaming show tonight. I opened their Roku app, and the app claims that there's a separate feed for live severe weather coverage, but when you choose the special feed, it just streams the long form program feed that's currently on the cable channel.

Also, on AMHQ this morning, Jen and Alex officially welcomed Dr. Postel to their 9am-12pm shift on a regular basis. He had previously been on the show only every other week, as he alternated weeks with Carl Parker when the streaming show existed.