Sinclair Ransomware Attack

Jess

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

Were any Sinclair FOX stations able to show the Broncos-Browns game on TNF? Will they be ready for the World Series?

Checking KOKH they were able to air the game. They probably couldn't air the station promos they usually do during the halftime show but otherwise they were able to show the game.

Speaking of KOKH they're slowly coming back online, the weather graphics and weather computers are working again, Jeff George (their Chief Meteorologist) was able to use the weather wall and it appears the cameras was somewhat back to operational.

They even had some graphics up but it looked like it was done off of PowerPoint or something to that effect. I don't know if they were able to do Good Day OK, Living Oklahoma or the 11am newscast today or really ever since the attacks happened on Sunday because I'm either heading to class at that time or I don't get up until just after noon.

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Checking KOKH they were able to air the game. They probably couldn't air the station promos they usually do during the halftime show but otherwise they were able to show the game.

Speaking of KOKH they're slowly coming back online, the weather graphics and weather computers are working again, Jeff George (their Chief Meteorologist) was able to use the weather wall and it appears the cameras was somewhat back to operational.

They even had some graphics up but it looked like it was done off of PowerPoint or something to that effect. I don't know if they were able to do Good Day OK, Living Oklahoma or the 11am newscast today or really ever since the attacks happened on Sunday because I'm either heading to class at that time or I don't get up until just after noon.

They were able to air Good Day OK and the 11:00 a.m. newscast today (Friday), with the L-bar ticker appearing mostly as normal but still with no L3s in the main frame. It appears, though, that KOKH is using a third-party media player (possibly WMP?) not connected to its graphics system to run main/franchise opens and news video. During the 11:00 a.m. newscast, I noticed a playback bar at the bottom of the screen whenever they ran an open or news footage.

Starting to see some signs of life in the Mobile/Pensacola cluster....

Local ads and station IDs are running on WPMI now, even during network programming.  Haven't seen any syndicated programming yet, but it could mean that the hub is slowly coming back on line.  

WJTC (and likely WFGX as well) carried their usual Friday Night Rivals high school football games.  These are produced externally and fed live to the station, likely either by microwave or satellite.

Even though it's the weekend, there may be a lot of progress made getting things closer to normal for Monday.  It's a good time to get into things and see if they're still working while the station is half-empty of all of the monday-friday workers.  Hopefully the engineers and IT people doing this are making LOTS of well-deserved overtime, they deserve it for all of the work they've had to put in the past week, and what's to come to bring things back to normal.

I remember WWMT saying in 5PM newscast on Tue that they were going to air Wheel & J and the anchors said they will take any win they can get. CW7 hasn't aired a 10PM newscast since last Sat they have aired a 6PM & 6:30PM newscast over the weekend on CW7 as WWMT airs football both Sat & Sun. Big Bang finally aired on Fri otherwise it has been National Desk I only checked from time to time to see if anything was missing on CW7. WWMT didn't air a Noon Newscast on Mon or Thur. Bally Sports I didn't see any problems with them getting the sports on have had the graphics for the games.

WSBT South Bend is finally able to air Wheel, but with a tech difficulties card during the commercial breaks and "WSBT - SOUTH BEND, IN" still written in the bottom-right corner throughout instead of their usual bug.

Wheel is still off-air on WGFL Gainesville, it seems; their P+ feed is still showing the 7:00 ET version of CBS Evening News.

Stirr was also barely affected, along with Bally/Tennis Channel. Likely with the latter they literally moved heaven and earth to make sure everything still aired normally because they lose Bally or any of those games, they're screwed more than they already were.

It’s been about 2 weeks now and the local Sinclair station (KEYE/Austin) still has no L3s. No bug with time and temperature. No live reports, either … only look-lives.  They do have prompters. Is it the same at other Sinclair stations? Kinda surprised they’re still limping along. 

I noticed that TBD (which is owned by Sinclair and airs in my area on KIAH 39.4) had been, for the past two weeks, cycling through the same commercials over and over and over again during every commercial break. Think this has to do with the Sinclair attack.

2 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

I noticed that TBD (which is owned by Sinclair and airs in my area on KIAH 39.4) had been, for the past two weeks, cycling through the same commercials over and over and over again during every commercial break. Think this has to do with the Sinclair attack.

Or... a low-rated, low-watched digital subchannel where the only ads are bonuses to sell a package on the main station...

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Or... a low-rated, low-watched digital subchannel where the only ads are bonuses to sell a package on the main station...

Do the ads have phone numbers on them?  They're probably "per inquiry" ads that only make money based on people actually calling the number.   Usually of the legal, medical, extended warranty, or "if you or a loved one has died from..." variety 

Ktul was finally able to start producing Good Morning Oklahoma from 4:30-7am during the hack they only did a hour at 6am then 5-6am.  The rest of the newscasts from 11am through the evenings shows went on as normal because they could get what they needed for the newscast within a time limit unlike GMO where they had to continue the same stories through the morning.

CW7 finally got a 10PM newscast last Tue up and running still no L3's just the bug is all they have showing. Comet was out for a week did come back last Monday Sinclair doesn't air Comet it's on WXSP .3 was a still when I checked on channel 177 on Spectrum. WWMT did have Comet on day 1 until Sep when WXSP took Comet WWMT .3 is now TBD. I was kinda surprised that Charge and TBD no no problems but Comet did.

I checked WKRC just now and graphics have returned to its newscasts (Lower thirds, bug, OTS's, etc.).

Not sure about programming outside of CBS and news as of right now, but 12.2 (The CW) was airing programming from TBD when I last checked there yesterday evening.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:04 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

The advertising on TBD (pre-midnight) is back to normal as of this week.

Archived