Newsmusic Central updates Spirit News

24994J

CBS4 The Spirit of Colorado! That was the slogan for KCNC Denver in 1997, which was the year they started using Spirit News.

1997 was a year of change at KCNC. It was two years after NBC sold KCNC to CBS. Legendary anchor Bob Palmer had just retired. Not only did Spirit News hit the ears of every KCNC viewer. A new logo, a new set, a shift in how anchors sat (Bill Stuart on the left, Aimee Sporer on the right), and a promo campaign (with that gigantic colorado flag) came with that new music package. All went down in 1997 at CBS4.

Spirit News was used from 1997 until 2002. That was when KCNC gradually shifted to CBS mandate branding in line with other CBS O&Os. You know, the CBS eye on the left, and the channel number on the right. 

Let's hope the brass at the CBS O&O stations allow KCNC to use Gilmer's music ONE...LAST...WONDERFUL...TIME!!! Great to hear his news themes again for old times sake. The updated version of Spirit News would be a BLAST to hear on CBS 4. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

CBS4 The Spirit of Colorado! That was the slogan for KCNC Denver in 1997, which was the year they started using Spirit News.

1997 was a year of change at KCNC. It was two years after NBC sold KCNC to CBS. Legendary anchor Bob Palmer had just retired. Not only did Spirit News hit the ears of every KCNC viewer. A new logo, a new set, a shift in how anchors sat (Bill Stuart on the left, Aimee Sporer on the right), and a promo campaign (with that gigantic colorado flag) came with that new music package. All went down in 1997 at CBS4.

Spirit News was used from 1997 until 2002. That was when KCNC gradually shifted to CBS mandate branding in line with other CBS O&Os. You know, the CBS eye on the left, and the channel number on the right. 

Let's hope the brass at the CBS O&O stations allow KCNC to use Gilmer's music ONE...LAST...WONDERFUL...TIME!!! Great to hear his news themes again for old times sake. The updated version of Spirit News would be a BLAST to hear on CBS 4. 

Ha! No. I know the CSD. He wouldn't. No interest.

Huh, I had no idea that Chris Reed was doing this. He's also the one who has uploaded the most Denver news videos on YouTube.

Spirit is probably the best of Jerome Gilmer's work. That KCNC 1997 rebranding was pretty memorable. I can't help but wonder though if management eventually thought the theme was too light. Spirit lived on in some bumps and the 4pm First News open for a while, but they switched to harder cuts starting in 1999/2000 before going mostly with XTreme in late 2001. The Denver stations had a tendency to throw away anything creative after a while and copy KUSA.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:21 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ha! No. I know the CSD. He wouldn't. No interest.

Why Not? Look at sister station KYW Philadelphia CLICK HERE

Not only is KYW using the CBS Enforcer like KCNC is, CBS3 Philly has brought back the 5-note KYW music logo, but only for morning editions of CBS3 Eyewitness News. 

Beginning in 1991, while KYW was an NBC affiliate owned by Group W/Westinghouse, Cnannel 3 started using news themes that had the music logo from its radio counterpart KYW NewsRadio 1060.

The use of the 5-note KYW music logo stopped when CBS3 Philly (along with other CBS O&Os) started using themes containing the music logo of another sister station WBBM Chicago (aka the CBS Enforcer I Love Chicago music logo) as part of the CBS mandate.

The point is, if KYW can bring back something classic and old school (like the KYW signature), why not KCNC with Gilmer? Especially with the updated version of Spirit News? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

Why Not? Look at sister station KYW Philadelphia CLICK HERE

Not only is KYW using the CBS Enforcer like KCNC is, CBS3 Philly has brought back the 5-note KYW music logo, but only for morning editions of CBS3 Eyewitness News. 

Beginning in 1991, while KYW was an NBC affiliate owned by Group W/Westinghouse, Cnannel 3 started using news themes that had the music logo from its radio counterpart KYW NewsRadio 1060.

The use of the 5-note KYW music logo stopped when CBS3 Philly (along with other CBS O&Os) started using themes containing the music logo of another sister station WBBM Chicago (aka the CBS Enforcer I Love Chicago music logo) as part of the CBS mandate.

The point is, if KYW can bring back something classic and old school (like the KYW signature), why not KCNC with Gilmer? Especially with the updated version of Spirit News? 

Because he's a different person than KYW's CSD, and may not want to. It's not complicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, C Block said:

Huh, I had no idea that Chris Reed was doing this. He's also the one who has uploaded the most Denver news videos on YouTube.

Spirit is probably the best of Jerome Gilmer's work. That KCNC 1997 rebranding was pretty memorable. I can't help but wonder though if management eventually thought the theme was too light. Spirit lived on in some bumps and the 4pm First News open for a while, but they switched to harder cuts starting in 1999/2000 before going mostly with XTreme in late 2001. The Denver stations had a tendency to throw away anything creative after a while and copy KUSA.

Oh god don't they ever.

• 4 months later...

I noticed (on soundcloud) that NewsMusic Central has moved from its headquarters in Denver (home of CBS O&O KCNC (Newsmusic Central's original client)) to LOS ANGELES (home to KCNC's sister station KCBS)

1159716757_ScreenShot2022-04-23at9_44_19PM.thumb.png.49959c4771e08d75e209170ad8a776f5.png

I wonder what happened to the founder/composer Jerome Gilmer.

18 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

I noticed (on soundcloud) that NewsMusic Central has moved from its headquarters in Denver (home of CBS O&O KCNC (Newsmusic Central's original client)) to LOS ANGELES (home to KCNC's sister station KCBS)

1159716757_ScreenShot2022-04-23at9_44_19PM.thumb.png.49959c4771e08d75e209170ad8a776f5.png

I wonder what happened to the founder/composer Jerome Gilmer.

He sold the company in 2020 and is happily retired.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I need a huge favor.

If, for any reason, anybody has any stuff from NMC, PLEASE go to this site: https://www.newsmusic.com/collectors
And request a personal use license for the packages you acquire. It's literally just $25, and the music is yours to keep for your collection legally.

Seeing as we're the only news music company that offers this feature, I'm asking that everybody please respect that, and follow the rules when it comes to NMC packages. So if you have any in your collection, please do this.

Thank you!

Edited by ctmajka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4