2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

4 hours ago, patlovestv said:

CBS46 in Atlanta will not carry Dr. Oz's replacement from Sony, The Good Dish, opting instead for 3 p.m. local news (and Inside Edition). I wonder what kind of carriage The Good Dish will ultimately get, and how many other stations/groups might decline to pick it up.

Not surprised, most bigger Gray stations are doing 3 PM newscasts so they don't have to pay for syndication. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-12-18/what-is-a-bidding-war-cbs-and-nbc-are-chasing-jeopardy-for-their-tv-stations

Interesting LA Times piece about how the NBC and CBS O&Os are expected to make a play for the Jeopardy! and Wheel rights when they’re up after next season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glimmer said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-12-18/what-is-a-bidding-war-cbs-and-nbc-are-chasing-jeopardy-for-their-tv-stations

Interesting LA Times piece about how the NBC and CBS O&Os are expected to make a play for the Jeopardy! and Wheel rights when they’re up after next season.

Paywalled. Here's the free Yahoo! version: https://news.yahoo.com/bidding-war-cbs-nbc-could-140024162.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANUOyWS8FP7dIQrNS91Y5MxCj1tjEddWwXVdXUBZ4CgTWc2ST5a8XfIGM9GKb0vsPDV9jXdNguFAYJkqh2wxhQlc0I_GQTgAoiwGZgJAVlSw4ylEHEP30j8Jc896No2US4NBHNxRThJb7rUqhEG4cyPncWgqq1lfbORURAlCaw-f

I'm sure some of you remember that the Fox O&Os made a significant push for Wheel and J! last time those shows were up for renewal. It's really a testament to the format, and the genre as a whole, that there's such a desire for the shows even to this day.

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glimmer said:

Wouldn't that mean some surgery to the scheduling if CBS gets it? Are the 4:00 newscasts 30 minutes or an hour?

I think about WCCO- They've had Wheel at 6:30 forever, while KARE has had Jeopardy... Not sure where WCCO would fit Jeopardy if CBS O&O's won the rights (Ellen currently at 4:00)

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:57 PM, iron_lion said:

I've always wondered if big three affiliates deliberately steer away from shows like The Real, Divorce Court, and the more obvious Maury and Steve Wilkos. I was surprised to find out Maury used to be on WNBC back in the 90s and that Wendy Williams is on WPTV (NBC) in West Palm Beach.

Maury was on Wood TV in the early '90's moved to sister station WOTV in 93 or 94 and was on until 02 when it moved to WXSP in fall of 02 was on Lin TV for 20 years. Then Tribune took over in 2011 WXMI Fox17 until the fall of 2020 before moving to CW7.

1 hour ago, compubit said:

WCBS air WoF when it first hit syndication, but quickly moved to WABC (I have an ad for it on WCBS from 83) - can’t speak for other markets, but KPRC had J! from the start, before it moved to KHOU, then KTRK…

J

KTRK has never aired Wheel; they do air Jeopardy!, though…..

On 12/27/2021 at 6:02 AM, compubit said:

WCBS air WoF when it first hit syndication, but quickly moved to WABC (I have an ad for it on WCBS from 83) - can’t speak for other markets, but KPRC had J! from the start, before it moved to KHOU, then KTRK…

J

I wouldn't say "quickly" in the case of New York.

Nighttime "Wheel of Fortune" ran on WCBS-TV for seven years (1983-1990) before it moved over to WABC-TV. On the other hand, "Jeopardy!" aired on WNBC-TV for about three months in an overnight time slot (2 AM) before WABC-TV picked it up in December '84 to replace "The Edge of Night" at 4 PM. J! shifted into access two years later.

