CBS News - total failure

Vidifont

CBS News has failed to run the House Select Committee hearing of the Jan 6 Capitol Riot. ABC News has it on. CBS

News has turned into the rah rah network for happy people attempting to be anchors. Norah is terrible and Susan Zirinsky

has turned it into a circus. CBS reporters create great stories but the network is held together by cheap glue. Shame on

you CBS News for not running the hearing. I guess the Price is Right is what the country needs right now.

All very good assertions of the talent at the network, but there are enough cable and OTT News sites that if someone wants to see it, they very well can. It is not that 1980's when if CBS/NBC/ABC don't cover it, you need to wait to read it in the paper tomorrow. Is it good that at least one network is carrying it? Sure. But it's not the State of the Union Address by any means.

The same argument can be made for sports running past their timeslots on networks. Dennis Anderson was a long time anchor for WDIO in Duluth who once wrote that it irritated him to no end when the newscast was preempted by a network who owned a sports broadcasting empire. It's a fair point.

20 hours ago, Vidifont said:

CBS News has failed to run the House Select Committee hearing of the Jan 6 Capitol Riot. ABC News has it on. CBS

News has turned into the rah rah network for happy people attempting to be anchors. Norah is terrible and Susan Zirinsky

has turned it into a circus. CBS reporters create great stories but the network is held together by cheap glue. Shame on

you CBS News for not running the hearing. I guess the Price is Right is what the country needs right now.

In CBS's defense it was provided to affiliates as an optional Special Report. If the affiliate wanted to take it to air then they could have if they wanted to.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:54 AM, Vidifont said:

CBS News has failed to run the House Select Committee hearing of the Jan 6 Capitol Riot.

CBS News did a Special Report with full coverage of the hearing. It was an "optional" special report for local affiliates. Some stations aired the coverage, some stuck with regular programming. If your local CBS station did not run the special report, I'd suggest your gripe is with them, not the network.

12 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

CBS News did a Special Report with full coverage of the hearing. It was an "optional" special report for local affiliates. Some stations aired the coverage, some stuck with regular programming. If your local CBS station did not run the special report, I'd suggest your gripe is with them, not the network.

Was the difference between an optional and mandatory SR and what are the different levels for special coverage?

Though I see your valid point, I actually don’t mind that CBS skipped it. As others said there are many options where on could see the hearings if they wanted to.

During the days of Impeachment and COVID briefings, it would get annoying when all the major networks interrupted daytime programming to broadcast the same repeated briefing every day. For a situation like Impeachment or repeated hearings, the networks should take turns like I believe they did during the Watergate hearings. CBS covers the hearing on Mon, Fox on Tue, ABC on Wed, etc. 

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

[...] the networks should take turns like I believe they did during the Watergate hearings. CBS covers the hearing on Mon, Fox on Tue, ABC on Wed, etc. 

3b4.png.be870e36e5a24496127f1c97e1586397.png

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

3b4.png.be870e36e5a24496127f1c97e1586397.png

Yes, Fox TV did not exist in the 70s, I was listing modern day networks as a hypothetical example in reference to covering a modern day multi day coverage event such as the Trump Impeachment. Admittedly, the phrasing wasn’t clear.

Clearer: “In today’s times, broadcast networks should take turns covering a multi day event like the Trump impeachment. CBS on Mon, Fox on Tue, etc..” 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, iron_lion said:

Though I see your valid point, I actually don’t mind that CBS skipped it. As others said there are many options where on could see the hearings if they wanted to.

During the days of Impeachment and COVID briefings, it would get annoying when all the major networks interrupted daytime programming to broadcast the same repeated briefing every day. For a situation like Impeachment or repeated hearings, the networks should take turns like I believe they did during the Watergate hearings. CBS covers the hearing on Mon, Fox on Tue, ABC on Wed, etc. 

NBC had a special report although the network had coverage of the Olympics so what was the part to their SR?

Archived