Coastal Television acquiring Waypoint Media stations

This makes me wonder if Coastal actually owns a stake in NewsNet. Maybe they'll turn the old Independent News Network studio they have into a bureau for NewsNet?

Seeing as how they ran their Alaska and Wyoming stations (into the ground),  this could be bad news.

Then again, most of Waypoint's stations are basic means of bringing network affiliations (and "local" news) into under-served markets.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Seeing as how they ran their Alaska and Wyoming stations (into the ground),  this could be bad news.

Then again, most of Waypoint's stations are basic means of bringing network affiliations (and "local" news) into under-served markets.

Not so much underserved, but run by a single uber-dominant station that no one would even consider competing against.

6 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Not so much underserved, but run by a single uber-dominant station that no one would even consider competing against.

Pretty much, especially in places like Meridian and Jonesboro where WTOK and KAIT have ruled the ratings since the beginning of time.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, hmaxhanson said:

This makes me wonder if Coastal actually owns a stake in NewsNet. Maybe they'll turn the old Independent News Network studio they have into a bureau for NewsNet?

Given how they've been running their Alaska and Wyoming stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped NewsNet to save a few bucks and use the old INN "News Hub" to do their own hubbed newscasts.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Weeters said:

Given how they've been running their Alaska and Wyoming stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped NewsNet to save a few bucks and use the old INN "News Hub" to do their own hubbed newscasts.

From what I recall, they already do that. All their newscasts are produced in Little Rock and they only have a few local reporters. If they decide to keep it, I could see them changing the music and graphics to fit the News Net template. 

Two examples, but all of them look and sound virtually the same.

I would assume that the WMDN LMA with WGBC will be continuing as before?

WMDN is being sold to Big Horn Television group from WMDN-TV LLC, while WGBC is being sold to Coastal from Michael Reed (Waypoint).

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/business/article/station-trading-roundup-7-deals-54101788/

Also no mention of WHPM-LD in Hattiesburg, which has operated in tandem with WMDN and WGBC.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Whpm
On 7/31/2021 at 9:11 AM, froyo49 said:

From what I recall, they already do that. All their newscasts are produced in Little Rock and they only have a few local reporters. If they decide to keep it, I could see them changing the music and graphics to fit the News Net template. 

Two examples, but all of them look and sound virtually the same.

As cheap as the Waypoint newscasts look. They still look a lot more polished than the pre-packaged garbage from the Coastal stations.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

The Casper stations were pretty much run as bottom-barrel operations prior to Coastal's purchase.

• 2 weeks later...