The only other legacy CBS O&O that ran either or both shows that I know of was KCBS-TV in Los Angeles, which picked up the duo from KCOP in the fall of 1989 and aired Wheel at 7 and J! at 7:30. The shows moved to KABC-TV in the fall of 1992.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

On 12/19/2021 at 3:19 PM, TheOneManHerd said:

Paywalled. Here's the free Yahoo! version: https://news.yahoo.com/bidding-war-cbs-nbc-could-140024162.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANUOyWS8FP7dIQrNS91Y5MxCj1tjEddWwXVdXUBZ4CgTWc2ST5a8XfIGM9GKb0vsPDV9jXdNguFAYJkqh2wxhQlc0I_GQTgAoiwGZgJAVlSw4ylEHEP30j8Jc896No2US4NBHNxRThJb7rUqhEG4cyPncWgqq1lfbORURAlCaw-f

I'm sure some of you remember that the Fox O&Os made a significant push for Wheel and J! last time those shows were up for renewal. It's really a testament to the format, and the genre as a whole, that there's such a desire for the shows even to this day.

Do you think they really care about Wheel at this point? The articles all seem to suggest that they're only interested in J!, and Wheel would simply come along with it by association. The ABC O&O's have been pre-empting Wheel a lot this season; WABC and WPVI aired some New Years Rockin Eve promo special in Wheel's slot but still aired J! at the normal time. I know J! has out-rated Wheel almost consistently for the past few years now, but are the frequent big-market pre-emptions like this a major factor?

Interesting article from B+C:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/all-eyes-on-fox-tv-stations-headed-into-2022

one particular highlight:

"Fox faces losing as many as five shows after this season: Debmar-Mercury’s Wendy Williams, Sony Pictures Television’s Dr. Oz, Debmar-Mercury’s Nick Cannon and Warner Bros.’ The Real. The group is also not bringing back rookie off-network sitcom Schitt’s Creek and it’s working on renewing freshman game show You Bet Your Life, starring Jay Leno."

this was written before but published after FOX First Run renewed YBYL + 25 Words, Dish Nation + Divorce Court but the article may be suggesting some sort of mass exodus in syndie market by the end of this season.

6 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

Interesting article from B+C:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/all-eyes-on-fox-tv-stations-headed-into-2022

one particular highlight:

"Fox faces losing as many as five shows after this season: Debmar-Mercury’s Wendy Williams, Sony Pictures Television’s Dr. Oz, Debmar-Mercury’s Nick Cannon and Warner Bros.’ The Real. The group is also not bringing back rookie off-network sitcom Schitt’s Creek and it’s working on renewing freshman game show You Bet Your Life, starring Jay Leno."

this was written before but published after FOX First Run renewed YBYL + 25 Words, Dish Nation + Divorce Court but the article may be suggesting some sort of mass exodus in syndie market by the end of this season.

WMYT cut back to one run of Schitt’s to make room for its run of Young Sheldon and I don’t think they are airing the episodes in order anymore. It is not needed in syndication since it is on Netflix and only has five seasons. FTS got that for WMYT before Nexstar bought the station.

Edited by Nelson R.

The Good Dish will be on WJZY. Its regular time will be 1pm, replacing TMZ Live. However it will premiere at 1am Monday night the 17th due to Fox MLK Day college  basketball. To fill the Dr. Oz void WMYT will have two runs of Relative Justice at 11 and 11:30am, a show it didn't even clear until this week, followed by two runs of Divorce Court at noon and 12:30. TMZ and Extra each slide back a half hour to 1 and 1:30 and Dateline moves back an hour to 2. TMZ Live will still air at 3 on WMYT but there was no need for two runs of the same episode on the stations, except when WJZY aired Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon in its TMZ Live time slot when they were airing TNF and the World Series that night.

Edited by Nelson R.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, CLETVFan said:

Here's the website for The Good Dish with a page on where the show will be seen on:

https://www.gooddishtv.com/how-to-watch

Charlotte is incorrect, I guess they just listed WMYT at 2 because that was Dr. Oz’s time slot, but as I stated above it will be at 1pm on WJZY.