2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

41 minutes ago, phillynewslover said:

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of Jeopardy!, but, still, Wheel shouldn't be preempted and have such strict rules. I don't see how it's good for CBS. 

I wish I had the power to change that. I would add a daytime version to pair with Daytime Jeopardy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of Jeopardy!, but, still, Wheel shouldn't be preempted and have such strict rules. I don't see how it's good for CBS. 

Not to bring out the tinfoil hat, but could it be because CBS MV doesn't want Wheel beating J! in ratings (which it did for over 30 years before that reversed)? I mean, I don't see why it should matter either way. They should be using both to compete with Family Feud, but it looks like they're more confident in J! doing so since Wheel is usually a somewhat distant third from them, often because of its constant pre-emptions, such as the ABC O&O's pre-empting it for the CMA Red Carpet every year now.

J!'s been through a lot this year, and it's remarkable that it hasn't suffered any ratings dips like Ellen did.

• Like 2

I think the reason they that CBSTVD/Sony is so strict about Wheel, when compared to Jeopardy is the fact that Wheel of Fortune started as a daytime show on NBC, and the original contracts were written to protect the versions from clashing with each other.

Although the Network version of Wheel of Fortune hasn't been on air for over 30 years, they most likely kept the language in the Wheel contract to limit the timeslots which it can be aired (either out of laziness, or the fact that because of essentially being limited to prime access is why the show skyrocketed in popularity), and is likely why the Saturday rerun slot was created for the show, to give affiliates the ability to air shows preempted earlier in the week.  

The current version of Jeopardy started out as a syndicated program, and since there wasn't a related network version on air, the distributors let affiliates show Jeopardy in any slot.

That, combined with the aforementioned returning champions, and the fact an repeat block was created for daytime, is why affiliates are able to air Jeopardy at any other time if preempted, and why 99% of the time Jeopardy is given higher priority over Wheel, even when Wheel has slightly better ratings. 

Edited by elfuego35
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, elfuego35 said:

I think the reason they that CBSTVD/Sony is so strict about Wheel, when compared to Jeopardy is the fact that Wheel of Fortune started as a daytime show on NBC, and the original contracts were written to protect the versions from clashing with each other.

Although the Network version of Wheel of Fortune hasn't been on air for over 30 years, they most likely kept the language in the Wheel contract to limit the timeslots which it can be aired (either out of laziness, or the fact that because of essentially being limited to prime access is why the show skyrocketed in popularity), and is likely why the Saturday rerun slot was created for the show, to give affiliates the ability to air shows preempted earlier in the week.  

The current version of Jeopardy started out as a syndicated program, and since there wasn't a related network version on air, the distributors let affiliates show Jeopardy in any slot.

That, combined with the aforementioned returning champions, and the fact an repeat block was created for daytime, is why affiliates are able to air Jeopardy at any other time if preempted, and why 99% of the time Jeopardy is given higher priority over Wheel, even when Wheel has slightly better ratings. 

I think this explains to me why KTRK in Houston (the only ABC O&O not airing the show) may not be getting the syndicated "Wheel" anytime soon.

2 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

I think this explains to me why KTRK in Houston (the only ABC O&O not airing the show) may not be getting the syndicated "Wheel" anytime soon.

Wheel may not even be on KHOU next depending on what happens to the station regardless of whether or not they report to Soo Kim or Byron Allen next fall. It's also important to note that KTRK's 6:30 p.m. newscast was a byproduct of a bygone era in Houston TV when it dominated the airwaves with Dave Ward, Marvin Zindler, Ed Brandon and Bob Allen. Now all of them sans Ward have gone up to the newsroom in the sky, and other stations have taken the #1 crown from them many times over since the 90s.

