Don't WPLG/WSVN share a Helicopter?

kmetz

Good Morning All, 

(Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this) 

This morning Miami sadly had a major building collapse. I noticed that CNN credited WSVN for the helicopter feed. Don't WSVN and WPLG share a chopper? Just curious.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

To be honest, I don't blame WPLG for bypassing GMA for non-stop coverage.

Do they have a legal obligation to keep broadcasting? I know they usually do during severe weather. 

1 minute ago, WCX-TV said:

WTVJ has had continuing coverage since 4:30a as well, no stop commercial free. Never switched over to the Today show at all this morning.

Commercial free is a surprise. Need to cover those broadcast costs somehow. 

Yeah they're still going on WSVN and WTVJ as of around 7pm ET. Haven't checked Local 10 and CBS 4 yet but I know that as of around 1pm ET the major 4 stations had non stop continuous coverage. Somewhat surprisingly the coverage wasn't that extreme in the very nearby West Palm Beach market which some of the Miami stations signals carry over into.

So I checked WPLG. It seems ABC programming is being shown on 10.2 MeTV. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Somewhat surprisingly the coverage wasn't that extreme in the very nearby West Palm Beach market which some of the Miami stations signals carry over into

I live in West Palm Beach and most of the coverage for WPTV that I have seen has been through Michael Williams, a former WTVJ and WFOR reporter.

I wonder if they will continue coverage overnight like they do during hurricane coverage? Not really the same but I'm curious if they'll continue with nonstop coverage... and for how long.

I'm surprised the cell towers are holding up so well. Congestion  of LTE networks must be pretty heavy. They always have Microwave/satellite trucks to fall back on though I assume? As an IT guy I'm wondering, what is the typical speed of a microwave truck connection? I assume each package is 100-200MB at least? 

1 hour ago, kmetz said:

I'm surprised the cell towers are holding up so well. Congestion  of LTE networks must be pretty heavy. They always have Microwave/satellite trucks to fall back on though I assume? As an IT guy I'm wondering, what is the typical speed of a microwave truck connection? I assume each package is 100-200MB at least? 

Microwave/sat is still a linear feed even with digital editing.

LiveU is blended cellular that uses spectrum from multiple providers' networks so heavy traffic can cause bandwidth issues.  If it's a sparse area with limited cell coverage, something like a packed high school football game with everyone on their phones can eat up good signal causing a bad picture.

Archived