WKBW ditches the "Circle 7"

tyrannical bastard

It's not a bad logo in itself, but it throws away decades of tradition at WKBW.  

It may look good on KMGH though.  Their logo looks more like a refined version of the Cap Cities variant that made it to 1980 (without the "Denver's" on it)

And while they're at it, can they add the "6" to WRTV?

Could be a pattern now at Scripps, all they have to do now is take the "5" out of the lottery ball at WEWS....

But dear lord if they ever mess with WPTV....or WXYZ...

Ok ...tangent over.

32 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Jesus...Scripps killed another station off 🤦‍♂️

Did they though? WKBW's problems existed long before Scripps got a hold of the wheel (Could argue even before Granite ownership).

I don't pay particular attention to this market, but I'd like to think that Scripps is responsible enough to try to correct the problem before blowing everything up and starting fresh...

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's not a bad logo in itself, but it throws away decades of tradition at WKBW.  

It may look good on KMGH though.  Their logo looks more like a refined version of the Cap Cities variant that made it to 1980 (without the "Denver's" on it)

And while they're at it, can they add the "6" to WRTV?

Could be a pattern now at Scripps, all they have to do now is take the "5" out of the lottery ball at WEWS....

But dear lord if they ever mess with WPTV....or WXYZ...

Ok ...tangent over.

They better not mess with the Circle 7 at WXYZ.  If they do, yikes!  The backlash would not be good at all.

D4902CF0-667E-4D68-B9A0-ACCAABA3F25A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

I'd be very interested to hear what the logic for the change was. Something tells me digital/SEO has to do with it.

If that was the case, they would have ditched the "7" altogether, ala WRTV.

This station has been a trainwreck for a LONG TIME.  Even Scripps is going to have to put some elbow grease in to try and dig them out of the basement.

Reposting this from another thread to point out how much effort Scripps put into this...

On 9/4/2021 at 5:46 AM, kfc513 said:

Aside from the ABC logo, this is the first thing that I immediately thought of when I saw this (and what it's most likely based on as they're both owned by Scripps):

WCPO_2020.png.67752e27e3bea2bfb2da41f9060cf985.png

18 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Wow. I'm shocked. Wasn’t expecting this.

Unrelated to this... we missed this FTVLive article from June: WKBW's thinking about dropping the Eyewitness News moniker. AGAIN.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/6/17/no-more-eyewitness-news

Reading this it says they were waiting for market research results. Maybe viewers felt the EWN / circle 7 reminded them of how poor today's product is compared to then. 

Give it a few years...some new management will change it back to the original 7 and EWN during the next ratings cycle. 

On 9/6/2021 at 5:20 PM, tw-804 said:

Wow. I'm shocked. Wasn’t expecting this.

Unrelated to this... we missed this FTVLive article from June: WKBW's thinking about dropping the Eyewitness News moniker. AGAIN.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/6/17/no-more-eyewitness-news

If they do, and ratings tank because the news on WKBW is not what their viewers have come to know for all this time, then (IMO) they shouldn't play the victim and say "No one's tuning in-- we're sinking!", because this would have been a natural consequence, given what WKBW has been in and for and to Buffalo.

4 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

If they do, and ratings tank because the news on WKBW is not what their viewers have come to know for all this time, then (IMO) they shouldn't play the victim and say "No one's tuning in-- we're sinking!", because this would have been a natural consequence, given what WKBW has been in and for and to Buffalo.

If ratings tank?   How much lower can they go?

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the problem there may have been how much they let the whole station tank, all while "MCTYW" and their so-called "Circle 7" was made front and center.

By no means is Buffalo Philadelphia, and even Scranton/Wilkes Barre.  At least both of them put out a QUALITY newscast, which happened to have this signature theme (or successor one in WNEP's case).  When WPVI tried to change it in 1996, they had lots of longtime viewers, so lots of longtime viewers revolted, and it was switched back.

As for Buffalo, it was lipstick on a pig.  The station got worse and worse, and it finally came time to blow it all up and start over again.  Still a work in progress to this day, even after being bought by Scripps.

6 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

It could be a lot worse!

image.thumb.png.bba78fde9fa53d8fbc4e771a580ce8e8.png

IMHO, that’s not a bad implementation of the diagonal cursor idea. If you were to tighten up “BUFFALO” (and possibly use an oblique font - such as Univers Bold Oblique), and shorten the top on the 7 (a la KNSD’s 7).  The key is getting everything to align on the diagonal…

Jim

1 hour ago, compubit said:

IMHO, that’s not a bad implementation of the diagonal cursor idea. If you were to tighten up “BUFFALO” (and possibly use an oblique font - such as Univers Bold Oblique), and shorten the top on the 7 (a la KNSD’s 7).  The key is getting everything to align on the diagonal…

Jim

image.thumb.png.1362c3dbf58b63c3800f4c0503fc667c.png

Not bad! i think this is the first non circle seven logo concept that I've seen for an ABC Channel 7 station. I like this better than their previous citcle7 logo as I found the 7 to be to straight. IMO the curved seven of the ABC o&o's looks better.

9 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

image.thumb.png.1362c3dbf58b63c3800f4c0503fc667c.png

Archived