KCPQ to drop the Q

Samantha

Hips don't lie. Neither do logos added to FCC public files.

The logos on KCPQ and KZJO changed in the last week-ish to

KCPQ.png.578fdb1e04827defcee234eebe254ac4.pngKZJO.png.3f3577f571c92fe064b69658a0ce151b.png

Oh, and last month they registered @fox13sea on Twitter (@fox13seattle has existed for years and doesn't seem to be them)

It'd be the first time without the Q13 brand since Kelly took over in 1980.

Edited by Samantha
upload images directly in case they are changed back or in the future
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Station logo.Station logo.

Oh, and last month they registered @fox13sea on Twitter (@fox13seattle has existed for years and doesn't seem to be them)

I knew this was going to happen. And with them going red and blue will they change to the default O&O color scheme. And it's sad to see the Q going.

Sad about the "Q" going...but very thankful the awkward Sam Zell-era sleazy "Joe TV" branding is finally being buried. They should've just kept the "Q²" branding on that station rather than making the viewer feel guilty for watching the station with their odd "we're a horrible bar you'd never want to go to!" schtick Randy Michaels forced onto them.

KCPQ has gone unrecognizable to its core audience. Generic, boring, dumb Fox mandates. I'll miss this branding, it was a part of my childhood and literally a piece of Seattle culture. Older folks will remember when they still had the "ding-ding" sound effect in their station ID. Puget Sound Television, they called it, at that time. And of course, Q13.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And yet they don't have fox13.com or foxseattle.com directing to their site...just fox13seattle

100k searchers a month for 'q13' related and only 10k with fox seattle / no 'q'

This one doesn't add up even on the digital front which is often a driver of these generic moves 

I suppose the local searches for 'fox 13' will start to rank KCPQ regardless of the domain

The talent and presentation at least earlier this year when visiting still felt very local though - they definitely had the most 'seattle' morning news going on

Keywords
Volume
KD %
q13 49.5K

q13 news 40.5K

q13 fox news 12.1K

q13 fox 8.1K

q13 weather 5.4K

fox news seattle 5.4K

fox 13 seattle 1.9K

fox seattle 1.6K

fox rent a car seattle 1.3K

q13 fox seattle 1.0K

Edited by sfomspphl

It was pointed out on Discord that one potential connection is a change in leadership: Sheila Oliver of KMSP/WFTC took over as GM from the retiring Pamela Pearson in May. Pearson had been the GM for the entire Tribune/early Fox era.

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/sheila-oliver-named-svp-gm-of-foxs-seattle-duopoly/

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Samantha said:

KCPQ.png.578fdb1e04827defcee234eebe254ac4.pngKZJO.png.3f3577f571c92fe064b69658a0ce151b.png

It looks like a throwback to sister WTVT's 1978-1989 logo.

WTVT | Logopedia | Fandom

Edited by jerseyfla

One of the unusual things Fox did when they acquired KCPQ is that they didn't install their own people in key management positions. In the last 20 or so years, anytime Fox bought or started up a station, they almost always brought in a GM and ND from existing O&Os. As a result, I guess KCPQ has had a pretty rough transition to Fox. As has already been mentioned upthread, they have a new GM from KMSP, the ND is gone and has not yet been replaced, and the AND has been replaced with an EP from KTVU. Expect more people from other O&Os to be moved to some of the many positions that are currently open there, and then more changes will follow I'm sure.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2021 at 10:32 PM, Samantha said:

Aside from KCPQ's questionable rebrand, Fox still can't decide whether to keep the boxkite logo or kill it entirely.

Just when you think they're dropping the logo mandate nationwide, they rebrand one of their stations and make a boxkite logo for them (that the station will rarely use anyway).

On 9/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, effseesee said:

Seems odd that they would create a new logo with the 20th Century spotlights, when Fox no longer owns it.

