2021-22 NHL and NBA seasons

Viper550

Sportsnet is doing its own pre-game for the opening doubleheader: the new studio looks like a downgrade from what they had before (unfortunately I think TNT appears to have upstaged them), and I am hoping the theme music they used isn't the main theme because it didn't exactly feel like "hockey" music? (either that or they're saving the normal music - if they're still using it -- for their official opening night tomorrow).

But finally Sportsnet has some new graphics; finally gone flat, and they look absolutely nothing like what they had before.

Edited by Viper550

And yep, that ended up being the scoreboard. The lack of shots on goal is a little disappointing (could have easily took pages from some of ESPN's other events and had the wordmark to the top with Opening Night, and remove that NHL logo to make room for it), but it's a good first impression. Seeing the Monday Night Football-style AR graphics for the starting goalies was also a good sign, but I'm sure some fans are dreading whether a certain other MNF graphic will end up rearing its ugly head (those stupid CGI cartoon things)

Something I also noticed was that I guess the NHL is no longer insisting that the Golden Knights be abbreviated as "VGK" on all scoreboards; ESPN was using "VGS" tonight.

In addition, Sportsnet has debuted its new graphics; they're out in full force on their studio shows, but tomorrow we'll see them in-game for the first time. They remind me a lot of Fox's, except a LOT more white and blue, and with only one rounded edge. The ticker reminds me a bit of ESPN's, but they successfully resisted the "put a giant banner ad in the bottom-corner" trend at least.

The Kraken playing preseason games against Canadian opponents makes this most likely one of the shortest-lived graphics in all of sports...

Edited by Viper550

And Sportsnet's new graphics are official

The old Sportsnet graphics were dated out of the gate, especially when that was when all the U.S. networks were starting to go flat. These are a major improvement, though the team section is bugging me a little bit (the width, lack of team logos, and not doing the soccer-style layout anymore)

Meanwhile in Montreal, TVA Sports is still using the old Sportsnet graphics, but they appear to have retextured them to be flat. I'm not sure if I like this.

msedge_fkb1k0skGP.thumb.jpg.4243ca64e949d4de0ead5a36d2b672aa.jpg

Edited by Viper550

1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

And Sportsnet's new graphics are official

The old Sportsnet graphics were dated out of the gate, especially when that was when all the U.S. networks were starting to go flat. These are a major improvement, though the team section is bugging me a little bit (the width, lack of team logos, and not doing the soccer-style layout anymore)

Meanwhile in Montreal, TVA Sports is still using the old Sportsnet graphics, but they appear to have retextured them to be flat. I'm not sure if I like this.

msedge_fkb1k0skGP.thumb.jpg.4243ca64e949d4de0ead5a36d2b672aa.jpg

Someone at TVA has been watching football on Fox.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

The NBC Sports Regionals are debuting at the very least a new animation motif based off the new opens they launched last summer. These kinda remind me of the package they were gonna launch for their NHL coverage. I'm not sure if the inserts will be updated when the regular season starts (they're still using the 2015 Drive insert package for at least the preseason).

Just the animations, such as you posted, are getting updated. Not the inserts.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:41 PM, dman748 said:

Looks like they're keeping the Bally Bar on the bottom for now. I'm starting to question whether or not Bally will even debut the different looks for different sports.

I pulled up the Ducks game and it looks like they have a team-specific open. I didn’t record it but if you have ESPN+ you can take a look. With the NBA starting up this week, I’m guessing they’ll roll out team-specific opens for those teams as well.

Here in Atlanta they’re still using the generic open for Atlanta United (with a brief highlight reel beforehand), but I’m assuming that will change in 2022.

Altitude Sports & Entertainment, is still not available to Comcast & Dish Network customers in Colorado.  So no Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets or Colorado Mammoth games will be available unless you have DirecTV.   This is year #3 that Altitude hasn't been available to Comcast & Dish Network customers.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, JCB4TV said:

Has anyone noticed whether TV & radio commentators have resumed traveling to their team's road games, calling games on site and not remotely?

NESN still have the Bruins announcers (Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley) callings games at their studio during away games, but during home games they're at the TD Garden. 

Edited by AaronQ

• 2 months later...

Sportsnet is back in social distancing mode on-set with split-screens, most likely due to Ontario public health orders and Canadian travel restrictions (which are much stricter than what exist in the U.S., which can have a full studio panel without weird split-screens and Brad Marchand drop an S-bomb on basic cable.

Also noticed Sportsnet is using a generic replay wipe for the Boston/Montreal game, implicating they may be sharing video with TNT

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As part of their NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs coverage, the NHL officially made their debut on TBS. All of the graphics (not just the scorebug) had the TNT logo replaced with TBS. Even the main broadcast logo was changed. This is the first time I've seen Turner Sports go all out for this since they started broadcasting the March Madness Tournament. 

Another thing to note, they actually used the entire TBS logo in all elements of the broadcast. Usually, they only use the letters like they have for the MLB and March Madness broadcasts.

• Like 1