The Weather Channel

NBC 5 Chicago

39 minutes ago, mightynine said:

The app just has the same maps/forecasts/etc. as you would see on their website or other similar smart TV apps (except for whatever happened to the Apple TV TWC app, which is worthless these days).

Here's a good breakdown of the "new" Weather Channel TV App, which appears to just be their previous TV Everywhere-enabled app (for anything except, again, Apple TV) with the ability to pay directly for access to their TV stream:

https://thestreamable.com/news/the-weather-channel-launches-new-dtc-service-the-weather-channel-tv-app

Ah ok, so there's absolutely no additional live studio programming in times of severe weather compared to the cable/satellite TV channel then, eh?

On 5/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, mightynine said:

The app just has the same maps/forecasts/etc. as you would see on their website or other similar smart TV apps (except for whatever happened to the Apple TV TWC app, which is worthless these days).

Here's a good breakdown of the "new" Weather Channel TV App, which appears to just be their previous TV Everywhere-enabled app (for anything except, again, Apple TV) with the ability to pay directly for access to their TV stream:

https://thestreamable.com/news/the-weather-channel-launches-new-dtc-service-the-weather-channel-tv-app

I use my Apple TV all the time and not having it on there (as niche as it is) is a severe oversight. Not even a browser to AirPlay option. I have a Fire TV, but it's just too slow and, Roku's video standards and overall UX are years behind.

Like the horrible situation where the private equity vultures forced apart the TV Guide channel and the magazine and it took revolt to bring them and proper listings back together, the entire situation with the Weather Channel's breakup has been a complete strikeout; I'm more apt to ignore the Weather Channel completely because Spectrum never upgraded their local headend for HD (thus I get the same feed as DirecTV in HD), so it's either watch local coverage in 4:3 SD (which I simply won't in 2022), or cue up the Spectrum app and watch the Milwaukee headend's data (with Cleveland ticker advertising for some reason) over reality glurge in primetime the vast majority of the audience doesn't give a damn about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I use my Apple TV all the time and not having it on there (as niche as it is) is a severe oversight. Not even a browser to AirPlay option. I have a Fire TV, but it's just too slow and, Roku's video standards and overall UX are years behind.

Like the horrible situation where the private equity vultures forced apart the TV Guide channel and the magazine and it took revolt to bring them and proper listings back together, the entire situation with the Weather Channel's breakup has been a complete strikeout; I'm more apt to ignore the Weather Channel completely because Spectrum never upgraded their local headend for HD (thus I get the same feed as DirecTV in HD), so it's either watch local coverage in 4:3 SD (which I simply won't in 2022), or cue up the Spectrum app and watch the Milwaukee headend's data (with Cleveland ticker advertising for some reason) over reality glurge in primetime the vast majority of the audience doesn't give a damn about.

I agree; the selloff of weather.com, mobile assets, and forecasting technology to IBM was a huge detriment to the TV network. Now they basically don't have a leg to stand on in the digital and streaming age.

The Milwaukee headend has a Star where the ad ticker is for the Cleveland area? Are there any videos of it?

On 5/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, Spring Rubber said:

The Milwaukee headend has a Star where the ad ticker is for the Cleveland area? Are there any videos of it?

Never recorded it because it's on the Spectrum app, but the ticker's ads were for Elk & Elk and some service in Akron; it took until 2017 until we had Spectrum app access to TWC after the Time Warner merger.

Because TWC loves inconsistency (or because they're reading our thread 😉 ), they have decided to have special severe weather live coverage today starting at 5pm ET. Interestingly, at the time they committed to this, the risk areas were 5% tornado and 30% hatched for wind and hail. Since then, the SPC upgraded the tornado risk to a 10% non-hatched area.

This is definitely lower than the threshold that TWC has been using for their criteria to extend live coverage on a weekend for many years, especially considering today's events are transpiring in the plains, not their beloved northeast. Glad to see them giving some attention to severe weather in the plains on a weekend for a change.

They just started their live coverage at 5pm ET, and they're already advertising in the corner of the screen that they have long form scheduled to resume at 8pm ET. Guess what time the severe storms are expected to really flare up in earnest? Right around 8pm-9pm ET. 🙄

Update: around 5:22pm ET, they got rid of the long form advertisement and changed it to "All Evening - Severe Threat - LIVE Coverage". So we'll see...

