2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

40 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

I saw Maury the host as a daytime TV icon on the level of Bob Barker, Barbara Walters, Pat & Vanna, Alex Trebek and Oprah Winfrey.

You left out Phil Donahue and SJR (Sally). BTW, one thing I liked about Maury Show was the most talked about couple in the history of his show. Joe and Shelley. That' cracked me up every time he comes on with is crocodile tears begging his wife to take him back after he cheated. 

• Like 1

Flipboard News cites the Soap Opera Network --- which cites Broadcasting & Cable --- stating that "The Drew Barrymore Show" will air in two half hour blocks beginning next season. If this is true it looks like the first step out the door for the sophmore show. I like Drew's friendly personality, but her talk show never clicked for me. Drew had too much hyper-enthusiasm that it felt unnatural and slightly irritating. 

On the positive side her show had a great set (that does't look cheap, especially in HD). Moreover it's 70s themed design was imppeacable, especially the Drew's news set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flipboard.com/@soapoperanetwrk/tv-news-fnfiu132z/report-the-drew-barrymore-show-to-air-in-half-hour-blocks-for-season-three/a-EN-I0uc_TU-UVHQHyKHg5g%3Aa%3A3382278662-e92c825d9a%2Fsoapoperanetwork.com%3Fformat%3Damp

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

If Nexstar signs on for Karamo show I think it will air on WXSP as I have heard Nexstar is the launch group. I'm guessing Maury will stay on CW7. WXMI Fox17 will keep Drew Barrymore as an hour in my opinion. I don't like those cheap shows that TV stations air The List that most Scripps TV stations air I have only watched it a couple of times total on Fox17, TEGNA DBL as well just never got into that show only watched that a handful of times. Finally The Dr. 9 lives is ending all CW7 will do is add another hour of JTV until The National Desk comes on at 6AM.

Edited by Megatron81

On 3/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, Glimmer said:

Jennifer Hudson’s a go for fall with the Fox O&Os and Hearst picking it up

If that show ends up on KRIV, and with two hours for them to fill with Sherri Shepherd likely filling Wendy Williams' slot and Nick Cannon now gone, what does this mean for KHOU at 3pm? If Kelly Clarkson does end up going to KPRC (in line with the inevitable NBC O&O sales pitch from Graham), could Dr. Phil wind up on KHOU? Also important to note Drew Barrymore's surprise renewal (and splinter into two halves) and the FACT that Rachael Ray and The Doctors have been virtually absent from Houston TV since KUBE went all-shopping. There's also plenty of room on KTXH as well, assuming that The Real's time slot isn't taken up by another NBCU serial repeat block. And that's another thing...I'm surprised MyNetworkTV is still a thing. It will be interesting to see how Tegna fills the critical 3pm slot before the 4pm news, just before they hand off the station to Cox.

13 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

If Nexstar signs on for Karamo show I think it will air on WXSP

That would mean WJZY or more likely WMYT in Charlotte. If the Real is cancelled it could replace that.

Edited by Nelson R.

14 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Because I never watched Donahue (I was two years old when it ended) and I barely remember hearing of Sally (I only saw bits of it to watch the news).

I do remember watching Donahue when I was in kindergarten (1992, which back then was in the afternoon only for me with others having it in the morning only) at 10am on KTRK and Sally at 9am on KHOU (before her timeslot went to Maury who moved from KPRC at the same timeslot). KTRK eventually raided Multimedia's syndication stable and picked up Sally in the afternoon (and Jerry Springer in the morning) along with Donahue (and possibly Rush Limbaugh who had been on KHOU in late night with Whoopi Goldberg and Entertainment Tonight in 1992-93 before David Letterman crossed over to CBS), also adding Geraldo which had been exiled to KTXH when KPRC had enough of him circa 1990. From what I recall, these programs were for the most part news-oriented to an extent before the eventual reliance on tabloid attention-grabbers and eventually the DNA/paternity/inbreeding rinse and repeat cycle became the du jour standard for talk shows not involving celebrities. The end of Maury and Jerry Springer is also significant, because the shows' stars were known for sending their guests to treatment facilities and prisons (not unlike what Dr. Phil has done with some of his guests), versus Steve Wilkos' tendency to call the cops on some of his worst guests.

