WNCT new set underway

FmrENCNewser

New set construction appears to be underway at WNCT in Greenville NC. The current set dates back to 2012 IIRC. They are broadcasting from a temporary set currently and their main anchor says it will be a few months before the new set debuts. 

9BFE2428-C7FE-4EED-89CF-C8BF3C28E7AA.png

BF1FE566-6EBF-441E-93A4-A452C02FC4A0.png

• 3 weeks later...

More than likely, WNCT will be getting a graphics upgrade as well.  They're probably one of (if not the very) last with the old Young package that WNCN also got for their "CBS North Carolina" days.

Their current set was from the same company that did WBTV's prior set with all of the wood paneling, Modular Broadcast Design.

8 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Yes!
Thank you Media General for that. Time to lose a little weight on that 9. 

HAHA...I guess MG wanted to honor tradition. There used to be two similar logos before their takeover and rebrand in 98. The big 9 has some history there 🤣

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/d/df/S-l1600-37.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180608004850

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/4/4d/Screen_Shot_2020-06-22_at_9.59.34_PM.png/revision/latest?cb=20200724041039

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/7/7c/Wnctcbs9.png/revision/latest?cb=20160914220703

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, appleachian said:

That looks amazing!  How did they cram all that in there?!

They made use of every inch of that studio. As I understand it, it was not enlarged. I’d you’ve ever been in it, you know it is not very big by any means. 

Never thought I’d see talent highlighted either, but I caught this during the 6.

7 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

Graphics and set in action. They even brought former anchor Allan Hoffman out to introduce the set

That was one hell of an introduction to a new set.  Glad they brought the old anchor do to a nice piece on the station.  Everything I like about the set ... EXCEPT ... what is up with the purple beside the CBS Logo?  It does not match any of the Nexstar CBS gfx package.   Other than that, well done.

-- Matt 

6 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

That was one hell of an introduction to a new set.  Glad they brought the old anchor do to a nice piece on the station.  Everything I like about the set ... EXCEPT ... what is up with the purple beside the CBS Logo?  It does not match any of the Nexstar CBS gfx package.   Other than that, well done.

-- Matt 

The purple is likely a nod to ECU’s purple and gold colors. WNCT is the official station of the Pirates. That’s my assumption anyway.

2 hours ago, FmrENCNewser said:

They made use of every inch of that studio. As I understand it, it was not enlarged. I’d you’ve ever been in it, you know it is not very big by any means. 

Never thought I’d see talent highlighted either, but I caught this during the 6.

Love this.  I miss stations doing these. 

Watching now. The set is amazing, and light years ahead of anything else in that market, even WITN's ill-gotten attempt to move themselves to Greenville a few years back pales in comparison.

Love the treatment on the logo.  It works fantastically, and is almost an evolution of their late 90's variant when the "9" they have was introduced.   

Even ties in their old look with the slant to it (their WCPO-like logo)....see below.

Wnctcbs9.png

I'm not 100 percent on the use of purple (especially in the bug with the blue and gold supers), but it's a nice accent.  Purple is a hard color to use on TV anymore unless you're John Christopher Burns, or WWL.  I certainly see the appeal with ECU in the area, and working it in subtly adds a nice touch.

They ended up with Guardian though...Stephen Arnold just isn't what it used to be.  The packages don't age as well as they used to.

All in all, a great set and rebrand that really brings up the station several notches, and sheds the past link to the older Media General stuff that got stale over time.

Archived