The Weather Channel

NBC 5 Chicago

Personally I don't like the name, something like "The Daily Climate Show" (similar to what Sky has) would be better as Pattrn is a weird name and doesn't really explain what it is. TWC could've recorded it and stuck it at 8PM, that way 12-2 would've remained live weather.  

Edited by jrogo

Looks like Molly McCollum, who has been freelance with TWC since June 2021, has now been hired as a full-time OCM. Based on what I'm seeing, her primary weekday role on the air is as the weather update OCM on Pattrn, but I'm sure she will be tasked to fill in on shows all throughout the week and weekends whenever needed.

https://www.facebook.com/wxmolly/posts/519124126440610?__cft__[0]=AZXKmhPX-U1cktp1i0Rixua32G1Sx0NDMkYLoN90tDiIZ4qj8biU009vLUhvlYSwVxob9RiovVihY67P30eStxeQsvD7OYklObQR7_dAf-_fLUK-PVnx33nFgMExI1jgRYqBVR_pDzlQUM7BxZ2WqztEBpQWapsuOmW-PRTUU0IfPg&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

3 hours ago, jrogo said:

Personally I don't like the name, something like "The Daily Climate Show" (similar to what Sky has) would be better as Pattrn is a weird name and doesn't really explain what it is. TWC could've recorded it and stuck it at 8PM, that way 12-2 would've remained live weather.  

It's named after their streaming channel, I agree with you though.

Looks like TWC is set to launch The Weather Channel en Español on or around May 2, to coincide with the main network's 40th anniversary. TWC's last Spanish-language venture shut down way back in 2002, the network's 20th anniversary. I didn't hear anything about this happening, but I just caught this tweet from this past Monday. Based on the way this set looks, I'm speculating that this is likely in the studio that was most recently used as a second studio for isolation purposes during the height of COVID, previously used from 2015-2019 as the Weather Underground basement/bar set.

I can't find any articles confirming the exact launch date, but the tweet references two weeks from 4/18, so that should take us to 5/2. I did find these other articles talking about TWC en Español. Nothing here seems to really answer if this is going to be on cable, on streaming platforms(s), or both. Can anyone else find anything?

https://www.mediamoves.com/2021/08/sussy-ruiz-hired-to-help-relaunch-the-weather-channel-en-espanol.html

https://deadline.com/2022/03/byron-allen-allen-media-group-promotes-nora-zimmett-1234962360/

TWC en Español could be a Local Now thing, or maybe the new deal on YTTV will include the service and they just haven’t announced yet. 

On another front, I wonder if the quick shutoff of CNN+ impacts the plan for TWC+ - wasn’t it supposed to have launched by now?

6 minutes ago, mightynine said:

TWC en Español could be a Local Now thing, or maybe the new deal on YTTV will include the service and they just haven’t announced yet. 

On another front, I wonder if the quick shutoff of CNN+ impacts the plan for TWC+ - wasn’t it supposed to have launched by now?

It was supposed to launch sometime in 2021, but I haven't heard anything new in months. Maybe Byron thinks it might not work after all?

1 hour ago, mightynine said:

On the tweets from the conexiontconeltiempo twitter account, they have a watermark counting down to 5/2 for TWCE so that seems to confirm the date.

Nice catch! I didn't notice the watermarks before.

On a separate note, I recorded AMHQ today. Jordan was present, but Stephanie was not there. Colleen Coyle was filling in for her.

On Pattrn today, both Jordan and Stephanie are on the show. Jordan is wearing the same thing he was wearing this morning, so I assume this is still live/live-ish.

I didn't catch AMHQ any of the other days this week, so I have no idea if Jordan and Steph were there or not. Anybody know?

Edited by Spring Rubber

4 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Nice catch! I didn't notice the watermarks before.

On a separate note, I recorded AMHQ today. Jordan was present, but Stephanie was not there. Colleen Coyle was filling in for her.

On Pattrn today, both Jordan and Stephanie are on the show. Jordan is wearing the same thing he was wearing this morning, so I assume this is still live/live-ish.

I didn't catch AMHQ any of the other days this week, so I have no idea if Jordan and Steph were there or not. Anybody know?

They were definitely live for the first hour today except for pre-recorded segments. Now the second hour the beginning was the exact same as the first hour but I didn't catch the whole hour to see if there were other live segments or just a complete re-run of the first hour. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I wonder if they're bringing back the smooth jazz permanently? So many great memories of old-school TWC. So much better than the generic music they've used for close to 10 years.

I fully expect it to be one day only, tops. They might even switch to Storm Alert music later today when the severe weather outbreak occurs.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I fully expect it to be one day only, tops. They might even switch to Storm Alert music later today when the severe weather outbreak occurs.

I feel like the storm alert music is overused now. I remember when it was just for Storm Alert for hurricanes. I get sever snow storms or a huge outbreak but I feel they use it to use it sometimes. 

Also, I'm totally loving the jazz music back for the local on the 8s. I miss that. The only thing that stinks is the forecasts are only 1 min now and it was cool to have the longer 2 min flavors of the music back in the day. 