No doubt that Karamo is likely going to fall along similar fault lines as Maury did, but with so much of the millennial and zoomer audience having shifted over to streaming, he probably will be lost in the wind compared to his predecessors. And he will likely stay on should he be lucky to avoid hashmarks in the ratings simply because the other options that aren't newscasts (old reruns, infomercials, deceptively scheduled E/I filler) aren't very appealing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, SS8609 said:

If that show ends up on KRIV, and with two hours for them to fill with Sherri Shepherd likely filling Wendy Williams' slot and Nick Cannon now gone, what does this mean for KHOU at 3pm? If Kelly Clarkson does end up going to KPRC (in line with the inevitable NBC O&O sales pitch from Graham), could Dr. Phil wind up on KHOU? Also important to note Drew Barrymore's surprise renewal (and splinter into two halves) and the FACT that Rachael Ray and The Doctors have been virtually absent from Houston TV since KUBE went all-shopping. There's also plenty of room on KTXH as well, assuming that The Real's time slot isn't taken up by another NBCU serial repeat block. And that's another thing...I'm surprised MyNetworkTV is still a thing. It will be interesting to see how Tegna fills the critical 3pm slot before the 4pm news, just before they hand off the station to Cox.

The most likely Ellen replacement on KHOU, pre-Cox at least, would seem to be Daily Blast Live. KHOU has been airing it overnights at 12:35a, as well as an hour each afternoon on sister station KTBU. KPRC will be interesting. They had a recent Houston Life job posting that said the show is eyeing an expansion. That would seem to make them unlikely to add any shows and presumably would mean Phil could get booted or be overnights only. KHOU, I guess, would be an option. KTBU should pick up at least some of what KUBE dumped. Rachael Ray on KTXH? I just don’t see it happening. 

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

From the NYPost, Dotdash Meredith is pulling the plug on PeopleTV. The program will air its final shows in April.

Cutting it in the middle of the TV season is … odd. What are stations supposed to do to fill the spot? More news in many cases, I’m guessing. Or double runs of a show they already have the rights to. 

We were so focused on Gray cutting it that DDM just saying 'we're done' wasn't even in the cards. And that WGCL has just been counting the days to launch a 7 p.m. show isn't much of a surprise at all; we'll be seeing a few 7/7:30 (6/6:30) newscasts launching in the ex-Meredith markets because it IS an election year.

15 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

We were so focused on Gray cutting it that DDM just saying 'we're done' wasn't even in the cards. And that WGCL has just been counting the days to launch a 7 p.m. show isn't much of a surprise at all; we'll be seeing a few 7/7:30 (6/6:30) newscasts launching in the ex-Meredith markets because it IS an election year.

I think WNHS Fox Carolina will slide the 6:30 BBT  run to 7:30 to expand The Six O’Clock News to an hour. And as for the 11:30pm run of People, maybe move up the 12:30am run of BBT up to 11:30pm and put the outgoing Judge Jerry at 12:30am, and put an extra run of Divorce Court in Judge Jerry’s time slot.

Yeah, Sony didn't have any takers for People TV which was just a Meredith's baby wasn't going to be added anywhere else and Gray would've canceled People TV. What Nexstar did with Hollywood Today Live after a few months buying Media General.

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere but the article also mentions that Drew Barrymore will be split into two half hour episodes and that a new 9 a.m. newscast will launch on the CBS O&O’s.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The Doctors and Daily Mail TV have been axed.

No more getting to mock The Doctors...what show will I use to be the zombie example of syndication now? 🥲

As for DMTV it was on borrowed time once WPIX got bought by Nexstar; they'll be happy to add newscasts when they had to get off their own set for it to tape.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

No more getting to mock The Doctors...what show will I use to be the zombie example of syndication now? 🥲

As for DMTV it was on borrowed time once WPIX got bought by Nexstar; they'll be happy to add newscasts when they had to get off their own set for it to tape.

Divorce Court? Steve Wilkos? Maybe Judge Mathis?

I liked DailyMail TV I watched from time to time when it was on WGN America/NewsNation when it was on at 2AM or Fox17. I wouldn't be surprised if WXMI Fox17 puts a double run of Dateline 2-hour block before the 4PM newscast. Or maybe try and get Tamron Hall take that away from CW7 which Sinclair owns.

Edited by Megatron81

On 3/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, Greggo said:

Cutting it in the middle of the TV season is … odd. What are stations supposed to do to fill the spot? More news in many cases, I’m guessing. Or double runs of a show they already have the rights to. 

In the case of KTVK, place "ET" back into its longtime home of 6:30pm (until Meredith brass decided to mess with something that had been working for decades).

On 4/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, mrschimpf said:

I would say Rachael Ray's talk show, which should have been axed in 2012. Also, has "Cheaters" produced any new episodes since its previous distributor passed away and the syndication rights were bought back by its creator?

Edited by TVIntheDesert

OK, let's do some inventory here:

Shows ending: Ellen, Wendy, Nick, Judge Jerry, The Doctors, Good Dish, Daily Mail TV, Maury (living on in reruns), The Real (is it official?)

Starting this fall: Jennifer Hudson, Sherrie Shepherd (likely taking Wendy's old slots), Pictionary, American Housewife (the only offnet to be officially offered, AFAIK)

Anyone else think that's an imbalance? Are stations ready to run news at 3 or 4p to replace what's leaving?

P.S. I wish Katz had updated its NATPE preview ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1