2021-22 Syndicated News

CLETVFan

3 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

NY people, any particular reason why WWOR My 9 is pre-empting MNTV primetime Dateline for an encore of last night's Masked Singer at 8 and the premiere of The Big Leap at 9 (which is also airing at 8 on FOX)? They weren't pre-empted last night.

Proof:

0tz0gN0l.png

The show did not have the FOX bug, either. Although aside from the brief WWOR ID at the top of the show, the usual "my9" bug in the bottom-right never appeared, either.

3 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

NY people, any particular reason why WWOR My 9 is pre-empting MNTV primetime Dateline for an encore of last night's Masked Singer at 8 and the premiere of The Big Leap at 9 (which is also airing at 8 on FOX)? They weren't pre-empted last night.

Same is happening in Houston, TX, on KTXH My20Vision at Midnight and 1am, proven by a promo I saw today.

8 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Same is happening in Houston, TX, on KTXH My20Vision at Midnight and 1am, proven by a promo I saw today.

In that case, has to be to get a 'big number' for The Big Leap. Even though "La Brea" seems to be the bona-fide 'winner' of the always-shaky 'America's #1 Rated New Show' title in the first week of the season (and as usual it has Nickelback 'someone actually likes this?' Syndrome), Fox seems to want to add some spare viewers to the pilot cumulative number for The Big Leap. It helps that nobody no longer cares about fast nationals and more about the 1 week/3 week/month cume as a true mark of success.

From Page Six Nick Cannon maybe taking Wendy Williams timeslot if she can't come back they also stated in the article since both are syndicated and not on same TV station group that could cause problems. Since Wendy has always been on WOTV since day 1 in July of 09 It's on a Nexstar TV station Nick Cannon is on CW7 Sinclair owns that which that is a no go in West Michigan. I think what Nexstar could do is pick up Steve Wilkos if Wendy Williams doesn't comeback since Steve Wilkos isn't cleared in West Michigan anymore.

4 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

From Page Six Nick Cannon maybe taking Wendy Williams timeslot if she can't come back they also stated in the article since both are syndicated and not on same TV station group that could cause problems. Since Wendy has always been on WOTV since day 1 in July of 09 It's on a Nexstar TV station Nick Cannon is on CW7 Sinclair owns that which that is a no go in West Michigan. I think what Nexstar could do is pick up Steve Wilkos if Wendy Williams doesn't comeback since Steve Wilkos isn't cleared in West Michigan anymore.

In Charlotte Wendy Williams is on WSOC at 10am and WAXN at 6am. Nick Cannon is on at 6pm on WCCB. That would definitely be an upgrade in Charlotte. If WCCB had to replace Nick Cannon I’d like to see them pick up Last Man Standing. No Charlotte station has cleared it and its one of the highest rated sitcoms in syndication.

Nick could replace The Doctors on WAXN, the Doctors could move to WMYT to replace TMZ Live which is totally unnecessary because WJZY also airs it. (Except for when WJZY preempts it for BBT and now Young Sheldon when sports is going to air in the 7pm hour (pregame shows or MLB baseball)). But it could air in late night.

Edited by Nelson R.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, WheelWarrior said:

Question for those in the industry... are syndies sent as one big file of the full episode, or is each segment its own file? A friend of mine was watching Wheel tonight and texted me asking if my airing was "messed up" like his. He said his affiliate accidentally skipped Round 3, then aired Round 4 twice in a row. If the files are individual segments, I could see that being an easy mistake to make. I do know that Wheel has issued SD episode masters on DVD's for contestants who request them, and there are about two minutes of silent black screens where the commercial breaks would be.

The incompetence of WTNH in Hartford/New Haven, CT pretty much answered this. It's likely one big file.

Last Friday, WTNH not only began airing the wrong episode of Wheel of Fortune, but they timed the commercial breaks incorrectly and kept cutting off the show in the middle of rounds, and leaving the actual commercial breaks as blank screens. Then halfway through the show, it kept switching back and forth between the wrong episode and the right one. What the heck was going on in the master control room that night?

https://streamable.com/zqytp6 

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

The incompetence of WTNH in Hartford/New Haven, CT pretty much answered this. It's likely one big file.

Last Friday, WTNH not only began airing the wrong episode of Wheel of Fortune, but they timed the commercial breaks incorrectly and kept cutting off the show in the middle of rounds, and leaving the actual commercial breaks as blank screens. Then halfway through the show, it kept switching back and forth between the wrong episode and the right one. What the heck was going on in the master control room that night?

https://streamable.com/zqytp6 

That would be the regional MC hub at WWLP in Chicopee, MA's fault. I'm going to assume that someone mis-programmed the show for multiple stations, not just TNH.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:42 AM, Megatron81 said:

https://pagesix.com/2021/10/01/nick-cannon-may-take-over-wendy-williams-time-slot/

On 10/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, Nelson R. said:

It really seems like Debmar-Mercury is pushing for Nick to be a hit.  I would not be surprised if he does end up replacing Wendy and her slots.  I don't see Wendy coming back soon, but you never know.  If Nick makes the move, could there be another show (other than Family Feud) that would serve as a replacement or two?

