Hurricane Ida

tyrannical bastard

Fox 8's New Orleans studios are out. I'm wondering where their satellite studios are located? Liz Reyes and Shelley Brown are anchoring coverage in a makeshift studio and handling it amazingly.

Reporter Rob Krieger did not realize the station's signal came back up in the middle of his phone call with producers while he was giving out his work phone number. He immediately began receiving text messages from concerned viewers checking in on him and his photographer. 

Edit: just saw  appleachian post. They are at WBRC.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Fox 8's New Orleans studios are out. I'm wondering where their satellite studios are located? Liz Reyes and Shelley Brown are anchoring coverage in a makeshift studio and handling it amazingly.

They’re at WBRC. 

WDSU has been doing a good job as well.  It seems like they're the "forgotten" station between the 3, despite being them first on the air and now being owned by Hearst.  The ratings woes go back to when their original local owners sold out to Cosmos, making them less of a "local" owned station, which WWL very much was back then (by Loyola).

They should be the #2 station, but have been more like the 3rd, especially since WVUE began rising in the ratings.  Being Hearst, they do a good job covering the news with solid and seasoned talent, without all of the gimmickry that Tegna and WWL have been forced with over the years.  WVUE still has the edge since they have the ability to compete in dayparts that the other three can't, namely 7-10am and 9pm.

Not sure if WVUE is back on the air in New Orleans, but their out-of-market-originated stream is on their YouTubeTV slot, and that is probably taking the place of the main station in New Orleans for the time being.

26 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WDSU has been doing a good job as well.  It seems like they're the "forgotten" station between the 3, despite being them first on the air and now being owned by Hearst.

Seconded. Had WDSU on yesterday since it was easy to flip their "Local Now" app to that station from the one I normally keep it set on. Dependably Hearst, which for those of us who watch from out of market is a nice consistency.

Interesting to see last night that WCCO was showing WWL coverage on CBSN (network affiliates) while KARE was also referencing WWL coverage. Did viewers notice or care? Probably not. I just found it interesting.

The only reason I haven't been watching WDSU is lack of their own Roku app (WWL and WVUE have their own) and the NewsOn app wouldn't show their live feed for some reason, just the standard newscast time slots.  I need to download the Local Now app; I wasn't aware of it before.

Back during Katrina, WVUE was forced out of their building due to flooding and worked out of WALA in Mobile for a while.  Both were owned by Emmis at the time.  WALA would eventually be sold to LIN and WVUE was the very last Emmis station to be sold off...to Tom Benson's Louisiana Media. 

Now with Gray owning WVUE and soon to be owning the Meredith stations (including WALA), WALA will once again become an option in the future as well.

Would agree. WDSU has been very solid, I’m particularly impressed with their morning anchors and the coverage they’ve provided.

WVUE is back up and broadcasting from their sister station in Baton Rogue on a makeshift set. They’ve lost all power at their New Orleans studio.

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

They've even re-created the WVUE (old Raycom Limerick) graphics for this special stream, only difference is that "Arial" is the font.  Normally I'd be a critic of that, but given the circumstances, props to them for trying to ensure continuity!

That's new, they had the red Gray graphics up before.  Looks pretty nice all things considered.

Looks like WGNO had to move their anchors off the anchor desk to another part of the studio

1545447289_wgno0830.jpg.3727b27aa62cd2c908a63ef9465d77b8.jpg

They also showed drone footage of the Galleria (where their studios are). 

https://wgno.com/tracking-ida/drone-video-shows-damage-to-wgno/

It took on some significant exterior damage to the outside walls and the roof.

16 hours ago, AaronQ said:

WWL-TV switched over to the Louisiana Public Broadcasting studios in Baton Rouge for the time being.

Edit: WWL-TV studios got some power back thanks to backup generators.

Of the NOLA stations, WWL has the farthest to go to any sister stations - KHOU would be the closest that could relieve them (I doubt KBMT has the space to do such). WDSU could easily hand off to WAPT or WVTM, while WGNO and WVUE have lots of options.