And Wheel (along with KTRK airing Jeopardy! at 11:30 a.m., thinking this is 1974 all over again) isn't even remotely the only CMV property with issues in Houston. When KUBE's owner dropped the ball on everyone and decided to program home shopping 24/7, a lot of the lower-hanging fruit in CMV's portfolio became collateral damage. Drew Barrymore is now airing at 2 a.m. followed by Daily Mail TV (which got bumped due to KIAH picking up Young Sheldon reruns), while The DoctorsHot Bench and Rachael Ray appear to have disappeared from Houston airwaves along with reruns of Seinfeld and first-runs Right This Minute and Access Daily. While it is safe to say most of these shows will likely disappear from the air next fall given their ratings, some do wonder if these shows' struggles can be easily resolved by filling whatever holes exist in a key market where a noncommittal owner (Richard French) left syndicators holding the bag. Or if you have to go to court like CMV's predecessor did dealing with past delinquent hosts like Equity and Roberts circa the Great Recession.

What is going to be interesting is who will replace Ellen on KHOU at 3 p.m. between Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson and perhaps even Dr. Phil as a lead-in to their 4 p.m. news.

5 hours ago, SS8609 said:
8 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Wheel may not even be on KHOU next depending on what happens to the station regardless of whether or not they report to Soo Kim or Byron Allen next fall

That would also affect WCNC and WFMY…can’t see WSOC giving up Entertainment Tonight, and can’t see Gray paying for it for WBTV…so I guess it would go to WJZY in Charlotte. Maybe it ends up on WXLV or WGHP in the Triad…

Edited by Nelson R.

7 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That would also affect WCNC and WFMY…can’t see WSOC giving up Entertainment Tonight, and can’t see Gray paying for it for WBTV…so I guess it would go to WJZY in Charlotte. Maybe it ends up on WXLV or WGHP in the Triad…

Could somebody explain this to me because I don't understand how a potential ownership change would impact KHOU, WCNC, WFMY or any other Tegna station that airs Wheel and Jeopardy. Seems like random conjecture to me but perhaps I've missed a story somewhere.

Just now, carolinanews4 said:

Could somebody explain this to me because I don't understand how a potential ownership change would impact KHOU, WCNC, WFMY or any other Tegna station that airs Wheel and Jeopardy. Seems like random conjecture to me but perhaps I've missed a story somewhere.

I don’t understand it either. Maybe it’s just a Houston thing because KHOU only airs Jeopardy. 

3 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

In the past, station groups like Scripps have experimented with internally-originated programs or news before primetime rather than syndicated product to save money from those carriage contracts...only to soon realize the shows paid for a lot on the station through their higher-priced ad slots on those shows than the national-local or 100% local split they get from lower-rated programming. Most of their stations are non-entities before primetime with positive news shows, plain extensions, or Access.

The thought is Allen or activist shareholders would force them to dump WoF or Jeopardy. Which after looking at Scripps, is highly doubtful. Byron Allen is in the business and 100% knows the value of syndicated programming, and there has to be one top 4 station in the market airing the show. Even if CBSMV has to ease up the fee, they'd rather either show be on a top 4 rather than burning off all its lead-in outside -28s on KIAH, and even if a new GM of KHOU would want to cut it off, the ad department would 100% campaign to keep the schedule as-is, with WoF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

In the past, station groups like Scripps have experimented with internally-originated programs or news before primetime rather than syndicated product to save money from those carriage contracts...only to soon realize the shows paid for a lot on the station through their higher-priced ad slots on those shows than the national-local or 100% local split they get from lower-rated programming. Most of their stations are non-entities before primetime with positive news shows, plain extensions, or Access.

The thought is Allen or activist shareholders would force them to dump WoF or Jeopardy. Which after looking at Scripps, is highly doubtful. Byron Allen is in the business and 100% knows the value of syndicated programming, and there has to be one top 4 station in the market airing the show. Even if CBSMV has to ease up the fee, they'd rather either show be on a top 4 rather than burning off all its lead-in outside -28s on KIAH, and even if a new GM of KHOU would want to cut it off, the ad department would 100% campaign to keep the schedule as-is, with WoF.

I'm referring to the possibility that if KHOU ends up with new owners, that could be carte blanche for KTRK to go after Wheel of Fortune and dump the 6:30 half of its hourlong news. That's what I forgot to mention, especially if CMV begins to demand full carriage on all of ABC's O&Os. I do recall Fox almost made a play to acquire Merv Griffin's two game shows for its O&Os; if not for CMV's desire for "stability" with the game shows, they would have been gone to its O&Os even though that wouldn't have been likely because of Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition.

