NBC O&O Graphics - 2021 Look S

NBC 5 Chicago

KASA-TV Albuquerque, NM, recently acquired by Telemundo debuted Look S, although without animation, as the station's newscast are being produced by NBC affiliate KOB while Telemundo builds a new base and team proper. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A minor update to Look S on WMAQ - there is now a blue/red background behind the bug that is attached to the lower third graphic, similar to the blue/red bug background previously on Look N. The bug's background will turn to transparent when the lower third is removed, similar to Look N. This may be rolled out to other O&O stations in the future...

image.thumb.png.006c046f78513e8c493f35bb21a83d2e.png

I'm curious how feasible it would be to have the bug's logo also be present on the lower third as a pixel-perfect match to the on-air bug, so that should the on-air bug not be present, the lower third would still have the logo there.

Edited by Spring Rubber

4 hours ago, ref1997 said:

A minor update to Look S on WMAQ - there is now a blue/red background behind the bug that is attached to the lower third graphic, similar to the blue/red bug background previously on Look N. The bug's background will turn to transparent when the lower third is removed, similar to Look N. This may be rolled out to other O&O stations in the future...

image.thumb.png.006c046f78513e8c493f35bb21a83d2e.png

Could this be rolled out to the affiliates as well? 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 11:27 AM, TheSpeedKing said:

WNBC and WRC-TV do not have it yet. As a matter of fact, WRC-TV still has Look N monitors from their at-home "studios".

WNBC has switched to the blue background on the bug as of today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Requiere said:

WTVJ got it recently and today WSCV, the Telemundo station rolled out the blue background as well. Any other Telemundo stations with the update?

Telemundo 47 New York also switched with WNBC, which is no surprise.   It is only blue when the lower thirds are present, otherwise it stays "transparent."  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Telemundo 47 New York also switched with WNBC, which is no surprise.   It is only blue when the lower thirds are present, otherwise it stays "transparent."  

That's how it is for everyone else. No one said the blue or red was constant.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the Olympics over, I've noticed the NBC O&O stations are back to using their "regular" logos during local news broadcasts.  This marks the first time that the regular logos are used with the "Look S" graphics - I believe these stations went the entire 2021 calendar year using the "Olympic" versions of their station logos.  Has that ever happened before?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kdex86 said:

With the Olympics over, I've noticed the NBC O&O stations are back to using their "regular" logos during local news broadcasts.  This marks the first time that the regular logos are used with the "Look S" graphics - I believe these stations went the entire 2021 calendar year using the "Olympic" versions of their station logos.  Has that ever happened before?

Yeah, KNSD is back to the regular 7, and not the notched 7. So I guess the notch was specific to the Olympic logo.

• Like 1

WBTS is back to having the NBC peacock cover part of the number 10 in their logo.

Side note - when WBTS launched, it was known simply as "NBC Boston", and had a logo very similar to KNTV.  Why did they abandon that logo/branding in favor of being called "NBC 10 Boston", especially when there is a very close by NBC 10 in Providence?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kdex86 said:

Honestly, I hardly notice as when I watch I'm more focused on news content.   

That being said, the NBC O&O's always revert to non olympic ring logos as soon as the Olympics are over.  This past year has been a unique situation.  The pandemic delayed Summer Olympics were only 6 months ago, give or take, and were quickly followed by the Winter Olympics.  It may be one of several reasons viewership was low - Olympic fatigue.  Personally I watched the few events I was interested in rather than wall to wall coverage and often watched it live on Peacock.

13 hours ago, kdex86 said:

WBTS is back to having the NBC peacock cover part of the number 10 in their logo.

Side note - when WBTS launched, it was known simply as "NBC Boston", and had a logo very similar to KNTV.  Why did they abandon that logo/branding in favor of being called "NBC 10 Boston", especially when there is a very close by NBC 10 in Providence?

The reason WBTS labels itself as "NBC 10 Boston" despite actually being on channel 15 is due to the channel being on channel 10 on most cable and satellite providers. And speaking of KNTV, when they were bought by NBC it was initially branded as NBC 3 as it was on channel 3 on most providers.

29 minutes ago, NYTV said:

The reason WBTS labels itself as "NBC 10 Boston" despite actually being on channel 15 is due to the channel being on channel 10 on most cable and satellite providers. And speaking of KNTV, when they were bought by NBC it was initially branded as NBC 3 as it was on channel 3 on most providers.

Given the quickly dwindling subscription rate, only 72.7 million by 2023 from 100m in 2017, it's making less sense to brand your channel by cable position.