NBC O&O Graphics - 2021 Look S

NBC 5 Chicago

While all other Look S stations align their logos and wordings in the intros to the left, KNTV decided to go rogue and make the logos and title wordings go all over the place...😑 Oh and don't get me started on the messed up Peacock colors...

unknown.png

On the music side, they retained most of their LA Groove cuts from Look N (such as the "coming up" vamps, the closing theme). The only exception I observed is the intro.

Edited by ref1997
  • Confused 4

Yeah, looks like they killed off “We Investigate” for this new slogan “Moving You Forward,” in preparation for its new 7pm newscast and I guess they wanted to add it to the intros now by revising it in Look N and now debuting on Look S’ intros.

Im guessing they want to compete with KGO’s “Moving Forward and Building a Better Bay Area.”

Edited by SFTV

1 hour ago, ref1997 said:

While all other Look S stations align their logos and wordings in the intros to the left, KNTV decided to go rogue and make the logos and title wordings go all over the place...😑 Oh and don't get me started on the messed up Peacock colors...

unknown.png

Looks like they screwed up the keying of the logo. Alpha channels are your friend, people.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 1

Something I think they could have done to personalize each open is replace the faint "NEWS" text in that horizontal wipe after the peacock with the call letters of each station. Just gives it a subtle little personality I think.

• Like 1

While the normal KNTV opens look pretty rough, this special open, unbranded for random, primetime sports usage, is very clean. The white end screen is a nice alternative, and the station logo looks better, not being forced to stay between the vertical lines of the primary opens.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

While the normal KNTV opens look pretty rough, this special open, unbranded for random, primetime sports usage, is very clean. The white end screen is a nice alternative, and the station logo looks better, not being forced to stay between the vertical lines of the primary opens.

One other thing I noticed is at 3:26 there is a gray background slate to display their app. WMAQ used it during a reporters piece to show a cell phone picture over the weekend. I didn't know if it was part of the package but after seeing it here too it looks like there is a gray variant other than blue for background slates. It doesn't animate though. 

13 hours ago, 24994J said:

I really like the cut of music they used for the open. Majestic and simple. Also very surprised at how long the close was. Guessing they were wanting to kill some time before rejoining programming? It's a treat to see such long closes these days.

No new music, intro is a bit shorter with only one "wipe", they're still using the four-note sting. Oh and they still have the "NBC 4 New York News at 4" wordings in their titles... even though they brand themselves as "News 4 New York"... thought they'd try to change their title wordings abit but oh well...

image.thumb.png.8795638c8af5f81d54f2abf2c2a761ea.png

image.thumb.png.4e34eb1cf24faab8e9d1676e37342400.pngimage.thumb.png.9b9fe5bd5a57c6d9198bae739230a449.png

image.thumb.png.302b26e03f51e660f6e1ce2855cfa1ee.png

A quick snippet of the first 5 minutes if you're interested, I don't plan to upload to YouTube, somebody probably will anyways... The stings and wipes look great but sounded weird with the old cuts... Especially the intro.

https://streamable.com/9zv5vz

Edited by ref1997
  • Like 2

It looks like they're still using the Look F geographic map wipes (e.g. "Manhattan", "New Jersey"), but the package is so iterative that I suppose they still match. Overall looks great, lovely animations and typography. Glad to be rid of the grey bar on the bottom of Look F!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ref1997 said:

four-note sting

Thanks for getting this. To all the fans of the 4-note sting, sorry, but of all of the "opens" among the O&Os, I was hoping the ones using the 4-note sting would change it; alas, this one seems to be here to stay.

Seems like they've also introduced something new here as well for any web users:

image.png.d7cb17f6ac70946a6bfa9cab2b235a4a.png

47 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

WNBC's open is awful. I'm surprised they're still sticking with LA Groove. At least use the actual open to match the graphics. The 4 note sting just does not go well at all. Really surprised they did that. 

My hot take is every station should use WMAQ's "new" (really used by WCAU first among the O&Os) open. But I was also a 360 fan so I admit my biases. Regardless, I believe it has the most impact, but anyways, that's just my take.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

My hot take is every station should use WMAQ's "new" (really used by WCAU first among the O&Os) open. But I was also a 360 fan so I admit my biases. Regardless, I believe it has the most impact, but anyways, that's just my take.

The days of Don Pardo voiceovers, introducing the newscast and talent, with grand music is long gone,.  I'm not sure viewers really cared.  This gets the newscast started quickly and provide the viewers with information quickly.  It's been like that for so long we are used to it here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, newscopter7 said:

I’d say the days of WNBC as the flagship is gone—they been replaced by WCAU. 

The perennial market leader continues with voiceovers and clear, recognizable, sonic branding. 

Wait… what? 

11 minutes ago, noggi said:

Wait… what? 

WCAU studios being in the headquarters of Comcast gives them easier access to the execs. Rockefeller Plaza is no longer the center of all things NBC; therefore the prominence of ‘CAU has risen. It is the 4th largest market (Philadelphia) so that shouldn’t be surprising.

Of course WNBC is the East Coast “Flagship” and KNBC is it’s West Coast Counterpart. But WCAU is definitely at the top of the NBC O&O’s food chain. The money poured into the station would definitely make it a contender for “flagship” lite. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Speaking of that, ‘CAU should go back and use that 360 theme FULL FORCE (LA Groove’s not it) for the opens again…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, groupwfan said:

Speaking of that, ‘CAU should go back and use that 360 theme FULL FORCE (LA Groove’s not it) for the opens again…

Nah, WCAU needs something fresh at this point. The mix of 360 for the teases and LA Groove for everything else isn't cutting it for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I believe the station omits using the "time" bug for the 11pm. 

No problem with the clock.

WCVB also omits the time bug at 11  but that is because the do a sports score crawl and the Hearst template can't do both. 

A book could be written about WBTS and its 4 1/2 years on the air. Comcast engineers and lawyers figured out a way to create an O&O from scratch just to divorce themselves from WHDH. Today their OTA signal is equal with every other station in the market piggybacking on WGBX and their new studios in Needham are top notch. 

Rebranding as NBC 10 in 2018 still causes confusion with NBC 10 (WJAR) in adjacent Providence south and west of the city.