Coastal Television acquiring Waypoint Media stations

Morphtato

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Seeing as how they ran their Alaska and Wyoming stations (into the ground),  this could be bad news.

Then again, most of Waypoint's stations are basic means of bringing network affiliations (and "local" news) into under-served markets.

Not so much underserved, but run by a single uber-dominant station that no one would even consider competing against.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, hmaxhanson said:

This makes me wonder if Coastal actually owns a stake in NewsNet. Maybe they'll turn the old Independent News Network studio they have into a bureau for NewsNet?

Given how they've been running their Alaska and Wyoming stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped NewsNet to save a few bucks and use the old INN "News Hub" to do their own hubbed newscasts.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Weeters said:

Given how they've been running their Alaska and Wyoming stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped NewsNet to save a few bucks and use the old INN "News Hub" to do their own hubbed newscasts.

From what I recall, they already do that. All their newscasts are produced in Little Rock and they only have a few local reporters. If they decide to keep it, I could see them changing the music and graphics to fit the News Net template. 

Two examples, but all of them look and sound virtually the same.

I would assume that the WMDN LMA with WGBC will be continuing as before?

WMDN is being sold to Big Horn Television group from WMDN-TV LLC, while WGBC is being sold to Coastal from Michael Reed (Waypoint).

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/business/article/station-trading-roundup-7-deals-54101788/

Also no mention of WHPM-LD in Hattiesburg, which has operated in tandem with WMDN and WGBC.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Whpm

On 7/31/2021 at 9:11 AM, froyo49 said:

From what I recall, they already do that. All their newscasts are produced in Little Rock and they only have a few local reporters. If they decide to keep it, I could see them changing the music and graphics to fit the News Net template. 

Two examples, but all of them look and sound virtually the same.

As cheap as the Waypoint newscasts look. They still look a lot more polished than the pre-packaged garbage from the Coastal stations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Seeing as how they ran their Alaska and Wyoming stations (into the ground),  this could be bad news.

Then again, most of Waypoint's stations are basic means of bringing network affiliations (and "local" news) into under-served markets.

The Casper stations were pretty much run as bottom-barrel operations prior to Coastal's purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 10:23 PM, Samantha said:

It's the Bill Fielder Special, no doubt about it.

Ahh yes, the Bill Fielder Special; have several staff meetings, promise sunshine, rainbows, better equipment, more resources, better pay, etc. In the meetings, he talks about how he worked with Gray, and he has connections to take a good quality newscast, and make it even better. Then once he takes over, he makes you sign the "employee handbook" under duress without reading the handbook, and threatens you if you don't sign it right then and there. (one of the things it says, it makes you an At-will employee and they can fire you for any reason including cause) whacks everyone out of a job, and offer a severance of one paycheck, and if you accept it, you aren't allowed to discuss what happened. (So do NOT accept the buyout). I, along with anyone else who has experienced the Bill Fielder Special, am telling you right now, if that man, or Scott Centers, his right hand man, EVER set foot in your TV station, start working on your Resume and Reel and run like hell.

Take this from Several people in Alaska and Wyoming, and now with the NewsHub staff, who have experienced this!

• Like 1

So, coastal which replaced Alaska and Wyoming news with Traverse City, Michigan based NewsNet, NOW has bought [ to put it bluntly ]  what I guess could be considered their own NewsHub so to me that means that Alaska and Wyoming will be dropping NewsNet for newscasts of what was known as Independent News Network in Davenport ,Iowa  ? 

3 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

So, coastal which replaced Alaska and Wyoming news with Traverse City, Michigan based NewsNet, NOW has bought [ to put it bluntly ]  what I guess could be considered their own NewsHub so to me that means that Alaska and Wyoming will be dropping NewsNet for newscasts of what was known as Independent News Network in Davenport ,Iowa 

INN left Davenport years ago. They're now in Little Rock.

Edited by CircleSeven