New TEGNA graphics

MarkBRollins88_v2

I have confirmed that TEGNA will be rolling out a new graphics package for all of its stations in the near future.

They are done and ready to go. It will happen soon. 

I haven’t seen what it looks like yet but have confirmed with sources in the know that this is happening.

If anyone else has more info please share.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I have confirmed that TEGNA will be rolling out a new graphics package for all of its stations in the near future.

They are done and ready to go. It will happen soon. 

I haven’t seen what it looks like yet but have confirmed with sources in the know that this is happening.

If anyone else has more info please share.

Why are they doing this wouldn't you think it would've been revealed on the newer stations like WATN WTHR?

But I did do research and if they stick with the 4 year cycle then you'd be right. 

Returns Home 2009-2013

This is Home 2013-2017

C Clarity 2017-2021

? 2021-2025

Edited by nothing

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 7:31 PM, PTVNews said:

It's not a complete overhaul. Non-news junkies wouldn't immediately notice a difference. It's just an evolved look for some various graphic elements. I've already seen some of the "updated" look on KGW. 

This is correct. It's only on full screen gfx. Minor changes, but they're definitely improvements. Bigger elements, more depth, color gradients, and some updated animations. It isn't as flat as it was.

4 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

WATN in Memphis has been using the updated look for the last couple of weeks now. I'll post a compilation on my channel later this week.

That open is radically different - I haven't seen that before. Looks good and adds a bit of excitement.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

WATN in Memphis has been using the updated look for the last couple of weeks now. I'll post a compilation on my channel later this week.

That WATN open uses two different versions of the ABC logo...  when "ABC" is by itself, note the distance between the letters and the edge of the circle...

Other than that, it really does look better than the version before it.

5 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Wow, I like that a lot. Much better than the "old" open.

• 6 months later...

Don't know if these rolled out at the same as the rest of the update, but I've noticed that some stations are using a different L3 for anchors/reporters with white on whatever accent color is being used for the rest of the graphics.

14 minutes ago, djlynch said:

Don't know if these rolled out at the same as the rest of the update, but I've noticed that some stations are using a different L3 for anchors/reporters with white on whatever accent color is being used for the rest of the graphics.

KARE has switched to that. Also not sure when, but the TV panel wall behind the anchors is one big screen now as well

On 5/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, MidwestTV said:

I don't understand why there need to be special supers just for talent.

I don't think having separate L3's for anchors is the problem if it's done right. It's definitely the design in Tegna's case, as this is bordering on looking like KMSG's original set of overblown lower thirds.

Hearst has used separate L3's for anchors since the first diagrid look, and they work very well. It also helps that they actually look decent. (They still do this with the current look, but it's been consolidated onto the same L3 background)

Examples of separate L3's from the 2012 diagrid look:

Regular L3:

15592980-15592980.jpg.692073b721dfb5346facc66718fefa20.jpg

Anchor L3:

wlwt-tv-5-cincinnati-oh-2013-weather-johninarizona.thumb.jpg.fc5372fb4a43a6a2ac3b679a6776294a.jpg

Edited by kfc513
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, ATLNewsHawk said:

WMAZ in Macon is using new weather banners that incorporate more colors. Wonder if these are coming to other tegna stations

image.thumb.png.314f86000e5f50a4377f8c557573ec10.png

image.thumb.png.0320dca93f3810be15927b9b4472d5f4.png

image.thumb.png.243dffaa6b08dc7e59560ccd3ef612bb.png

They were one of the only things left untouched since the last update, so I wouldn't be surprised.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:04 PM, ATLNewsHawk said:

WMAZ in Macon is using new weather banners that incorporate more colors. Wonder if these are coming to other tegna stations

image.thumb.png.314f86000e5f50a4377f8c557573ec10.png

image.thumb.png.0320dca93f3810be15927b9b4472d5f4.png

image.thumb.png.243dffaa6b08dc7e59560ccd3ef612bb.png

They're optional, and from I hear, developed by WMAZ itself. 

Perplexingly, the weather package has been left alone by the graphics hub since the 2018 look came out. The only minor change was a refresh of some weather icons last year. Only the news (and maybe even sports) aspects of the Tegna standard pack have had any type of update. All of the recent weather design changes you've been seeing are from the stations themselves. WMAZ was simply very vocal about it.

WMAZ, KSDK, WHAS, WCNC, even KWES are some examples of stations that modified their weather banners by themselves. Hell, KWES totally bucked the standard Tegna 7-Day for a more traditional one at least 18 months ago without a peep.

Local Radar

Current Conditions

Piedmont

Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect for most of West Texas

Tegna seems to have relaxed quite a bit about rigid adherence to the look. Those new giant L3s from last year? Optional apparently. The only things that were really required were the new full screens and opens.

Edited by MidwestTV

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

WMAZ, KSDK, WHAS, WCNC, even KEWS are some examples of stations that modified their weather banners by themselves. Hell, KEWS totally bucked the standard Tegna 7-Day for a more traditional one at least 18 months ago without a peep.

Typo: KWES, not KEWS

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

They're optional, and from I hear, developed by WMAZ itself. 

Perplexingly, the weather package has been left alone by the graphics hub since the 2018 look came out. The only minor change was a refresh of some weather icons last year. Only the news (and maybe even sports) aspects of the Tegna standard pack have had any type of update. All of the recent weather design changes you've been seeing are from the stations themselves. WMAZ was simply very vocal about it.

WMAZ, KSDK, WHAS, WCNC, even KEWS are some examples of stations that modified their weather banners by themselves. Hell, KEWS totally bucked the standard Tegna 7-Day for a more traditional one at least 18 months ago without a peep.

Local Radar

Current Conditions

Piedmont

Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect for most of West Texas

Tegna seems to have relaxed quite a bit about rigid adherence to the look. Those new giant L3s from last year? Optional apparently. The only things that were really required were the new full screens and opens.

I think you mean KWES.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:59 AM, TennTV1983 said:

Liking the visiuals on the top video, but the gum drop music😷

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Don't know if other Tegna NBC stations are doing this or not, but KUSA is copying  the TODAY Show & NBC NIGHTLY NEWS, with a coutdown clock during the first commercial break during the10PM newscast.  (It might also be on KTVD but have not watched the 9pm newscast.) They started this Monday 8/13/23..

20230815_221206.jpg

Edited by DENDude
Fixed spelling
  • Thanks 1