Oh, speaking of Nick, how is he doing in the ratings?

14 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

It really seems like Debmar-Mercury is pushing for Nick to be a hit.  I would not be surprised if he does end up replacing Wendy and her slots.  I don't see Wendy coming back soon, but you never know.  If Nick makes the move, could there be another show (other than Family Feud) that would serve as a replacement or two?

Oh, speaking of Nick, how is he doing in the ratings?

According to the Katz spreadsheet, Schitts Creek is the only other weekday syndicated strip produced by Debmar-Mercury. A lot of Fox O&O’s and their duopoly partners already have both Nick and Schitts even though some stations like WMYT have cut Schitts down to one episode per weekday. That might work.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:42 AM, Megatron81 said:

From Page Six Nick Cannon maybe taking Wendy Williams timeslot if she can't come back they also stated in the article since both are syndicated and not on same TV station group that could cause problems.

Yikes! It has been season after season of unfortunate events for Wendy since she fainted on Halloween.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, Nelson R. said:

This Page Six story sounds like nothing more than guessing from "sources". (Much of Page Six is a lot of uneducated guessing) Contractually what they are suggesting would be extremely difficult - if not impossible - to pull off this fall. Yes, Wendy and Nick are produced by the same company but they are separate shows with separate advertising and station contracts. Let's use a different example, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! are both produced by Sony. If one was to suddenly go off the air, they couldn't just offer up the other as a replacement. Wheel and Jeopardy are separate shows as are Wendy and NIck.  Plus there is the fact that there are two separate productions crews these shows employ.

IF Wendy does not return, the more likely scenario would be that Debmar-Mercury would use guest hosts to fill out the rest of the season. This would fulfil their commitment. In fact, considering they are contractually obligated to deliver stations a set number of weeks of first-run programming to their affiliates, they may have to utilize guests hosts until Wendy is able to return. 

• Like 6

On 10/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, qunewsguy said:

That would be the regional MC hub at WWLP in Chicopee, MA's fault. I'm going to assume that someone mis-programmed the show for multiple stations, not just TNH.

Talk about a mess!! 😟

This week began FOX's weekly screwing with prime access, fortunately for the last season. On Thursdays until TNF on FOX is done, WNYW moves You Bet Your Life up to 6:30 replacing one run of TMZ (they did the same last season when TMZ was at 7:30).

WLUK in Green Bay does what they've always done: 5 PM newscast is shortened from 60 minutes to 30, allowing Wheel of Fortune to air an hour early at 5:30 PM Central, the only pre-access hour airing anywhere in the US on a semi-regular basis (not counting all the random time slots WOF Weekend gets moved to during college football).

Of course, FOX will presumably still pre-empt 7:30 ET for World Series pregame and the WWE SmackDown season premiere preshows (the latter of which is optional; many non-O&O's bump this to sisters or subs). To think FOX wanted Wheel/J! on the O&O's.

Edited by WheelWarrior
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

This week began FOX's weekly screwing with prime access, fortunately for the last season. On Thursdays until TNF on FOX is done, WNYW moves You Bet Your Life up to 6:30 replacing one run of TMZ (they did the same last season when TMZ was at 7:30).

WLUK in Green Bay does what they've always done: 5 PM newscast is shortened from 60 minutes to 30, allowing Wheel of Fortune to air an hour early at 5:30 PM Central, the only pre-access hour airing anywhere in the US on a semi-regular basis (not counting all the random time slots WOF Weekend gets moved to during college football).

Of course, FOX will presumably still pre-empt 7:30 ET for World Series pregame and the WWE SmackDown season premiere preshows (the latter of which is optional; many non-O&O's bump this to sisters or subs). To think FOX wanted Wheel/J! on the O&O's.

WJZY will be moving  up Young Sheldon and Big Bang Theory to 1 and 1:30 in TMZ Live’s spot. (Except reversing the two shows). In the past they have done the same thing with TMZ in place of YS at 2:30. (BBT at 2). Which actually sort of justifies the extra run of TMZ Live on WMYT at 3 (though WJZY could air it in late night). WJZY did air BBT at 1 despite the guide saying TMZ Live. I recorded to get YS. However instead of airing YS they joined TMZ Live in progress at 1:30! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Oh and according to zap2it, because of TNF WJZY and WMYT both aired the same episode of TMZ at 1am Friday morning because of TNF. 🤦🏼‍♂️ The second runs of YBYL and 25WOL didn’t air.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2

Update on programming changes in Chicago: The third season of N' Digo Studio will now air on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. on WMAQ replacing Infomercials beginning next Sunday. Last week, the revival of America's Black Forum began airing also on WMAQ and it airs at 4:30 am leading to the morning newscast every Saturday. 

Wendy Williams is back on next Monday...but with guest hosts as she continues to recover.

Sadly, there gets to be a point where for her affiliates, DebMerc better just name a permanent guest host or give the time back. Guest hosts rotating in and out has only made the repeats they have age worse than most.

• Like 1