CBS Sunday Morning - Will it Ever Go Back to Live?

Jascarter

When they pandemic started, they, like many shows, started broadcasting from home.  But they never went back to a "live" broadcast.  Appears they may be in a studio, but it's all green screen and I the quality looks terrible.  Would be nice if this show would go back to live, provide the headlines, weather forecast, and other features like the Sunday morning almanac, and weekly calendar.  And an update of who will be on Face the Nation,

Was hoping to see this in the fall, but appears the green screen format may be forever.

• 5 months later...

Wasn't it also supposed to be moving to Times Square along with the Monday-Saturday "Mornings"? I'm kind of curious now if it's a matter of avoiding the Broadcast Center or if they took down the previous set but never finished the move.

Studio 45 at the CBS Broadcast Center was home to Inside Edition and Sunday Morning. The Sunday Morning hard set took up most of the space. Opposite the Sunday set was a large green screen that was utilized for the studio portions of Inside Edition. Studio 45 is now being used for Paramount Plus.

To me, the minimalistic set from the 70s is part of the DNA of the show. I think their chroma key looks cheap and is more reminiscent of the production value you'd see at a small market station, not a national news program. I know CBS values the story over the presentation, but there's a fine line between intentional minimalism and poor quality. 60 Minutes does all its studio wraps on blue screen and it looks extremely polished. 

I know studio space is at a premium and it is not efficient to have Studio 45 house a hard set that is only on air for 90 minutes a week. But there must be a better way to shoot this show. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

To me, the minimalistic set from the 70s is part of the DNA of the show. I think their chroma key looks cheap and is more reminiscent of the production value you'd see at a small market station, not a national news program. I know CBS values the story over the presentation, but there's a fine line between intentional minimalism and poor quality. 60 Minutes does all its studio wraps on blue screen and it looks extremely polished. 

I know studio space is at a premium and it is not efficient to have Studio 45 house a hard set that is only on air for 90 minutes a week. But there must be a better way to shoot this show. 

I can understand they did this at the start of the pandemic when they were most likely shooting at home, but to make it permanent is ridiculous.

During Thanksgiving and Christmas, they did shoot the show on a set, but it was a scaled down version.  Stilled looked better and had more depth than the awful look it has today.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 9:42 PM, Jascarter said:

Here's a behind the scenes photo they showed today, in tribute to the director who is leaving.  Really sad what the quality of this show has become.

IMG_7615.jpg

It is sad knowing that they're stuck on the blue screen set (because the Paramount+ sports show took over that side of the old studio); but to be honest, I still don't mind the show being pre-recorded. Excluding people like us, no one would've really payed attention to the switch from live to not over the past 2 years.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Today CBS Sunday Morning was back on its full set for the first time since March 2020. They’ve done on-set shows for Thanksgiving and Christmas the prior two years, but it was a scaled down version and looked like a mess. Good to see the full set back. Hopefully it’s back every week. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they stayed on set for three holiday shows (probably taped them all the same day), but are back to the awful chroma key as of January 8th. Really sad what this show has become. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

As of this morning, Sunday Morning has received a new graphical intro.

And the new opening (I saw it earlier) has the CBS News name as part of the title again, just like it was with Kuralt and Osgood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmasters1 said:

And the new opening (I saw it earlier) has the CBS News name as part of the title again, just like it was with Kuralt and Osgood.

I'm glad "CBS News" is part of the logo again. Didn't understand why they took it out.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2023 at 12:45 PM, Georgie56 said:

So that’s where KPIX got their PIX+ promo with a virtual set of a building seen here with Jane Pauley, but in SF instead for their new prime time newscast that will debut one September.

• 3 months later...