WMBF New Set

News Fan

They also switched the music to Aerial after using the same cut of The Rock for 7 years. And the slogan is now “Live Local Now” instead of “late breaking” because that makes all the difference.

7 hours ago, froyo49 said:

They also switched the music to Aerial after using the same cut of The Rock for 7 years. And the slogan is now “Live Local Now” instead of “late breaking” because that makes all the difference.

YUCK!! Why would they do this? Talk about a downgrade 🤢🤮

2 hours ago, brb588 said:

I appreciate that it is a different "look", but everything looks IKEA fake. And yep, incredibly cramped. I can't imagine this aging well.

From what I remember, their actual building is cramped with the local newspaper and such, so I am not surprised at the size of the set at all.

21 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

From what I remember, their actual building is cramped with the local newspaper and such, so I am not surprised at the size of the set at all.

WMBF is the sole occupant of their building. You might be getting mixed up with The Sun Newspaper which is WMBF's next door neighbor (in a completely separate building). But you are absolutely correct when you say they are cramped. The building is very small and their studio doubles as their newsroom. I agree their set looks less than polished. Having said that, it doesn't look that bad on tv. They shoot pretty tight so their on-air product looks slightly better than what these pictures would have you believe. 

16 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

WMBF is the sole occupant of their building. You might be getting mixed up with The Sun Newspaper which is WMBF's next door neighbor (in a completely separate building). But you are absolutely correct when you say they are cramped. The building is very small and their studio doubles as their newsroom. I agree their set looks less than polished. Having said that, it doesn't look that bad on tv. They shoot pretty tight so their on-air product looks slightly better than what these pictures would have you believe. 

On 8/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Well there is a video on their Facebook Page showing that they moved to a completely new area for this new set. It still a small area but it's a legit closed off spaced. And I agree, the set looks better on tv because of the tight shots. With this, WPDE has the oldest set yet again LOL. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, MidwestTV said:

Is that a giant flask on the floor in front of those columns? Oh, no, it's just a light. Bet the anchors weren't happy about that.

I was getting mini bar vibes where you can put mini bottles with the back lit shelving on the anchor desk where the monitor is mounted. 😆

then proceed to the weather center desk and add barstools for champagne showers. 😂

34 minutes ago, SFTV said:

I was getting mini bar vibes where you can put mini bottles with the back lit shelving on the anchor desk where the monitor is mounted. 😆

then proceed to the weather center desk and add barstools for champagne showers. 😂

The sports anchor will fill it with bobbleheads.

It sort of has that conference room-lobby sort of feel to it.  And yes, the anchor desk seems very cramped with very little depth to it.

Considering that Raycom built this place from the ground up, it would have been a lot smaller than your average station has always been.  Especially since the set used to incorporate the newsroom, and now, it doesn't. 

Then again, WBTW and WPDE have made moves in the past 20 years or so to become more Myrtle Beach-focused as opposed to their origins near the Florence side of the market.  Their facilities seem a little larger, although WPDE is LONG overdue for a set upgrade.  Especially now that they're funneling news to Savannah as well.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, carolinanews4 said:

They shoot pretty tight so their on-air product looks slightly better than what these pictures would have you believe. 

Tight shots usually lend to the perception that they have something to hide.  Especially on older sets or if they want change for the sake of change...to get just a little more mileage out of a set that's past it's prime.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

All it needs is a waffle iron and some of those buffet servers.

"Live at the breakfast bar...I mean Breaking News center..."

I half expect the morning block to be called the Continental Breakfast Show - Pastries included. The show ends at 11am, because that's checkout.

12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Being Myrtle Beach, a major tourism destination, you would think the room...i mean set would be more like a condo rather than some cookie-cutter business-class hotel....

The better question is, is their studio near the airport and is there a free shuttle?

Archived