5 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

I do recall Fox almost made a play to acquire Merv Griffin's two game shows for its O&Os; if not for CMV's desire for "stability" with the game shows, they would have been gone to its O&Os

That and there would have been a lot of preemptions of Wheel in October due to the World Series, and also all fall due to Thursday Night Football. The World Series would still be an issue but at least now TNF will be on Amazon. Most markets there would be a sister station to move it to though.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That and there would have been a lot of preemptions of Wheel in October due to the World Series, and also all fall due to Thursday Night Football. The World Series would still be an issue but at least now TNF will be on Amazon. Most markets there would be a sister station to move it to though.

In the meantime, Fox now owns TMZ, so they have their prime access locked in for the O&Os (along with the Extra deal with Warner) for at least a few years. That rules them out for the next Sony cycle.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, mrschimpf said:

Yeah, new owners keep what the former owners have in Syndie it took about a year to get Right This Minute on WXMI Fox17 in fall 2020 from WXSP where it aired from Jan 2017 to Sep 2020 was on WOTV for one hot minute in fall of 2016 when MG was still owner. Nexstar made some programing moves in Jan 2017. I was kinda surprised that Scripps didn't find room for The List until Jan of 2021 when it was aired on the weekends until this fall did get a daily spot M-F.

If Byron Allen does buy TEGNA WZZM he can't place all his shows on lineup as he doesn't have enough time slots to fill his lower court shows will remain on WXSP & CW7. He could put Highway Thru Hell on since that wasn't cleared in West Michigan in late night 1AM as that is ET repeat and then a repeat of 11PM News at 1:30AM. 

Starting today, WIVB in Buffalo is debuting an hour-long 7:00 PM newscast on its sister station WNLO CW 23 (weekdays only). This replaces Inside Edition and TMZ, which have moved up an hour to 6:00 and 6:30.

WIVB frequently pre-empts Wheel for weekday editions of Buffalo Kickoff Live, especially on or before days where the Bills play, and they always move it to WNLO when this is the case. It used to replace Inside Edition. Now that there's news at 7:00, I doubt pre-empted Wheels air on WNLO at 7:00 from this point. My guess is either they will now air overnight on WIVB, or, if CBS MV doesn't freak out at them for airing Wheel pre-7:00, air it on WNLO at 6:00 or 6:30.

1 hour ago, phillynewslover said:

I don't think stations in Pennsylvania will carry him anymore, at the very least (if he ends up winning).

The blackout would also affect border states and markets, so New York, Baltimore, Buffalo, Youngstown, Charleston, Wheeling-Steubenville, Binghamton, Elmira will also be affected if Sony decided to just blackout the state rather than put the show on hiatus, which is now pointless since it's not 1995 and his website, YouTube and OWN (which carries his reruns) exist. Suffice to say, he's handed Sony a major headache to deal with.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The blackout would also affect border states and markets, so New York, Baltimore, Buffalo, Youngstown, Charleston, Wheeling-Steubenville, Binghamton, Elmira will also be affected if Sony decided to just blackout the state rather than put the show on hiatus, which is now pointless since it's not 1995 and his website, YouTube and OWN (which carries his reruns) exist. Suffice to say, he's handed Sony a major headache to deal with.

You left out Washington DC (Fulton County is part of that market). Also, I don't think Charleston WV would be affected.

5 minutes ago, patlovestv said:

What used to be the show's website now appears to be fully promoting the campaign, which seems...not ideal for station partners:

https://doctoroz.com/

Nor his viewers, who probably are like 'WTF is this political information?! I just wanted health tips?!'

0/100 for logo originality; shift the colors, 'U.S. Senate for Show'...he basically used Sony's art department to create his campaign image! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

In Cleveland, Dr. Oz is seen on WJW.  Could that station plug in another syndicated show or simply add another newscast?

I think they could move The Real to 11am and put another double run of Judge Judy in the afternoon.

Edited by Nelson R.