• Like 1

First Tornado watch is issued and bye bye jazz music. Indeed the alert music is playing. 

Looks like TWC en Español is using all the same music and graphics as the OG TWC from what little I saw of the stream. 

I was half hoping for today with the TWC en Español launch that they might do a graphics update across the board. They've been using the same graphics since 2013 with some updates here and there. While they have aged well I feel like now would have been a good time to do nice big update on the 40th anniversary. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 2

One TWC Expert didn't stick around for the big 40th anniversary. Turns out Mark Elliot departed in late March to take an off-air job at AT&T.

I've noticed a trend since Entertainment Studios took over; they haven't been hiring/replacing any of the Experts that have left TWC. When NBC was in charge, they hired and promoted an absurd number of experts, especially around like 2014-2015 when they first debuted The Lab. Now only Dr. Rick Knabb, Dr. Greg Postel, and Carl Parker still remain. All three of them are now used as pseudo show hosts at this point. Dr. Knabb is a host on Weather Underground; Dr. Postel is a host on Weekend Recharge and fills in Wednesday-Friday mornings as needed, and Carl Parker hosts extended coverage hours during severe weather. Entertainment Studios definitely wants to streamline their on-air positions and doesn't see the value in having Experts that aren't also hosting shows.

Also, this afternoon on Weather Underground, they did a quiz question of "How many hurricane experts has TWC had in its history?" The answer they provided was three: John Hope, Dr. Steve Lyons, and Dr. Rick Knabb. I think they literally wrote Bryan Norcross out of their network's history because he's working for the competitor now. 👀

• Sad 1

I've noticed this as well. Molly McCullum finally got upped to full time so I'm wondering if she took over Mark's spot. They don't see to hire a lot of full OCM's as they used to and they've seemed to be doing the Fox Weather route and have 3 OCM's on during their shows. I know usually its 1 Expert and 2 OCM's but Storm Center has 3. 

Tonight though is interesting on Storm Center. Chris Bruin and Jeff Morrow are on tonight. Last night it was Jacqui Jeras and Tevin Wooten, Chirs Warren was off. Normally Jeff fills in for extended coverage usually with Carl Parker in the overnight hours and usually just in the lab. Its nice to see him again interacting in the studio during a normal show. 

They do have a decent list of fill in OCM's that they tap during extended coverage. I noticed some have been on over the past few days.

They do have an OCM job posted on their website so maybe its like every other industry across the country where the job force is just not there. But they've had quite of few people leave and not a lot have been hired or promoted to full time. 

3 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I've noticed this as well. Molly McCullum finally got upped to full time so I'm wondering if she took over Mark's spot. They don't see to hire a lot of full OCM's as they used to and they've seemed to be doing the Fox Weather route and have 3 OCM's on during their shows. I know usually its 1 Expert and 2 OCM's but Storm Center has 3. 

Tonight though is interesting on Storm Center. Chris Bruin and Jeff Morrow are on tonight. Last night it was Jacqui Jeras and Tevin Wooten, Chirs Warren was off. Normally Jeff fills in for extended coverage usually with Carl Parker in the overnight hours and usually just in the lab. Its nice to see him again interacting in the studio during a normal show. 

They do have a decent list of fill in OCM's that they tap during extended coverage. I noticed some have been on over the past few days.

They do have an OCM job posted on their website so maybe its like every other industry across the country where the job force is just not there. But they've had quite of few people leave and not a lot have been hired or promoted to full time. 

When they launched the second part of AMHQ w/Jen and Alex last summer, they did away with the setup where Kelly Cass used to partner with Alex Wallace on Mon/Tue while Felicia Combs & Dr. Postel would host with him Wed-Fri. Now the whole weekend team is left without consistent weekday roles. I'm curious if they were given any behind-the scenes roles on weekdays to keep them full-time (when not called to fill in). I can't even remember the last time Paul Goodloe filled in on a weekday...

Edited by Spring Rubber

26 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Does he still have the AT&T job?

His Twitter bio still says so. Don't really have anything else to go on. Doesn't look like he has a public LinkedIn or a public presence on any other social media platforms.

In a strange move, no Storm Alert music / red logo on the Local Forecasts tonight. Heck, they didn't change the live on-air graphics to red until the new crew took over at 9pm ET. They were blue the whole rest of the day until then.

Interestingly today they are not showing Pattrn at all and running live storm coverage with Jen and Alex during the noon hour. I suspect Mike and Alex will take over at 1pm for an extended Weather Underground coverage. They're already advertising extended coverage for the evening and overnight so I suspect an added hour to Storm Center and then Carl Parker will do coverage late night. Yesterday was a higher outlook for Severe Weather than today so I'm surprised they went this route however there is already a Tornado Watch out so maybe that's why. 

Because nothing makes sense with TWC's program schedule, for some reason, the America's Morning Headquarters branding holds up for the 12pm ET hour, and the Weather Underground branding holds up for the 1pm ET hour, yet when the Storm Center team continues their coverage into the 8pm ET hour, they drop the Storm Center branding for that hour, change all of the studio lights from yellow to blue, and brand that hour as "Severe Storm Central".

I guess this has something to do with ratings manipulation?