2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

41 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/pieces-falling-into-place-for-2022-23-tv-season

One big scoop buried in this piece:

Coming back for season three is CBS Media Ventures’s Drew Barrymore, averaging a 0.6 in households in its sophomore season. 

Next year, the show will be split into two half-hours, which stations can run back to back or separately. CBS-owned stations will pair Drew with local news in top markets and air the second half-hour on its duopoly stations, sources said.

Didn't they try this format for Face The Truth? It only lasted one year.....

On 3/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, CLETVFan said:

Maybe The Doctors will get a boost now that Dr. Oz is not on daytime anymore.

46 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/pieces-falling-into-place-for-2022-23-tv-season

One big scoop buried in this piece:

Coming back for season three is CBS Media Ventures’s Drew Barrymore, averaging a 0.6 in households in its sophomore season. 

Next year, the show will be split into two half-hours, which stations can run back to back or separately. CBS-owned stations will pair Drew with local news in top markets and air the second half-hour on its duopoly stations, sources said.

Also buried in that article is confirmation that The Doctors is likely not coming back, along with The Real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Nelson R. said:

Also buried in that article is confirmation that The Doctors is likely not coming back, along with The Real. 

Uhhhh. Let's Re-examine that part of that article.

Good bets for going away are CBS’s The Doctors, hosted by Dr. Andrew Ordon, and Warner Bros.’s The Real, hosted by Garcelle Beauvais, Adrienne Houghton, Loni Love and Jeannie Mai Jenkins. The Doctors has been stuck at a 0.2 in households for the past year, while The Real turns in around a 0.4.

Last time I've checked, "Good bets" does not mean confirmation. Those two shows have not officially been canned yet.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Uhhhh. Let. Re-examine that part of that article.

Last time I've checked, "Good bets" does not mean confirmation. Those two shows have not officially been canned yet.

I never said they were officially canned. Sorry to make you think that. 

They are probably not coming back. Is that better?

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Uhhhh. Let. Re-examine that part of that article.

They did say “likely” which can be used synonymously with “good bets”.

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

They did say “likely” which can be used synonymously with “good bets”.

The OP also used the word "confirmation", when the article in question did not make any confirmations. 

I know its not the OP's intent but you just can't throw the word "confirmation" out there, when nothing has been set in stone. You'll never hear confirmation that your favorite show will likely be renewed. You're gonna hear confirmation that your show will be renewed.

I stand by my previous post.

Going back to the topic at hand, The Doctors should've been gone a long time ago. Don't know why CBS still want to keep this abysmal show pedal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The OP also used the word "confirmation", when the article in question did not make any confirmations. 

I know its not the OP's intent but you just can't throw the word "confirmation" out there, when nothing has been set in stone. You'll never hear confirmation that your favorite show will likely be renewed. You're gonna hear confirmation that your show will be renewed.

I stand by my previous post.

Going back to the topic at hand, The Doctors should've been gone a long time ago. Don't know why CBS still want to keep this abysmal show pedal. 

I think the Doctors still exists because it's Dr. Phil's creation, and I'm sure he has a lot of say in what goes on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I think the Doctors still exists because it's Dr. Phil's creation, and I'm sure he has a lot of say in what goes on.

That show seems to survive whatever controversy and changes it has gone through.  The only original host left is Dr. Ordon, though I'm not counting that extremely brief stint Dr. Ian had as host.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

It also promotes Dr. Phil (and vice versa). Despite it being an also-ran, it must be pulling in enough money and respectable enough ratings to keep going if not for being "The Insider" to Dr. Phil's "Entertainment Tonight."

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Lauren Lake's Paternity Court does it too.

But who will fill in the "...he said no, the lie detector determined..." void?

And we mustn't forget how DNA Diagnostic Center would be affected, how much business and exposure goes away because of all the exposure on Maury?

I assume Karamo will do lie detectors as well. 

Wilkos uses DDC for DNA tests on his show, as well. They'll be fine.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I assume Karamo will do lie detectors as well. 

Wilkos uses DDC for DNA tests on his show, as well. They'll be fine.

I figured as much.

12 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

This all seems like the end of an era for TV syndication.

The consolidation of ownership in the past several syndication cycles seems like it's beginning to take its toll.  More newscasts and in-house efforts are beginning to push out the syndicated products.  Soon you'll have more markets like Cleveland where stations like WBNX have a dearth of shows for the reasons mentioned above.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m curious to see which current stations that air Maury stick with the rerun package vs. the new Karamo show. While the Lie Detector Spectacular may be going out of production, it doesn’t mean it’s going away… just look at the Springer rerun package. It outlasted Judge Jerry!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not gonna lie. I've spent a lot of hours in my childhood (even during school and sick days) watching Maury, and got more a kick out of the varieties of absurdity, frailties, and humanities from the thousands of guests (some repeat of course).

I stopped watching a few years ago, because of the repetitive and formulaic nature (just DNA and lie detector test result shows), the same audience reactions and obvious hypocritical sympathy for female guests and apathy for male guests (no matter what they've done) finally turned me away, but I will watch the last episodes with the fondest farewell.

I saw Maury the host as a daytime TV icon on the level of Bob Barker, Barbara Walters, Pat & Vanna, Alex Trebek and Oprah Winfrey. Because of it, I've always wanted to attend a taping since, and finally did so a few years ago; it was as awesome as I thought it would. Honestly, it was not only a perfect guilty pleasure of mine, but it was also unintentionally the ultimate PSA for kids and teenagers to never have sex early or cheat on your romantic partner. Of course, some never got the message, which helped the show thrive all these (three!) decades in the first place.

I'll totally miss it, for better or worse. It gave me a time to escape from whatever was going on in my life and watch as other people had their lives turned upside down by a piece of paper, some strangers watching it all as if it's a circus sideshow and the Ringmaster being as compassionate and sensitive (and secretly annoyed and amused) as possible. And it was all worth it.

Until next time, Maury.

• Like 9