WFAA leaving Victory Park studio

MarkBRollins88_v2

According to this DMN article, the new studio renovation will cost around $850,000 and will be in the second floor of their young street building. 

I’m not sure that’s correct… their studio space is in the first floor. I think DMN looked up construction permit records and thought the records for the renovation of the building’s second floor (which is happening concurrently with the studio renovation) were the records for the studio renovation… 

I doubt they’d have to file with the city for a studio renovation the same way they would for a building renovation since nothing structural is changing. They’re essentially just changing the furniture… not tearing out load-bearing walls, removing asbestos, changing HVAC, gutting building infrastructure, etc, etc. At most there may be some electrical reworking. But I’d almost find that surprising since buildings housing studios are usually wired when they’re built to be renovated without having to be rewired every time they’re renovated. But maybe I’m wrong.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/10/22/wfaa-to-move-its-tv-studio-out-of-prime-victory-park-location-in-january/?outputType=amp

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I’m hoping this new newsroom set is not the “new state of the art set” they were referring to

It's not because nothing is state of the art about the new newsroom set. They've been working on the main set at Young Street over the past few months according to DMN

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Just watched The News 8 Update a few minutes ago, and there was no mention of their last newscast at Victory Park. Shame.

I think Jason’s tweet was more saying it was *his* last newscast from Victory… he’s probably going on vacation for the rest of the year starting today. 

13 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Just watched The News 8 Update a few minutes ago, and there was no mention of their last newscast at Victory Park. Shame.

What they did also say Pete said that Santa's Helpers will be at Young Street this evening 

2 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

Oh my goodness… that story… the video they have from old newscasts at that studio. The old spirit of Texas music TEGNA scrapped. The old talent TEGNA scrapped. Oh the feelings it brings back.

Oh how I miss the days when this station put out top-quality stuff. It’s not to say they don’t still do good stuff—they have some very talented people. But the era this story brings back to life… it was another level.

I don’t know… I know the industry as a whole isn’t what it used to be.

But companies like TEGNA are why.

There’s no excuse that those days are gone. Tegna (Gannet) has/had the funds to keep the station operating just as it was. But they had to bring in their own, unproven way of doing things.

I get profits have gone down. But what they did to WFAA was more than just the result of an industry-wide loss in revenue.

They tried to fix what wasn’t broken. TEGNA was handed the keys to the Palace of Versailles and turned it into Holiday Inn. TEGNA was given a stately Victorian mansion and replaced all the hardwoods with laminate, even though they were in mint condition.

They should consider deleting this story. It makes people realize how much better things used to be. 😂  

also this makes it seem like they’ll be doing newscasts out of the newsroom for a while and aren’t moving to the new-old studio just yet.

Crap like this is what I’m talking about when I say this station is not what it used to be.

There’s self deprecating humor, but this is just literally the station saying… we’re cheaping out and we think it’s funny we can’t afford nice things any more.

like… what?

if anyone finds this post funny… it’s probably the folks over at KDFW, KXAS and KTVT.

Under no circumstances should someone at WFAA find this funny. 

9 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Crap like this is what I’m talking about when I say this station is not what it used to be.

There’s self deprecating humor, but this is just literally the station saying… we’re cheaping out and we think it’s funny we can’t afford nice things any more.

like… what?

if anyone finds this post funny… it’s probably the folks over at KDFW, KXAS and KTVT.

I saw a FB post in the comments after one of the WFAA anchors (I think it was Cynthia's) brought up the Victory Park departure/upcoming Young St. renovation.  It was from Lauren Przybyl (KDFW Good Day co-anchor): "Jealous!"  Looks like somebody might be longing for a new news set or redone station (?)....

10 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

I saw a FB post in the comments after one of the WFAA anchors (I think it was Cynthia's) brought up the Victory Park departure/upcoming Young St. renovation.  It was from Lauren Przybyl (KDFW Good Day co-anchor): "Jealous!"  Looks like somebody might be longing for a new news set or redone station (?)....

Per newscast studio there is a new facility in the works for KDFW… finally!

Has anyone found any pictures of any elements of the new set yet?

they’ve done a decent job of keeping it under raps.

unlike when they refreshed victory a few years ago and it was on display for the world to see.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:21 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Per newscast studio there is a new facility in the works for KDFW… finally!

Has anyone found any pictures of any elements of the new set yet?

they’ve done a decent job of keeping it under raps.

unlike when they refreshed victory a few years ago and it was on display for the world to see.

The only thing i saw was a small glimpse of the set in the story I shared and you could see some parts of it as the reporter walked out the studio door.

121BDF98-DA6B-4259-B193-ACCE38D933C9.png

AAF1F26A-3B9B-4513-B9B4-8121E26FA3DF.png

On 12/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

like… what?

I took it more as a general reference to the neighborhood the studio is in. I don’t live in DFW anymore but Victory Park is but a shell of what it was supposed to be. Restaurants, shops and offices in that area have frequently come and gone with lots of vacancies last time I was around. 

On 12/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Just pulling a low-rent WSVN for now while Tegna stock falls for a long while.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

Has anyone heard or seen a time frame of when they will be on the new set?

If I were a betting man, I'd say the first week of February for sweeps.

The DFW market should be interesting to watch for next month. WFAA isn't the only station in that market getting a set change.

Archived