Severe WX Coverage

FiveNews

I'm watching from LA, so I might be misinformed. Would appreciate the group helping me out with what NYC did in terms of extended coverage for Ida last night. It seemed as if the market was woefully unprepared. I watched WCBS via their website, it appeared they had a streaming 9pm hour on CBSN New York and went for an hour at 11pm. They seemed to be the best of what I saw.

Didn't see any extra coverage on WNBC or WABC. WNYW went for about 4min at the top of the 10, then moved on to cover Ida damage in Louisiana. Barely gave PIX a second thought. It appeared social media was the place to be for wx related updates, not the local stations. Not sure if it was due to wanting to keep crews safe (which I support). Just seems like the stations were caught off guard, unless someone in the NYC market saw different coverage over the air?

I noticed the same thing when trying to watch from the Midwest. New York City was under a Tornado Warning and places were flooding yet there was hardly anything on the NYC local news social media pages. I’m curious what happened OTA too because It didn’t appear anyone was on live online except CBS NY. That is absolutely crazy if true. The only Facebook post I could find from ABC7 was an hour and a half old post. I thought this was all absolutely crazy given it’s the number 1 market.

Can't speak for NYC but here in the Philly region we started getting tornado warnings during the afternoon news block and they all stayed on air til 8PM after the storms moved out. Everyone's on the air right now covering the resulting flooding and tornado damage.

WCBS: they had a full hour of news on their sister station, WLNY from 9-10pm. They also had a full hour from 11pm - midnight, which they seem most prepared of all the networks. They did not have many commercial interruptions or do a sports report. Mobile 2 was out and about surveying the streets.

WNBC: they cut into primetime for a few times, but the regular schedule continued. The 11pm was normal.

WNYW FOX5: the standard 10pm news, nothing additional I noticed. I don't even think they had a crawl regarding anything.

WABC: had similar coverage to WNBC where they broke into primetime several times and at the top of each hour for a few minutes. They also had live coverage from 9am until after 11, then went to The View, in progress, presumably to take a break and return with their noon newscast.

WPIX: did have one special report for the tornado warning, but returned to regular programming, had their normal 10pm news and was done.

It was a bit dis-appointing last night. I found more coverage via News12 (live all evening until about midnight) and The Weather Channel.

42 minutes ago, civic110 said:

WCBS: they had a full hour of news on their sister station, WLNY from 9-10pm. They also had a full hour from 11pm - midnight, which they seem most prepared of all the networks. They did not have many commercial interruptions or do a sports report. Mobile 2 was out and about surveying the streets.

WNBC: they cut into primetime for a few times, but the regular schedule continued. The 11pm was normal.

WNYW FOX5: the standard 10pm news, nothing additional I noticed. I don't even think they had a crawl regarding anything.

WABC: had similar coverage to WNBC where they broke into primetime several times and at the top of each hour for a few minutes. They also had live coverage from 9am until after 11, then went to The View, in progress, presumably to take a break and return with their noon newscast.

WPIX: did have one special report for the tornado warning, but returned to regular programming, had their normal 10pm news and was done.

It was a bit dis-appointing last night. I found more coverage via News12 (live all evening until about midnight) and The Weather Channel.

Yeah, I don't get why the NY stations never cover tornado warnings, also what about WXTV and WNJU?

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the Spanish networks as I was watching for coverage.

NYC networks are always very hesitant to interrupt primetime or the network morning shows: biggest market, all those ad dollars and sponsors.

Unless it is a pre-planned event, such as the handful of preseason football games where primetime is planned to be on a sister network or digital channel, they try to avoid it, despite what turned into a catastrophic event.

There was definitely more coverage today during the regular newscasts. WNBC stayed on for a full hour at 11, and joined Days in progress after 12noon, while WABC was on from 9am until after 11am.

Aside from the usual crawls and tickers during the local morning programs, WCBS was the only one to use a crawl last night and today.

WNYW even cut Good Day at 9:30 to show a pre-taped program, as opposed to continuing with Good Day New York.

1 hour ago, civic110 said:

Was surprised WABC didn’t go to at least an hour at 11 considering the MTA had just suspended all service across the city likely leaving thousands stranded at the time. Lee Goldberg did break in for about 20 mins at 9 PM for the tornado warning. 

WNYW had coverage the first 15 mins of the 10 O’clock show before moving to the other news of the day. When I turned it back on at 10:45 they were in storm coverage again from NJ until 11 pm.

Considering WABC was showing live water rescues at 11 PM with strong storms still moving through much of the region I was shocked that they didn’t extend coverage.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Was surprised WABC didn’t go to at least an hour at 11 considering the MTA had just suspended all service across the city likely leaving thousands stranded at the time. Lee Goldberg did break in for about 20 mins at 9 PM for the tornado warning. 

WNYW had coverage the first 15 mins of the 10 O’clock show before moving to the other news of the day. When I turned it back on at 10:45 they were in storm coverage again from NJ until 11 pm.

Considering WABC was showing live water rescues at 11 PM with strong storms still moving through much of the region I was shocked that they didn’t extend coverage.

I totally agree, given the first ever flash flood emergency, and deemed catastrophic and life threatening, I'm really appalled at the decisions last night.

I think WCBS ended up having the most coverage last night by going with a live hour at 9 on WLNY and a full hour at 11. The Late Show was a repeat anyway, being on summer hiatus. I don't typically watch, but I thought their coverage was actually really well done last night. On the flip side, I am surprised they did not have any extended coverage this morning, and opted to show repeats of Drew Barrymore and Let's Make a Deal and let WABC go full during that time.

It was smart of WABC to go live after GMA from 9am until after 11am.

2 hours ago, AaronQ said:

Yeah, I don't get why the NY stations never cover tornado warnings, also what about WXTV and WNJU?

Both WNJU & WXTV stayed with their normal programming, with both providing updates via the crawls and asking people to check their respective news apps for continuing coverage

It seems like some staff were not happy with the lack of coverage based on this article...

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/9/3/new-york-stations-dropped-the-ball-of-flooding

I did catch a bit of WCBS and would say their coverage at 11pm during the storm was the best. I don't know- but I was hoping they would've simulcasted part of WLNY's 9pm news (or CBSN New York at 9, whatever) that night on CBS2

20 hours ago, civic110 said:

Your referencing of "network(s)" is incorrect. You mean station(s).

Networks are national program chains. Stations are the local link to that network chain (owned-and-operated or affiliate). Broadcasting 101.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Can't speak for NYC but here in the Philly region we started getting tornado warnings during the afternoon news block and they all stayed on air til 8PM after the storms moved out. Everyone's on the air right now covering the resulting flooding and tornado damage.

WPVI ran coverage all from the 6:00 news until about 7:48 when Wheel of Fortune got joined in progress. ABC World News and Jeopardy! aired on 6.2 Localish, as well as Wheel in its entirety.

KYW also simulcasted the full CBS primetime lineup on WPSG that night in anticipation of more interruptions. They did the same with Price is Right the next morning.

In NYC, WABC first cut in briefly during Wheel of Fortune from about 7:48-7:51 for updates on the flood warnings. Both WABC and WPVI had coverage during parts of the 9:00 hour as well, pre-empting part of The $100,000 Pyramid. The next morning, WABC ran coverage all morning and pre-empted Live with Kelly & Ryan and Tamron Hall. The latter aired on 7.2 Localish but K&R did not. There was a brief moment with difficulties where they aired Tamron for a few seconds, however. They signed off not too long after 11:00 AM, going to The View already in progress.

Archived