WPTV new set

Requiere

So last Monday anchor Kelly Dunn posted in her Facebook page the news of WPTV getting a new set sometime during the next six weeks. This would be the second time that Studio A would be receiving a new set since the building opened in 2001.

This is the first set that was built in 2001 before it was renovated in 2012. 

image.thumb.png.7498dcf4813c77c1cc9978c811eee83c.png

The new set debuted with after the opening ceremony of the summer olympics alongside the new scripps graphics.

image.png.e7ef99626b2e63b34f741b81fd748b5e.png

In 2018 they updated the set by adding a 5x3 and a 3x3 video wall.

image.thumb.png.655d764d4527f317ee8341261236b273.png

What I found ironic is that in 2012, WTVJ NBC 6, also upgraded their news set in time for the summer olympics along with new graphics. This time around WPTV and WTVJ will both upgrade their sets around the olympics, albeit WTVJ will probably update their graphics to look S while WPTV will keep the standard Scripps package.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty quick turnaround, so either they're working fast or it's only a minor refresh. I wonder if they'll make the desk smaller and give weather some more space. I'm not sure how large that area is. The printed graphics at the top always seemed like an after thought. Hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since the 2012 relaunch.

So it seems as though they are debuting a 7PM newscast the night of the Olympics Opening Ceremony. Don't know if that is when the set will be introduced.

WTVJ will show the Olympic Zone during that half hour.

• 2 weeks later...

The new set debuted yesterday.  Looks like another Devlin design.  I was hoping they would incorporate the newsroom, or maybe do a trascluent wall to peek into it. I thought they had one of the more "television friendly" news rooms. Oh well.

https://news.yahoo.com/michael-williams-kelley-dunn-unveil-222342129.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

The illuminated circle 5 logo is the best part of this new look.

I don't know why WEWS-TV 5 got rid of their version of this circle 5 logo (it originated with WEWS, but it was "adopted" by WPTV).

I think they would've gotten a set similar to this, but with an ABC dot, if they kept theirs...

21 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ew. Rough. Looks like a combination of the KNVX/KMGH set and the Hearst standard set.

I  disagree. Compared to what they had for the past decade it's a massive upgrade. It's a clean, fresh, cool look. Could they have included more scenic elements like palm tree silhouettes in those big blue walls? Sure, it would have added some flavor to it, and more accent colors would make things 'pop' a bit more, but it isn't an awful look. What I like the lease is the big tile. I think it works for WPB.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, CSRep said:

Looks like another Devlin design.

The wavy patterns on those blue walls is probably a giveaway.

---

I wonder if this is the start of another wave of Scripps studio upgrades.

5 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

I  disagree. Compared to what they had for the past decade it's a massive upgrade. It's a clean, fresh, cool look. Could they have included more scenic elements like palm tree silhouettes in those big blue walls? Sure, it would have added some flavor to it, and more accent colors would make things 'pop' a bit more, but it isn't an awful look. What I like the lease is the big tile. I think it works for WPB.

The wavy patterns on those blue walls is probably a giveaway.

---

I wonder if this is the start of another wave of Scripps studio upgrades.

I'm not comparing this set to what they previously had. I'm comparing this Devlin set to other Devlin sets and saying that's it's not creatively differentiated. There are few set elements and no localized branding. This set could be in any market.

I don't care if you think it's an upgrade. It is, but it's not a unique or localized look. It's a corporate sanitized look and boring because of that.

1) local station probably didn’t went to spend money on a custom design - nor did they have the time 

2) it literally matters to absolutely no one outside of this website if a set looks similar to one in a different market

4 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I don't care if you think it's an upgrade. It is, but it's not a unique or localized look. It's a corporate sanitized look and boring because of that.

Dang. A little snippy.

8 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

MidWestern TV completely ignored my points because of their feelings. I wasn't discussing personal feelings.

What? I disagreed with your perspective and shared why I thought it's a fine look. It's called having a difference of opinion and explaining why I thought otherwise. I even agreed with you that it could benefit from a couple of localized elements.

10 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

What? I disagreed with your perspective and shared why I thought it's a fine look. It's called having a difference of opinion and explaining why I thought otherwise. I even agreed with you that it could benefit from a couple of localized elements.

I wasn't speaking to your opinion. When I said rough, yes, that's a difference of opinion. I agree that it's an upgrade. No argument.

What you disagreed with was when I said "Looks like a combination of the KNVX/KMGH set and the Hearst standard set." That's a fact. No opinion. Nothing to disagree with here on this point.

Archived