Cox Stations (KIRO etc): whats happening?

newsman123

The Cox stations, specifically KIRO, is a mess. Like 5 reporters and anchors have left in the last few months. Whats going on? Is Apollo not renewing anyone up for renewal? Are these folks going to be replaced? 

WSB is the other powerhouse that is a shell of what is was just three years ago. Awful cheap young hires and vets out the door. 

Local TV in general is experiencing a talent exodus.

https://cronkitenewslab.com/management/2021/10/21/local-newsroom-recruitment-crisis-part-1/

https://cronkitenewslab.com/management/2021/10/28/local-newsroom-recruitment-crisis-part-2/

Nobody wants to work for peanuts in local TV when they can make bank elsewhere. 

I pointed out in the Discord last week that former WISN anchor Melinda Davenport was the host for Facebook's developer conference live streams. @Myron Falwellsummed it up best:

image.png.54255e9e5a4acdc56b8617e7525c9b32.png

Broadcast TV talent is learning they can use their skills at other jobs that make more money and have less stressful hours. There's fewer and fewer people that wish to replace them. TV news is a dying medium, and fewer people desire to stay in it when they can get better pay and hours that allow them to have a social life elsewhere.

That’s what happens when you offer zero percent pay raises or even pay cuts at contract renewal time, as many broadcast companies are doing. With all the belt-tightening, people at the Cox stations — which were always considered to be flush with staff and willing to spend major $$$ on pretty much anything — are doing way more with way less. I think someone here even mentioned not that long ago that KIRO had stopped staffing an overnight photog. And I believe the Jax duopoly grounded their chopper, as well.  (Maybe I’m misremembering.) It’s a totally different company. Scott from FTVLive has been posting a lot about it. 

• 1 month later...

The fall of WSB: can anyone on the inside give insight on what is happening there? Is it all apollo? Or does management need an overhaul? 

The place has lost almost all of its marquee talent, Monica goes to 46, the product is frankly garbage, if you have watched lately. Technical errors, bad anchors and reporters (aside from Fred and Justin), lackluster investigative/consumer team, new hires are

forgettable. 

I think Monica saw the writing on the wall. WSB is falling and fast. 

6 hours ago, newsman123 said:

The fall of WSB: can anyone on the inside give insight on what is happening there? Is it all apollo? Or does management need an overhaul? 

The place has lost almost all of its marquee talent, Monica goes to 46, the product is frankly garbage, if you have watched lately. Technical errors, bad anchors and reporters (aside from Fred and Justin), lackluster investigative/consumer team, new hires are

forgettable. 

I think Monica saw the writing on the wall. WSB is falling and fast. 

Richard Blecher and Mark Winnie still the best at investigation stories.  Glenn Burns on the weather, and they still have solid reporters i.e Richard Eillot, Tom Reagan, Ross Cavit and few others. The days of John and Monica are gone, but Cox should of known better to sell it to a private equity firm. I have hope WSB-TV stays solid, and hope Cox make better decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Jovita Moore’s death from brain cancer this past fall really hit WSB in the gut (and Ross Cavitt left a couple years ago for a PR job at Cobb County Government), as more and more Atlantans are finally turning to WAGA, WGCL, and/or even fourth-place WXIA for their news.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, johnnya2k6 said:

Jovita Moore’s death from brain cancer this past fall really hit WSB in the gut (and Ross Cavitt left a couple years ago for a PR job at Cobb County Government), as more and more Atlantans are finally turning to WAGA, WGCL, and/or even fourth-place WXIA for their news.

Is WGCL really beating WXIA now? 

Way to go TEGNA. 

Archived