WADL snags MyNetworkTV from WMYD

CircleSeven

Well this is not an "earth-shattering" switch by any means. 

B&C announced tonight that Adell Broadcastinng's Independent WADL 38 will take over Detroit's MyNetworkTV affiliation from Scripps-owned WMYD 20.

This will go in effect on September 20.

I'm sure WMYD (or whatever new calls they get) will be just fine; they'll just expand the newscasts from 7 Action News through primetime, and this will likely show if other non-subchannel combos Scripps has will take the same direction. You assume WADL finally broke down and got an affiliation because WDIV now really has no ability to pre-empt NBC programming and move it to another station.

MyNetworkTV is pretty much a brand for independent tv stations with rerun block in primetime.  Scripps probably let them walk so they may have bigger plans for WMYD to expand their news output, powered by WXYZ and Newsy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Scripps let their CW/MyNetwork affiliations lapse in favor of news-heavy independence by their news-producing counterparts.  Same goes for any duopoly opportunities they have in existing markets, whether or not they sold an Ion station or two to Inyo.

19 hours ago, Glimmer said:

This strikes me less as WADL making a steal and more Scripps not renewing MNT

I wouldn't blame them one bit for that. It's not like MyTV was moving the needle in order for them to pay for the service. Thus frees up a bit of cash and they could easily shift one of their diginets on there to replace MyTV

Or air what WXYZ aired early in the day in primetime on TV20 just my opinion. I wonder if Scripps will say what they will be doing with TV20 closer to the Fall? Maybe NEWSY takes over TV20 just have to wait and see not that I care since I don't live in the Detroit market.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never thought the two hour primetime rerun block was worth branding a whole station with the "My" designation.   Some of the stations now delay the two hour block to later at night.  I've never watched their programming. 

1 hour ago, johnothy said:

I've never thought the two hour primetime rerun block was worth branding a whole station with the "My" designation.   Some of the stations now delay the two hour block to later at night.  I've never watched their programming. 

It's been a long while. Smackdown was still around the last time I watched....

WXSP has always been branded The X with Mynet colors since 2006 launch. When Nexstar did a preview of News Nation they would put an hour of My Net shows at 2AM or when they aired Griffin's games in the winter as well since the fans couldn't be in the stands or not many they aired more Griffin games this year than they have since WXSP signed on the air in the fall of 99. Only time they ever really aired Griffin games was when they were in the championship game otherwise they don't air Griffin hockey all that much as they want fans in the stands.

Archived