Why are Gray’s graphics so…bland?

appleachian

I’ve long thought that Gray’s group packages look bad, but watching WVUE for hurricane coverage and seeing how much better the Raycom graphics still in use look has made me wonder.  What does Gray lack in this department?   Their packages look so bland, one dimensional.  The font doesn’t look much fancier than Arial.  The animations are slow.  It doesn’t look much better than what someone can make at home with a video editing package.  What’s the deal?

1 hour ago, appleachian said:

I’ve long thought that Gray’s group packages look bad, but watching WVUE for hurricane coverage and seeing how much better the Raycom graphics still in use look has made me wonder.  What does Gray lack in this department?   Their packages look so bland, one dimensional.  The font doesn’t look much fancier than Arial.  The animations are slow.  It doesn’t look much better than what someone can make at home with a video editing package.  What’s the deal?

I think if Gray had adopted WAVE's original new graphics, before they went to some of Gray's new graphics, they'd look better all-around. WAVE designed in-house graphics in 2019 and used them for what, almost a year. They looked great, and they still do in the WX department since they kept a version of those in-house graphics.

https://www.wave3.com/2019/11/22/who-are-artists-behind-wave-news-new-look/

I'm hoping some of the Meredith graphics influence Gray's future. I really liked the graphics they've been using since Meredith debuted new ones last year, but even more so when KMOV did a total reset a couple years back. It's got some similarities to the font in the Raycom look that WVUE, WFIE and others are still using.

14 hours ago, appleachian said:

All of Gray's graphics packages being made completely in VizRT could have something to do with this. (Although that shouldn't be an excuse because I know it's possible to make better designs in Viz, see Hearst's graphics for example)

Someone on here linked to this older version of the graphics hub's website, which should provide more info:

https://sites.google.com/site/graygraphichub/home

Archived