Jim Gardner Reducing Schedule, to Retire at End of 2022

Morphtato

On 1/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, TVNewsLover said:

Honestly surprised they didn’t go with co-anchors. Sharrie is already in studio for the 10pm, and the two anchor their other broadcasts together. 

If they ever had a plan with Rick and a co-anchor at 11, it went out the window when Monica left.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m relaxed. Clearly you are not. But I’ve seen you go back and forth with others in the past (maybe that’s why you change your username often) so I’m also done. Enjoy your day. 

Whatever, bud. Good to know. I admit yes, and that's my fault; apparently twice is often to you, but no that's not the reason. And you too have a nice day.

Edited by Action Newsroom

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Whatever, bud. Good to know. I admit yes, and that's my fault; apparently twice is often to you, but no that's not the reason. And you too have a nice day.

I’ve never changed my name. Listen, I can go back and forth with you all week if you’d like, but I prefer not to. Just give it a rest. It’s ok to have a difference of opinion. No need to throw insults. 

Edited by TVNewsLover

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’ve never changed my name.

That's nice.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’ve never changed my name. Listen, I can go back and forth with you all week if you’d like, but I prefer not to. Just give it a rest. It’s ok to have a difference of opinion. No need to throw insults. 

No thanks, I don't want to; I gave it a rest hours ago. I just wanted to finish my piece and move on. If you do, fine. I apologize that you felt that way.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, TVNewsLover said:

Always thought this made sense. Surprised Jim doesn’t do a preview of the 6pm during the 5pm.

I saw on another thread that if Nexstar’s acquisition of the CW goes through, they may try to put Newsnation on at 10pm. With Nexstar owning WPHL here, I wonder if they would move the CW affiliation there, and if so, may spell the end of the news at 10pm. May make sense to hold off on naming a co-anchor until there is certainty or clarity on whether the outsourced news will continue.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian’s out this week so far, so Alicia has been filling in at noon. Christie has also been sitting next to Sharrie at 10pm this week. Wonder if this could be a preview of when Jim retires, with Brian taking over the 6 solo. Makes better utilization of Alicia and Christie instead of just being the third wheel feature anchors on the early evening newscasts. 

• 10 months later...

Do you think that Jim Gardner will probably write a book about his childhood and experiences growing up, and about his time as leading anchor of 6ABC Action News, just like Dave Ward of ABC13 Eyewitness News did in Houston (Ward's book [which I have read, and thought very good] being called Good Evening, Friends)?

If Jim Gardner does write a book, I'd love to read it.

(Reposted here because apparently this was posted in the wrong thread originally.)

They had a retirement dinner for him Wednesday night.  The station posted a short clip.

https://6abc.com/jim-gardner-retirement-6abc-action-news-hilton-philadelphia-city-avenue/12577054/

Here's a picture of some current and former members of the weather team that attended the dinner.

https://twitter.com/CecilyTynan/status/1603594827718868995/photo/1

Jim has also been giving some short memories of his time at 6abc.

https://6abc.com/jim-gardner-action-news-celebrate-obrien/12575031/

• Like 1

Tell you the truth, after Jim Gardner quits out soon, it'll be a strange feeling (but one we'll have to get used to) to that fact that Charlie Van Dyke's billing on 6ABC Action News will change in as yet unusual ways: at 6, he'll be saying, "Action News...Delaware Valley's leading news program...with Ducis Rodgers, meteorologist Cecily Tynan, and Brian Taff."

And at 11, he'll probably be saying, "Action News...Delaware Valley's leading news program...with Rick Williams."

That was a wonderful broadcast. Everyone's "thank yous" and honors were sweet, and Jim's farewell message was humble, poignant, beautiful and unforgettable. His shout out to his successors Rick Williams and Brian Taff was lovely also. I like everyone else will miss him dreadfully; but he deserves his retirement, and I know he'll live his best life with his family.

Thank you, Mr. Gardner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

That was a wonderful broadcast. Everyone's "thank yous" and honors were sweet, and Jim's farewell message was humble, poignant, beautiful and unforgettable. His shout out to his successors Rick Williams and Brian Taff was lovely also. I like everyone else will miss him dreadfully; but he deserves his retirement, and I know he'll live his best life with his family.

Thank you, Mr. Gardner.

Indeed-- his final signoff from 6ABC Action News was right up there with what Dave Ward did in Houston when he left the chair on ABC13 Eyewitness News.

• Like 1