KSHB rebrands, drops Action News

MidwestTV

KSHB has rebranded just before the Olympics. Gone is Action News, which they've had since 2003 in two iterations (NBC Action News and 41 Action News), and in is KSHB 41 News. They appear to have a new slogan too, dropping "clear, complete coverage" in favor of "Stories for everyone" (emphasis mine).

NEW https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/KSHB-TV_41_logo.png          OLD image.png.0d103f4831f88f2f2929017a1a8cfd05.png

The logo is definitely an improvement over the 2012 clunker. The blue colorization is a departure from the red accent they've had since 1999. Hopefully this will resolve a lot of the conflicting brand imaging they've had in recent years. On air they were 41 Action News, but in various promos they'd use only the 41 peacock logo while on social media they'd use the 41 sans peacock.

Here's a YouTube vid of a brief stinger with the new branding. It's the most animation and "depth" I've seen in the Scripps v3 look.

And a screencap showing the changes to the newsroom. It's the cleanest look I can recall KSHB ever having. KSHB is seemingly religious to painting its newsroom shot to match the colors of the graphics. In the V1 atomic orange days they painted their newsroom or put up printed elements in shades of burnt orange or red. Bizarrely, in the video of the screenshot, the logo alternates between the new look and the old for the Olympic version.

image.thumb.png.84be8a801a88b4a3cafad0be5aa37220.png

50 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

image.thumb.png.84be8a801a88b4a3cafad0be5aa37220.png

Jordan Betts (the reporter from KSHB seen above), for some reason, sort of resembles Alex Miller from Newsy (seen below). (Both KSHB & Newsy are owned by Scripps, incidentally!!) Despite Shutdown Compromise, Concerns Linger For Air Travel | National  Politics | wiscnews.com

Speaking of branding, I fear WPTV might be doing away with the "News Channel 5" branding, and renaming themselves as WPTV News. This Friday, the 23rd, they're debuting a new 7pm newscast called "WPTV News at 7pm". Not liking these generic names.

10 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

Speaking of branding, I fear WPTV might be doing away with the "News Channel 5" branding, and renaming themselves as WPTV News. This Friday, the 23rd, they're debuting a new 7pm newscast called "WPTV News at 7pm". Not liking these generic names.

Indeed-- I think WJZ in Baltimore (CBS O&O in Charm City) made a bad mistake when they became just WJZ News (dropping the Eyewitness part).

On 7/21/2021 at 9:41 AM, Breaking News said:

I hope they don't become ABC 28 News so boring and generic.  They should insert "28" next Action News. 

Honestly any station with a number higher than 11 should just identify by their call letters.

I know it’s stupid and shouldn’t mean anything… but stations with high numbers lose a little bit of credibility in my eye. I know that’s irrational and nonsensical.

26 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Honestly any station with a number higher than 11 should just identify by their call letters.

I know it’s stupid and shouldn’t mean anything… but stations with high numbers lose a little bit of credibility in my eye. I know that’s irrational and nonsensical.

I guess you’re seeing numbers higher than 11 don’t roll off the tongue as easily? I get that, but I’d say “Fox 29” has a nice ring to it.

I Hope they keep the News Channel 5 branding especially because the average viewer typically refers to local stations By their channel number, Or a popular branding name like Action or Eyewitness News

21 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

I guess you’re seeing numbers higher than 11 don’t roll off the tongue as easily? I get that, but I’d say “Fox 29” has a nice ring to it.

I Hope they keep the News Channel 5 branding especially because the average viewer typically refers to local stations By their channel number, Or a popular branding name like Action or Eyewitness News

I guess it’s just because I associate a station with a high number as being a *relatively* new station… 

they weren’t around when the low numbers were available 

13 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

What about legacy UHF Islands like Youngstown?

I'm mixed. I'm fine with high numbers, but people get their TV in different ways these days. So, what's "7" to me might still be "39" to someone down the street. Honestly, "Network Name DMA/region" would be OK with me in most areas (not "ABC North Central West Virginia").

One thing I'm still getting used to is branding as whatever the .1's number is, like CBS44/Fox44 Evansville. I really felt like the Fox ought to be Fox 44.2.

I'm surprised KSHB didn't get the new graphics until now and WXMI Fox17 debut the graphics in late Aug last year, which wouldn't the older Scripps TV stations get the graphics before the newer TV stations that Scripps got the past couple of years? I miss the Eyewitness brand WZZM for decades used Eyewitness news branding got rid of it around 2000 or 2001.  

On 7/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, iron_lion said:

I mean those VHF stations from 2-13 have been popular in so many markets.  I just can't imagine 12WKRC in Cincinnati or WSFA Channel 12 in Montgomery. As well WTHR & WVEC being on Channel 13.

People growing up in these markets before the current state of television always knew the Channel number & call letters.  I guess I'm so used to a station being called by the number.  Even when a station ie. WKLY doesn't even

use the "32" in their branding.  It annoys me, but one thing for sure is every market is different.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:46 AM, NEOMatrix said:

What about legacy UHF Islands like Youngstown?

Huntsville, Alabama as well on the UHF island as well too?

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 5:09 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

KSHB didn’t change everything to the new branding: its YouTube channel is still using the 41 Action News branding and the five-uploads-a-day headlines clips are still being titled “41 Action News Latest Headlines”.

Good catch. A month later their Youtube is still the same. Seems like a pretty big oversight by the digital team. Makes me wonder if those news headline uploads are some template that automatically publishes like that. Still, an oversight to not fix that.

Archived