Update: TWC dropped coverage at 9pm ET. So much for their "All evening" coverage. I guess it depends how you define evening.

Edited by Spring Rubber

In Out & About it was posted that Tevin Wooten is going to NBC Boston. It explains why he hasn't been on air since the beginning of May. Now, I wonder if they'll replace him on Storm Center or just keep it Jacqui and Chris. Felicia posted on her socials that she was no longer going to be a regular on Weekend Recharge with May 21-22 being her last time as a regular on there. Curious to see if we'll see some shuffling around and if they'll hire anyone new any time soon. With the holiday weekend they've had a lot of the part time OCM's on to help fill the voids. 

17 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

In Out & About it was posted that Tevin Wooten is going to NBC Boston. It explains why he hasn't been on air since the beginning of May. Now, I wonder if they'll replace him on Storm Center or just keep it Jacqui and Chris. Felicia posted on her socials that she was no longer going to be a regular on Weekend Recharge with May 21-22 being her last time as a regular on there. Curious to see if we'll see some shuffling around and if they'll hire anyone new any time soon. With the holiday weekend they've had a lot of the part time OCM's on to help fill the voids. 

Thank you for the updates. I noticed that Tevin's been gone for a while. I wonder if maybe this was even a planned move for a while. When each show had their "cover images" put onto my on-screen guide a few months ago, Tevin was excluded from the Storm Center cover image; while every other show had their OCMs added to the cover images.

Effective today, TWC has permanently moved the rerun of Pattrn from 1pm ET to 4pm ET.

Are they STUPID? The 4pm ET hour is typically when severe weather starts to explode on any given day, and now they're going to remove most live weather coverage from that hour. Unreal.

• Like 1

Wow... their better option would be 8pm ET. Run their live programming through the day and then at 8pm is the rebroadcast of Pattrn then they can run their deep bench of reruns of shows. This also gives them an option if Pattrn didn't air that day due to severe weather they can run a show if severe weather isn't happening at 8pm or continue with live coverage. 

I actually like Pattrn. It's a really neat show and I like where they're going with it. You'll still get updates on weather across the country. The climate stories they are doing are quite interesting and informative. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Wow... their better option would be 8pm ET. Run their live programming through the day and then at 8pm is the rebroadcast of Pattrn then they can run their deep bench of reruns of shows. This also gives them an option if Pattrn didn't air that day due to severe weather they can run a show if severe weather isn't happening at 8pm or continue with live coverage. 

I actually like Pattrn. It's a really neat show and I like where they're going with it. You'll still get updates on weather across the country. The climate stories they are doing are quite interesting and informative. 

Agree. The show is great, but it’s best suited for prime time.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Effective today, TWC has permanently moved the rerun of Pattrn from 1pm ET to 4pm ET.

Are they STUPID? The 4pm ET hour is typically when severe weather starts to explode on any given day, and now they're going to remove most live weather coverage from that hour. Unreal.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I wholeheartedly agree! 8PM would've been way better for the repeat instead of 4pm. FOX Weather and WeatherNation would seriously take advantage of it.

• 1 month later...

It looks like TWC has had a bit of a security incident earlier today. I'm curious what your guys thoughts are on the reaction from the FCC or TWC themselves. 

It might be the final nail in the coffin for the local on the 8s as we know it, but only time will tell.

On 7/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, asdu48 said:

It might be the final nail in the coffin for the local on the 8s as we know it, but only time will tell.

It won't be. This is an isolated incident with a cable headend in Des Moines.

But it was very disturbing to see.

• Like 1

After Tevin Wooten's departure in May, TWC quietly moved Dr. Rick Knabb from Weather Underground to Storm Center to replace Tevin, making Weather Underground just a two-OCM show now.

One caveat is that Dr. Knabb still appears at :50 past each hour on Weather Underground for the Tropical Update. That's kind of a historical nod to the way that TWC *used* to utilize their hurricane experts on the air back in the 90s/2000s/early 2010s.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...