CBS New On-air Bug

Casey Buck

• CircleSeven changed the title to CBS New On-air Bug

They've joined NBC by putting it on the lower left side of the screen.

But agreed, it is tiny.   It gets lost on the screen.  If someone is watching it on a low-bandwidth feed it gets obliterated by the "blocking".

Seeing it now on "CBS Mornings" I think it lines up with the new graphics, but still, it's dwarfed by everything else on the screen.

Normally I'm not a fan of oversized logos on the screen, but this is the CBS EYE for Pete's sake!!  Put it back to the size it was!!!!

Bugs were originally developed to help with accurate ratings tracking. They were intentionally large and obnoxious (to BUG you) and remind you which station you watched when you were writing things in your Nielsen diary. Now that that data collection is automated and digital, there is no need for an overly large bug.

10 hours ago, qunewsguy said:

Bugs were originally developed to help with accurate ratings tracking. They were intentionally large and obnoxious (to BUG you) and remind you which station you watched when you were writing things in your Nielsen diary. Now that that data collection is automated and digital, there is no need for an overly large bug.

And yet, the cable channels have turned their programming into obnoxious billboards for their marquee programs.  It's like they're ENCOURAGING people who still pay for linear cable TV to dump it so they can watch the same shows on-demand, without all of the visual clutter.

With OTT and future 3.0 developments,  I think we'll be seeing a lot more graphics originating on the devices themselves instead of being keyed on the main feed.  Hulu used to (still does?) this with affiliate logos on ABC programming depending on where it's being watched.

10 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Not a fan of this change. The CBS eye logo on the right was fine, and was not dated. This, on the other hand, is very small. If you have a TV that has part of the picture cut off, you won't even see it. I hope they make it bigger eventually.

The issue is that TV networks are now all 16:9, and outside a few cable systems who kept CBS 4:3 to save customer complaints, they know that most TVs now are 16:9. There will likely be an adjustment in size, but the days of 4:3 framing are quickly going away.

23 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And yet, the cable channels have turned their programming into obnoxious billboards for their marquee programs.  It's like they're ENCOURAGING people who still pay for linear cable TV to dump it so they can watch the same shows on-demand, without all of the visual clutter.

That's how I watch shows now; wait a week, or wait for it to hit streaming so I avoid most ads. I swear in the last two years, attempting to watch a film on cable has ALWAYS ended up with me tuning to an ad rather than the actual movies. That some networks basically mock the viewer now (Comedy Central's "Movies WITH Breaks") feel like utter contempt for the consumer.

Oh GOD those non-stop promo bugs on the cable networks. The ones that really bug me are the countdowns to some new episode of a show.

I.E. 'NEW EPISODE OF NORTH WOODS LAW IN 16:54:37', 16:54:36, 16:54:35...geeze louise we're not counting down the ball drop!

Remember the olden days when a cable logo bug (like TBS) popped up for 5 seconds or so, then went away until the next commercial break? 

At least for CBS, I hope they are not quietly trying to retire the eye logo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 2:50 AM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

At least for CBS, I hope they are not quietly trying to retire the eye logo.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, detroiter313 said:

Nah, the CBS Eyemark is here to stay, although they should've adjust the size of the logo slightly.

I should point out that this October 20 will be 70 Years since the "Eye" debuted.......

On 9/9/2021 at 6:39 PM, JosiahCubed said:

My dad (who's in his 50's and has some knowledge of graphic design) actually doesn't get why you all are complaining about the logo bug. It's a logo.

I'm curious about why it's so high. The size is fine, but the location isn't great.

• 1 month later...

We have our first departure from the mini-Eye tonight...the Adele special started with the familiar right-hand corner Eyemark of old, in 4:3 safe space to boot.

After the disaster that was the streaming rights for the Prince Harry/Meghan special it looks like they want to emphasize THIS IS A CBS SPECIAL ALSO STREAMING ON PARAMOUNT!+!!!!.

(And then I look up the screen and the mini-Eye is back for the second song? 😂)

Archived