Jim Gardner Reducing Schedule, to Retire at End of 2022

Morphtato

28 minutes ago, AdamStabelli1 said:

And wasn't it the 6PM newscast that Jim would walk away from and not the 11PM? I could've sworn he said he would stay on at 11 until the end of 2022.

Please refer to the link in the first post of this thread, that clearly states he's giving up the 11, first.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mughunter said:

Sounds like Brian Taff will not be Jim's replacement. There is someone waiting in the wings though. I guess they will announce it tonight or tomorrow.

Umm, read above. It's Rick.

7 hours ago, Mughunter said:

Sounds like Brian Taff will not be Jim's replacement. There is someone waiting in the wings though. I guess they will announce it tonight or tomorrow.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 15-09-47 Brian Taff on Twitter.png

If I were Rick Williams, I would be really upset if someone with a much shorter tenure got the job, however good they might be.

The announcement of Rick as new 11pm anchor was mentioned at the end of the 10pm earlier tonight. I'm very happy for Rick, and he's very deserving as Jim's successor. Now, I'm very curious about who'll succeed him at 10pm.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

The announcement of Rick as new 11pm anchor was mentioned at the end of the 10pm earlier tonight. I'm very happy for Rick, and he's very deserving as Jim's successor. Now, I'm very curious about who'll succeed him at 10pm.

Did he say he wouldn’t continue on the 10pm? No reason to think he will stop just because he’s picking up the 11pm. 

13 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Did he say he wouldn’t continue on the 10pm? No reason to think he will stop just because he’s picking up the 11pm. 

It was mentioned at the end of the show.. He said he'll be back from time to time to cameo. Sorry, I should've made that clear in my last post. I mean why should he stay at 10pm? I wouldn't want to spend more than 2 hours to a night if I were him.

26 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

It was mentioned at the end of the show.. He said he'll be back from time to time to cameo. Sorry, I should've made that clear in my last post. I mean why should he stay at 10pm? I wouldn't want to spend more than 2 hours to a night if I were him.

The morning team is on for 3 hours plus GMA cut-ins. Jim and Jackie do 2.5 hours each. Why shouldn’t he?

That being said, wonder if Christie will factor in at all, either sliding in at 10pm, or at noon, with Brian going back to 10pm.

I will say again color me shocked that they didn’t go with co-anchors at 11pm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

The morning team is on for 3 hours plus GMA cut-ins. Jim and Jackie do 2.5 hours each. Why shouldn’t he?

That being said, wonder if Christie will factor in at all, either sliding in at 10pm, or at noon, with Brian going back to 10pm.

I will say again color me shocked that they didn’t go with co-anchors at 11pm. 

I will say again, I said two hours a night. Mornings is one completely different thing. Since Jim and Jackie does more, that's their prerogatives. But I'm referring to Rick. Don't put words in my mouth.

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

I will say again, I said two hours a night. Mornings is one completely different thing. Since Jim and Jackie does more, that's their prerogatives. But I'm referring to Rick. Don't put words in my mouth.

Relax I’m not trying to argue with you or put words in your mouth. Just don’t see the big deal/difference between 2 hours and 2.5 hours, especially when it’s commonplace among other stations in Philly and around the country. 

Edited by TVNewsLover

38 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Relax

38 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m not trying to argue with you or put words in your mouth. Just don’t see the big deal/difference between 2 hours and 2.5 hours, especially when it’s commonplace among other stations in Philly and around the country. 

Okay, you relax. Not everyone does 2.5 hour TV news shifts every weeknight. That's the thing. And that's also commonplace. I didn't see a big deal or difference either until earlier. That's just my opinion. I'm done here. 

Getting away from whatever this is...

9 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Jillian Mele, formerly of NBC10 and Fox News, was hired by channel 6 recently. Maybe that's where she'll go? Her Twitter bio just says "Journalist 6abc".

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Okay, you relax. Not everyone does 2.5 hour TV news shifts every weeknight. That's the thing. And that's also commonplace. I didn't see a big deal or difference either until earlier. That's just my opinion. I'm done here. 

I’m relaxed. Clearly you are not. But I’ve seen you go back and forth with others in the past (maybe that’s why you change your username often) so I’m also done. Enjoy your day. 

Edited by TVNewsLover

I'd be surprised if they kept Rick at 10. Not to call the 10 team the "b" squad", but I get the feeling they'd like to keep their "premiere" talent on the 11 and have a separate team they can highlight on the 10 (and give viewers another reason to flip over to 6 at 11). Plus, I would be surprised if Rick isn't also named to the 6pm once that time comes at the end of the year. If he does drop the 10, the question would be- who gets the 10? Taff has already been shifted off to earlier in the day. Bring Walter Perez to weeknights? Call up Gray Hall from weekend mornings? 

• Like 2