Fox News still includes the spotlights attached to its logo.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:32 PM, Samantha said:

Where did you find these at? I can't find the new logos anywhere but here.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:05 AM, Yankees4life said:

🤮

I do not like this move. I hope this bites FOX in the ass like it did when they tried to FOXifiy KTVU and then they had to revert back to the 2 logo...

I still don't think they've fully recovered from that. 

Is KTVU still the Bay Area news juggernaut it was under Cox?

Edited by Mrtraveler01

2 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I still don't think they've fully recovered from that. 

Is KTVU still the Bay Area news juggernaut it was under Cox?

Yes they flipped directions. No more couch set in the mornings. Just news, news, news.

the weekend version of Mornings on 2 seems more relaxed than the weekdays with some top 40 music or classic rock and roll for rejoiners after the commercial break.

if you want that “KTLA” feel with personality and some giggles, KGO is the way to go with ABC7 Mornings. 

24 minutes ago, SFTV said:

the weekend version of Mornings on 2 seems more relaxed than the weekdays with some top 40 music or classic rock and roll for rejoiners after the commercial break.

Not anymore. Fox used to have a blanket license where producers could basically play whatever music they wanted to play without having to worry too much about it. Now, it's limited to mostly only music that's 100% licensed under SESAC. I believe it has affected other O&Os as well.

MO2 certainly loosened up after Fox and with the addition of the 9am hour, but now it has gone back to close to where it was. The 9 still has a lot of interviews and segments, but even that has been toned down a little bit. The weekend show tried to really go outside the box for a while, but it has gone back to being fairly similar to the weekday hours.

KCPQ will be fine. Fox TV Stations is actually a decent company, and once people there stop freaking out about Fox and get some organized leadership to help, the station will come out of it in better shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, Samantha said:

It was pointed out on Discord that one potential connection is a change in leadership: Sheila Oliver of KMSP/WFTC took over as GM from the retiring Pamela Pearson in May. Pearson had been the GM for the entire Tribune/early Fox era.

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/article/sheila-oliver-named-svp-gm-of-foxs-seattle-duopoly/

The cultural vibe of the MSP and Seattle markets is similar so at least she'll have that understanding 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

This is going to go over in Seattle about as well as the Seahawks pass in the Super Bowl on the goal line.

Six years later, should have *still* passed it to Marshawn Lynch...

Albeit, someone mentioned weekend shifts, I never got to see those newscasts as I moved out of the Seattle area at the end of 2013. But my parents often watched KING 5's weekend morning news and stuck around for Gardening with Ciscoe (and Meghan Black). Got to see Ciscoe years ago at the Evergreen State Fair, doing (what else) a gardening seminar. Then after not seeing KING on my TV for years, I move to Ellensburg in September of '19 and within days...I see Ciscoe and Ed Hume reunited on New Day Northwest one morning in between classes. Whoa, time warp!

I can smell the mums, and see the hostas and tomato plants in my childhood backyard north of Seattle...ah the good ole days. Oh, and the blooming rhodendrons all over the outside of my house.

Anyways, I've gone off topic. Try to get this topic back on course.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been fine with KCPQ being the only Fox O&O to have the Fox name in the general branding only. Now, I'm getting the hang of KCPQ and KZJO changing their respective brandings of Q13 Fox and Joe TV to Fox 13 and Fox 13+. I'll bet that the rebrand would begin on Friday at 4:30 a.m. Pacific. The station's website got updated this morning.

Edited by DonDonP1

1 hour ago, DonDonP1 said:

I have been fine with KCPQ being the only Fox O&O to have the Fox name in the general branding only. Now, I'm getting the hang of KCPQ and KZJO changing their respective brandings of Q13 Fox and Joe TV to Fox 13 and Fox 13+. I'll bet that beginning this afternoon at 4 p.m. Pacific, KCPQ may change its news branding from "Q13 News" to the new "Fox 13 News." The station's website got updated this morning.

The on air branding starts Friday @ 4:30AM.

Edited by input2