2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

10 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

In the case of KTVK, place "ET" back into its longtime home of 6:30pm (until Meredith brass decided to mess with something that had been working for decades).

I would say Rachael Ray's talk show, which should have been axed in 2012. Also, has "Cheaters" produced any new episodes since its previous distributor passed away and the syndication rights were bought back by its creator?

Wikipedia says that Cheaters is still airing new episodes, although it could be on hiatus due to the pandemic.

2 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

OK, let's do some inventory here:

Shows ending: Ellen, Wendy, Nick, Judge Jerry, The Doctors, Good Dish, Daily Mail TV, Maury (living on in reruns), The Real (is it official?)

Starting this fall: Jennifer Hudson, Sherrie Shepherd (likely taking Wendy's old slots), Pictionary, American Housewife (the only offnet to be officially offered, AFAIK)

Anyone else think that's an imbalance? Are stations ready to run news at 3 or 4p to replace what's leaving?

P.S. I wish Katz had updated its NATPE preview ...

Is The Good Doctor still planning to go into offnet via SPT? It was supposed to go out this season along with SWAT, which did go out, but TGD never did, and nobody knows why. ABC just renewed it for a sixth season and it surpassed 65 first-run episodes in February 2021.

Also, I can still dream that one of these many voids will be filled with a Wheel of Fortune equivalent of Daytime Jeopardy!, right?.... Right? 😅

Drew being split into two half hours is interesting but sounds complicated. Non-O&O's will be able to double run them together, at least, but what if there's a market out there that carried one run of Drew on one station and then the second encore run on a sister station later in the day, like WCBS and WLNY used to do? It's going to be weird having to switch stations just to watch two parts of the same show, if there is continuity between them. It would also mean both runs have to be carried in a specific order; many stations that carry multiple runs of shows vary the order in which they air; I believe WTXF airs Judge Judy B then A, the opposite of what WCBS does.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

I would say Rachael Ray's talk show, which should have been axed in 2012. Also, has "Cheaters" produced any new episodes since its previous distributor passed away and the syndication rights were bought back by its creator?

I have no real issue with Rachael's show as it still has a base of good to mediocre stations, even if its in late night or early morning timeslots and they still put in effort into the show, and Cheaters...well, that's another evergreen format that can continue as long as low-tier cable networks and MyNet stations need filler content.

But, there is Celebrity Page, which you'd think would have been gone four years ago, but continues to air despite a fully lousy affiliate base and timeslots.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I have no real issue with Rachael's show as it still has a base of good to mediocre stations, even if its in late night or early morning timeslots and they still put in effort into the show, and Cheaters...well, that's another evergreen format that can continue as long as low-tier cable networks and MyNet stations need filler content.

But, there is Celebrity Page, which you'd think would have been gone four years ago, but continues to air despite a fully lousy affiliate base and timeslots.

Trifecta (the ones responsible for "Celebrity Page") is a "zombie syndicator." They distribute a lot of off-cable shows, but I scratch my head on how they're still in business. 

With the E/I rules loosened a little bit, there are other tiny companies (Telco Productions, do you read this?) who might be going extinct soon. Telco kind of uses a hybrid of the Byron Allen business model (just like Allen, their original productions are low budget) while still acquiring shows from Canada and elsewhere.

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Also, has "Cheaters" produced any new episodes since its previous distributor passed away and the syndication rights were bought back by its creator?

It’s still in production. Peter Pankey has since succeeded Clark Gable III as host ever since the latter’s passing a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s still in production. Peter Pankey has since succeeded Clark Gable III as host ever since the latter’s passing a few years ago.

Lol I was going to say, it is definitely still being produced, I still (sad to say) watch it every weekend on VH1! Lol this weekend, one episode, everyone was masked up (post 2020). 

2 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

I haven't seen anything official about either of these shows having been canceled. Could this have been an April Fool's joke?

While not official, also not just rumor (or an April Fools joke)-  ‘The Doctors’ future in doubt – Deadline

Is it that surprising that two bottom-of-the-barrel shows are likely on the chopping block? "The Doctors" has been waiting for someone to call "time of death" on it for years now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

While not official, also not just rumor (or an April Fools joke)-  ‘The Doctors’ future in doubt – Deadline

Is it that surprising that two bottom-of-the-barrel shows are likely on the chopping block? "The Doctors" has been waiting for someone to call "time of death" on it for years now.

Originally that article said likely to be cancelled. Dr. Phil just won’t let The Doctors die easily. 

6 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

That doesn't confirm anything. That daytime site is just referencing the Deadline article we've already been talking about, that suggests that cancelation is likely, but not yet confirmed.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

The original Deadline article on Friday stated as fact that The Doctors and Daily Mail TV had been cancelled. Their original reporting said that producers of both shows had been informed of the cancellation. Several hours later Deadline amended their report to say that one of the two was being cancelled and execs had yet to decide. That's why the story on Deadline carries the UPDATED slug. However, they should have added a paragraph at the bottom clarifying HOW they were changing the story. The first version claimed both were cancelled, the updated version says "it appears unlikely that at least one of two" shows will continue into the future. It is a big pivot to go from "fact" to "appears unlikely" and I personally don't think the UPDATED slug is a sufficient explanation of the change in reporting. Just add a correction paragraph at the bottom, be transparent with what happened, and then move on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

NOW DailyMailTV has been cancelled. Its run will officially wrap this summer.

Even now with one confirmed done, I’d be shocked if The Doctors continues. Presumably this is one situation where the pandemic actually helped, as I’m guessing production costs have plummeted with it being down to one host and no studio audience. However, no viewership isn’t exactly helping…

4 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

The original Deadline article on Friday stated as fact that The Doctors and Daily Mail TV had been cancelled. Their original reporting said that producers of both shows had been informed of the cancellation. Several hours later Deadline amended their report to say that one of the two was being cancelled and execs had yet to decide. That's why the story on Deadline carries the UPDATED slug. However, they should have added a paragraph at the bottom clarifying HOW they were changing the story. The first version claimed both were cancelled, the updated version says "it appears unlikely that at least one of two" shows will continue into the future. It is a big pivot to go from "fact" to "appears unlikely" and I personally don't think the UPDATED slug is a sufficient explanation of the change in reporting. Just add a correction paragraph at the bottom, be transparent with what happened, and then move on. 

That’s what I meant to say but I said likely cancelled by mistake.

DailyMailTV was better with Jesse as the host.  Thomas was good, but it just wasn't the same.

As for The Doctors, low ratings finally did then in.  Plus, several moments of bad press didn't help. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

TMZ, TMZ Live, TMZ Sports, and now this. What's next, TMZ Country?

Actually, considering that TMZ regularly features quite a bit of coverage of the hip-hop industry on its two main syndicated shows, a version dedicated to hip-hop news makes sense.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 4