46 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Of the NOLA stations, WWL has the farthest to go to any sister stations - KHOU would be the closest that could relieve them (I doubt KBMT has the space to do such). WDSU could easily hand off to WAPT or WVTM, while WGNO and WVUE have lots of options.

And apparently travel to the west towards Houston is not recommended because of the flooding and impacts that LaPlace dealt with.

Just now, MorningNews said:

And apparently travel to the west towards Houston is not recommended because of the flooding and impacts that LaPlace dealt with.

That is correct, so Houston mets and reporters would have to cover for them until they could get there.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Looking at distance, Houston is around 5 1/2 hours from Nola. Memphis is about 6 hours. They could head north to WATN/WLMT since they are Tegna now. KYTX in Tyler, Texas could be an option, but like KBMT I fear they would be too small. Then there is WFAA in Dallas and WXIA in Atlanta, wile a greater distance... still large facilities to handle extra staffing.  

I lost power during Ida last night...while I was flipping between WWL, WDSU and WVUE. I remember WGNO showing infomercials yesterday evening and I was like, "Why aren't they doing live coverage?".

I got my power back tonight...I just have a bunch of tree limbs in my yard. My TV was on WVUE when power went out...and it came back on to them.

When I heard about the power outtage in NOLA Metro, I was like, "Holy...". Luckily, I didn't catch any station losing power...they kept going. Gotta give it up to WDSU and WVUE, they were on it. I appreciate WWL's tenacity and willpower, but they gotta do a better job of picking reporters, because I was cringing on a lot of their interviews.

WVUE was actually showing their live-stream of the 10 pm newscast on-air during the 10 pm newscast. It has gone out a few times during the broadcast. They actually showed whoever was controlling the laptop refresh the livestream page several times before pulling the page up. They are currently off-air as of this posting...and they have been off-air for about 10 minutes.

Glad to hear you are safe!

Watched WVUE’s coverage this evening. They ended live coverage at 11 pm to give everyone a break and will pick back up at 4 am. They mentioned they’d be replaying Monday’s evening coverage starting from 6 pm until they’re back live. I also noticed the person refreshing the Facebook page on-air to bring up the replay of the mentioned coverage.

Mostly watched WVUE, followed by WWL and WDSU. Tremendous effort by all the stations there, WVUE and WDSU stand out above the rest. Sobering to see how far WWL has fallen.

Last check, WGNO is back up and running on YouTubeTV with regular programming.  Noticed a local lawyer ad during the break and one of their IDs.  I wonder if they are running the station from a remote location (Nexstar stations are mostly hubbed, correct?)

WWL has ended coverage for the night and is back in regular programming.  WVUE is in yellow (usually a sign that the station is off the air on YTTV)

And WDSU is still on the air with coverage at this hour.

51 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Last check, WGNO is back up and running on YouTubeTV with regular programming.  Noticed a local lawyer ad during the break and one of their IDs.  I wonder if they are running the station from a remote location (Nexstar stations are mostly hubbed, correct?)

WWL has ended coverage for the night and is back in regular programming.  WVUE is in yellow (usually a sign that the station is off the air on YTTV)

And WDSU is still on the air with coverage at this hour.

Hopefully Hearst can bring some relief in to give them a break.

I don't think much work relief is coming. Tegna, Nexstar, Gray, all three have cut so many jobs over the years, that no other station can spare people to help. Hearst is probably in the best position to do so.

I wouldn't even attempt traditional newscasts at traditional times right now. Be mobile, shoot what you can, live stream what you can, put everything on the website and Facebook. Make sure the staff has plenty of time to return to Baton Rouge or Jackson or wherever to charge the batteries and live units for the next day.

17 hours ago, Working4You said:

Looking at distance, Houston is around 5 1/2 hours from Nola. Memphis is about 6 hours. They could head north to WATN/WLMT since they are Tegna now. KYTX in Tyler, Texas could be an option, but like KBMT I fear they would be too small. Then there is WFAA in Dallas and WXIA in Atlanta, wile a greater distance... still large facilities to handle extra staffing.  

That's why WWL worked out a deal back in the early 2000s with LPB to broadcast from there instead of going all the way to Houston, Memphis or Dallas.

Archived