2021-22 NHL and NBA seasons

Viper550

It's almost time; there has been a lot of NHL-related news in the media realm, given the new U.S. rightsholders, as well as Sportsnet getting a new studio and hopefully new graphics this year (if the renderings of their new studio are any indication).

ESPN's logo was recently revealed, and it reminds me a lot of the previous NBA on ESPN logo so that's a good sign.

Long-time HNIC voice Jim Hughson also announced his retirement today at the age of 64; although it was stated to be COVID-related, I wouldn't be surprised if him only doing Vancouver games last season was meant to lead into this.

Edited by Viper550

On 9/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, Viper550 said:

It's almost time; there has been a lot of NHL-related news in the media realm, given the new U.S. rightsholders, as well as Sportsnet getting a new studio and hopefully new graphics this year (if the renderings of their new studio are any indication).

ESPN's logo was recently revealed, and it reminds me a lot of the previous NBA on ESPN logo so that's a good sign.

Long-time HNIC voice Jim Hughson also announced his retirement today at the age of 64; although it was stated to be COVID-related, I wouldn't be surprised if him only doing Vancouver games last season was meant to lead into this.

Also worth noting that Turner Sports released their broadcast schedule the same day ESPN released theirs as well. And there's TNT's logo of their NHL coverage. 

Edited by AaronQ

On Thursday, September 30th, TNT will start off their NHL coverage with a preseason doubleheader starting with the Philadelphia Flyers heading to the TD Garden in Boston against the Boston Bruins at 7:30pm followed by the Vegas Golden Knights playing against the LA Kings at the Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City, puck drop at 10pm.

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/2021-22NHLonTNTPreseason

Edited by AaronQ
  • Like 2

The TNT graphics look pretty robust. Looks like a mix of Fox and Altitude. Only thing bothering me is how wide the box for the scores are, but I don't know yet if they're going to show shots on goal in it too.

Edited by Viper550
  • Like 1

For whatever reason, it's the Turner Sports standard to have an unbalanced desk whenever there are three people instead of four. If you look back to Inside The NBA before Shaq joined the team or if you look at the early days of their MLB coverage when it was just three on-air personalities, they would always sit in the same unbalanced positions skewed to the right.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Turner Sports has started using Roboto ever since their NHL coverage debuted. Since then, it's also being used on their MLB postseaon and NBA presesson coverage as well. It's going to be their new font moving forward.

Edited by Georgie56

I am of the opinion that switching a font while retaining the same graphics is not a good look.

10 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

The NBA on TNT is in dire need of new graphics. They've been using the same scoreboard (albeit with minor changes) and graphics since 2014.

Ya know, back in 2014, I told myself that TNT needed to slow down on the new graphics. At the time, they were debuting new graphics basically every two years: 2008?, 2010, 2012, 2014. Normally the standard amongst most sports broadcasters at the time was to at least let each graphics package last 3-4 years. I guess I spoke too soon at the time. Little did I know that they would come to settle on these 2014 graphics for the next 7+ years!

We have another new hockey rightsholder here in Canada, with CBC having picked up some major junior games as part of a new CHL package (which sees TSN take over the main package Sportsnet used to have). This is also the first time we've had a CBC-produced hockey broadcast outside of the Olympics in a while: all of the graphics are the "standard" red/gold ones they use elsewhere (most of the L3s/etc. are a flatter evolution of the old HNIC graphics), and this scoreboard is very TSN-like

msedge_cDDJqNNoB3.png.c949207eb3432f7e60a41eb6951fd00b.png

Edited by Viper550

12 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Looks good! Too bad they'll have so few games in the early part of the season that we might forget what the graphics look like between November and January. 😆

I'm just hopeful that there's a shot on goal counter on it. 😅

Edited by AaronQ

The NBC Sports Regionals are debuting at the very least a new animation motif based off the new opens they launched last summer. These kinda remind me of the package they were gonna launch for their NHL coverage. I'm not sure if the inserts will be updated when the regular season starts (they're still using the 2015 Drive insert package for at least the preseason).

8406BBF2-4E7B-423C-95A2-ABC91E1A04F7.png

57289BB3-16D3-45A8-91BE-FF3B87833CA0.png

517A72D0-7171-4D7C-8090-2D4B4D82633C.png

D54ACA2D-FDCD-4499-9D0A-DDF794BAD685.png